Apple crisp is one of those desserts that leaves your house smelling like apples, cinnamon, and sugar but without the hassle of making a pie. You don’t need to wait for a special occasion to treat your family either. It’s a surefire crowd-pleaser though so anytime you have company coming, make this apple crisp recipe. Or do what I do and surprise your husband and kids!
Best Apple Crisp Recipe
The best apple crisp recipe keeps it simple with fresh ingredients and pantry staples to turn out an epic dessert that everyone gobbles up. Don’t forget vanilla ice cream to top it off with!
Homemade Apple Crisp Ingredients
- Apples – Granny Smooth apples are the best for an apple crisp! …and one of the best apples for baking in general
- Old fashioned oats – This is for your apple crisp topping and a staple for any apple crisp recipe with oats.
- All-purpose flour and baking powder – The other essentials to make your topping.
- Unsalted butter – You want to dice it into cubes to make the topping the right way.
- Cinnamon – It’s the flavor every apple crisp with oats needs.
- Sugar – you’ll need both dark brown and light brown sugars in this recipe.
- Lemon juice – Keeps your apples from turning brown and ugly.
- Vanilla extract – For the perfect way contrast of sweetness.
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
Apple crisp only looks like it has a lot of ingredients for the topping and filling. Much of it is the same stuff, so make sure you measure it first and it will keep you from feeling bogged down. In just 30 minutes, you can have this prepped and ready to bake.
How do you Make Apple Crisp from Scratch
You’ll preheat your oven and make the topping in a small bowl with the dry ingredients first. Then you’ll add the butter and mix it with your fingers until it makes a crumbly texture. Chill it while you make the filling. When the filling is ready, you’ll pour it over the apples and then pour all that into your greased baking dish. Then you’ll add the topping in an even layer. Bake for about 35 minutes and let it cool just a little before serving it.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Apple Crisp Every Time
- Choose good apples for baking. Granny Smith are among the best but Honeycrisp, Braeburn, or Jonagold will also work well as cooking apples.
- No time to deal with peeling apples? You can use canned pie filling though it won’t be quite as good.
- You can make this apple crisp with oatmeal gluten free by replacing the flour and baking powder with gluten-free versions. Also, make sure to buy gluten-free oats.
What apples are best for apple crisp?
Granny Smith apples are the best apples for apple crisp, and for baking, period. But if you can’t find those, Braeburn, Jonagold, or Honeycrisp will also work nicely.
Are gala apples good for apple crisp?
While I recommend Granny Smith apples for this recipe, if you have gala apples, you’ll have a nice taste too. The texture will be a bit different though as they are not the crispiest.
Life was easier when apple and blackberry were just fruits.
Why is Apple Crisp not crispy?
Don’t forget to evenly distribute the butter with the topping. That melted butter helps crisp everything up on top for the perfect texture and flavor!
Why is my apple crisp watery?
You need to use flour and baking powder to help turn the juices from the apples into a thickened sauce. By following this recipe, you’ll avoid having a runny apple crisp.
What is the difference between apple crisp and apple brown betty?
These two desserts are very much alike. But the difference is in that an apple crisp contains oats in the topping while an apple brown betty does not.
What is the difference between apple crisp and apple crumble?
It’s not just a difference in wording. With an apple crumble recipe, it uses a streusel-like topping of sugar, flour, and butter rather than one with oats.
How Long to Bake Apple Crisp
Apple crisp recipe with oats and melted butter should bake for 35 minutes at 375F. It should be bubbly and the apples should be fork-tender.
Should you cover apple crisp when baking?
No, you shouldn’t need to cover your apple crisp as it bakes. But if you check on it and the apples aren’t quite tender but the top is getting too brown, you can cover it to prevent it from burning while the apples catch up.
How do you keep apple crisp topping crispy?
For an apple crisp recipe with oatmeal, the key is to refrigerate that topping after your prep it with the butter. Once everything else has been assembled, you can add the topping.
How do you know if Apple Crisp is done?
The fruit filling will be bubbly and topping will be brown and crisp when your apple crisp is done.
Why is my apple crisp dry?
If your apple crisp is dry, you didn’t use enough butter. Make sure to follow this apple crisp recipe to ensure you’ve got the proper measurements.
How do you keep apple crisp from getting soggy?
If it’s soggy, you’ve got to remember to refrigerate the topping with butter before you add it to the crisp. It doesn’t need long, just enough time as you prepare the rest of the dessert so that it will cook up crispy rather than turn soggy.
What to Serve with Apple Crisp
Vanilla ice cream is my family’s favorite way to have apple crisp. I also love using hot caramel sauce on top. Whipped cream is another way to do it. And if you really want to indulge, use all three!
How to Store Apple Crisp
You’ll want to cover your apple crisp well and put it in the fridge once everyone is full. This will keep it fresh.
Does Apple Crisp need to be refrigerated?
Yes, it does. While you should let it cool slightly before serving (no more than 10 minutes), after everyone is finished enjoying it, wrap it up and put it away.
How Long Does Apple Crisp Last?
In the fridge, apple crisp with oat topping will last for about a week. I wouldn’t know though since we’ve never had any stick around longer than 3 days.
Can You Freeze Apple Crisp?
Believe it or not, you can freeze apple crisp. It’s your choice to do so either before or after you bake it. It will last about 2 to 3 months.
How to Reheat Apple Crisp?
Let your apple crisp thaw in the fridge the night before. Then heat it in the oven on a low temperature until it’s warm.
Watch How To Make Apple Crisp (Video)
Classic Apple Crisp Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (diced into cubes)
Apple Crisp Filling
- 2 lbs Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, and sliced about 1/8-inch)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 375F and grease an 8x8 baking pan. First, make the topping. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Then, add in the diced butters and using your fingers, mix the butter in until becomes crumbly. Chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling. In another mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter and flour, then add in the water, lemon juice, and vanilla. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pinch of salt. Pour the butter mixture over the apples, tossing to evenly coat. Once evenly coated, pour the apple mixture into a prepared baking dish, spreading in an even layer. Sprinkle the topping in an even layer over the apples.
- Bake at 375F for about 35 minutes or until the apples are fork tender. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
More apple crisp recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.