When homemade lasagna comes to the table, everyone seems to want seconds. And thirds! This classic lasagna recipe is the perfect dish and always has my family cleaning their plates and eating up every last bit until they’re stuffed!
Best Lasagna Recipe
This is the best lasagna recipe you’ll find out there because it uses fresh herbs in it which elevates the flavors. Serve it for a family gathering or just immediate family and you’re going to get lots of those “Mmmmm” sounds!
What Ingredients Do I Need for Lasagna?
- Ricotta cheese – how else can you get that dreamy, creamy, cheesy filling? If you don’t have ricotta, no worries, cottage cheese is a great substitute.
- Marinara sauce – it’s the best red tomato sauce for the job!
- Lasagna noodles – you can even get the no boil noodles to save some time!
- Cheeses – you’ll need both grated parmesan and fresh mozzarella to create your cheese blend.
- Fresh herbs – chopped parsley and basil are the best in lasagna.
- Meat – This classic lasagna recipe calls for ground beef, if you are running low you can substitute a blend of ground beef and Italian sausage which is a delicious way to create your Bolognese Sauce. If you are vegetarian and prefer it to be meatless, you can simply omit it. Cheese lasagna is also amazing, and so is adding spinach for an extra boost of veggies.
Easy Lasagna Recipe
I know amazing lasagna might look difficult, but I promise it’s so easy. It’s all about layering and you’ll see exactly how to do that below. Once you do it once, you’ll always know how to make this easy lasagna recipe!
Lasagna is not just spaghetti flavored cake.
How Do You Make Lasagna from Scratch?
Making lasagna from scratch doesn’t mean you need an Italian Nona to come help you. All you need are a few key ingredients (see below) to put together. They’re easy to find so it won’t take you long at the supermarket.
The big emphasis I want to make here is what takes it to the next level. Using fresh chopped parsley and basil makes it taste like something you’d get from your favorite Italian restaurant.
How Many Layers Should Lasagna Have?
One box of lasagna noodles should have you at about 4 layers. However, your lasagna layers can vary if you’re using a differently sized pan. You’ll want to fit 3 lasagna noodles across the bottom and then stack it accordingly in layers until you’ve used up all the ingredients.
After combining the meat (if using) and sauce, you’ll put sauce down first, then noodles, then ricotta, and repeat until you’re finished.
Pro tip: Runny Lasagna
Why is my lasagna so runny?
To prevent the common problem of runny lasagna. You must let your lasagna rest for a minimum of 15 minutes once you take it out of the oven. This allows it to set in shape. You won’t have to do this when you reheat it but the first time you pull it out of the oven, it must sit so it can solidify.
If your marinara meat sauce is too runny, you can add one small can of tomato paste to thicken it without altering the traditional lasagna flavor.
How Long Should I Bake Lasagna?
In this classic lasagna recipe, you should bake it covered with aluminum foil for 30 minutes. There will be 2 minutes of broiling after that to get the cheese on top nicely browned and bubbly.
What to Serve with Lasagna (Side Dishes)
Nothing goes better with lasagna than fresh garlic bread! You can also serve up a garden salad brimming with vegetables or a sautéed side dish of broccoli rabe, garlic spinach, or asparagus.
Can You Freeze Lasagna?
I love making lasagna ahead of time and stuffing it in my freezer. It’s a smart way to have a ready-to-make dinner ready to go on a busy night. Just double or even triple the recipe below and then freeze that extra. You’ll want to defrost it in the fridge overnight the day before and then simply follow the baking instructions you see below.
How to Reheat Lasagna
The absolute best way to reheat your lasagna from the fridge is by putting it in a bake-safe dish, adding about 2 tablespoons of water, and covering it with aluminum foil. This keeps it from drying out. Put it at 350F for 15 to 25 minutes until heated through.
You can also put it in your toaster oven if you’re just heating a piece for yourself. The microwave is my least favorite way but it works. Just a few minutes and it’s ready though do yourself a favor and cover it with a paper towel to keep it from making a mess.
Best Homemade Lasagna Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef (cooked and drained)
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 5 cups ricotta cheese (whole milk)
- 2 1/2 cups parmesan cheese (grated)
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- 3 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 3 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 15 lasagna sheets (noodles)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large saucepan, cook 1 lb of ground beef over medium high heat until cooked through and is no longer pink. Drain well.
- Mix the prepared beef with 4 cups of marinara sauce to make your meat sauce. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, parmesan, fresh parsley, basil, salt, black pepper, and olive oil and set aside.
- In your lasagna baking dish, spread a thing layer of the marinara and meat mixture on the bottom. Place 3 lasagna noodles lengthwise in the dish to create a layer of pasta. Spread enough ricotta mixture to cover the noodles, then add a layer of the fresh mozzarella cheese. Repeat these layers until you’re out of mixture. (*This recipe uses no boil lasagna noodles. If you have noodles that require boiling, fill a large pot with hot water and boil them for the recommended time. Then rinse the nooldes in cool water before layering)
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350F, then uncover and broil on low for 1-2 minutes.
More lasagna recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.