When my kids were little, it was difficult to get them to eat zucchini. But they always ate zucchini bread when I made it. If you’re hoping to get your kids to eat more veggies or you just want something delicious to serve for breakfast, dessert, or a snack to send with your husband to work, make this zucchini bread recipe!
Best Zucchini Bread Recipe
This is the best zucchini bread recipe because it’s made from wholesome ingredients and is so simple to make. You don’t need to be an expert baker to make this bread. And trust me, you’ll be amazed that zucchini helps you make a bread this delish!
Zucchini Bread Ingredients
- Zucchini – The star of any healthy zucchini bread recipe! You’ll need to grate it but don’t drain it.
- White sugar and brown sugar – For both kinds of sweetness.
- Unsweetened applesauce – Balances the flavor of this delicious bread while helping keep your zucchini bread moist. A staple for any zucchini bread with applesauce recipe.
- Eggs – You’ll need 2 for binding.
- All-purpose flour – Helps create the batter.
- Baking powder – Gives your zucchini bread the lift it needs.
- Vanilla extract – Provides that beautiful sweet taste.
- Cinnamon – Rounds out the sweetness.
- Orange zest – Gives it a pop of citrus taste.
- Walnuts – Chopped walnuts add a nice texture to this, though feel free to omit.
Easy Zucchini Bread Recipe
It doesn’t take long to make this zucchini bread from scratch. The directions are really easy and the ingredients are things you’ll likely have on-hand in your kitchen. Once you get it together, you can relax while it bakes up and makes your home smell inviting!
Make friends with veggies!
How do you Make Zucchini Bread from Scratch?
You’ll preheat the oven to 350F and get a 9×5 inch loaf pan greased and ready. Then you’ll put the zucchini, sugars, applesauce, canola oil, eggs, and vanilla together. After that, you’ll add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Don’t overmix, just combine and pour this batter into the pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the center comes out clean when you insert a skewer or toothpick into it. Let it cool 15 minutes, then set on a wire rack to completely cool. Chill it in the fridge before serving.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Zucchini Bread Every Time
- Get the measurements right. Even though zucchini bread is a quick bread, if you have something off, it will mess with the outcome.
- Avoid overmixing. Once it’s just combined, that’s when it’s ready. Overmixing will give you gummy zucchini bread.
- Don’t drain your grated zucchini. In other zucchini recipes, that liquid is a curse, but in this bread, it keeps it nice and moist. Along with the applesauce, it lends a lovely texture that is never dry.
- No nuts? No problem! You can omit the walnuts or use something else instead like dried cranberries or chocolate chips. Feel free to make without any add-ins first and see what you’d like to add next time.
What is the point of zucchini bread?
Zucchini bread is a great way to use up a bounty of this summer vegetable. It helps you get more nutrition in, and is a sneaky way to get kids to eat veggies they would normally turn down.
How do you prepare zucchini for bread?
You will need your grater for the job. Simply grate the zucchini and don’t drain it.
Do you peel zucchini before making bread?
You do not need to peel zucchini when making zucchini brad. Wash it off well first and then grate it.
Do you grate zucchini with skin on for zucchini bread?
Leave the skin on for zucchini bread, though be sure to wash the exterior of it well first.
How do you drain zucchini for bread?
In this recipe, I encourage you not to drain the zucchini. It helps keep the bread moist. But if you want to drain it, you can put the grated zucchini in a cheesecloth and give it a squeeze.
What can I substitute for oil in zucchini bread?
Applesauce is great for that. While this recipe uses oil and applesauce, you’re using more of the applesauce for a naturally sweet and moist way to bring this bread together.
How to Cook Zucchini Bread?
You’ll combine the wet ingredients, then add in the dry ingredients, then pour the batter into your loaf pan and bake.
How Long to Bake Zucchini Bread?
At 350F, zucchini bread needs to bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
How do you know when zucchini bread is done?
At the end of the baking time, stick a toothpick or skewer in the center. If it comes out with minimal crumbs, it is ready.
Why did my zucchini bread come out dry?
If you drained the liquid from the zucchini, chances are you’ll have dry zucchini bread. Follow this recipe and you will have the perfect moist zucchini bread recipe texture you desire.
Why is my zucchini bread so heavy?
You may have been off in your measurements for the oil, baking powder, or baking soda. Make sure you get them all measured correctly and it will bring balance.
Why does zucchini bread sink in the middle?
If you mixed the batter too vigorously, this could cause your zucchini bread to sink down in the center.
What goes well with Zucchini Bread?
Since zucchini bread can be eaten for breakfast, snacks, or dessert, it is great anytime. Have it with coffee in the morning. Grab a slice for a snack in the afternoon. And after any meal, you can serve your zucchini bread as a dessert. It’s purely delicious on its own!
How to Store Zucchini Bread
Zucchini bread can be stored on the counter in an airtight container, or you can use your fridge.
How Long Does Zucchini Bread Last?
On the counter, you’ve got 2 to 3 days to eat your zucchini bread. In the fridge, you’ll have up to 5 days to finish it off.
Can You Freeze Zucchini Bread?
Zucchini bread is one of those things that freezes so beautifully, you can make a bounty of them to save for later. However, they are best when used within 2 to 3 months.
How to Reheat Zucchini Bread?
Let your zucchini bread thaw on the counter or in the fridge. You can serve it from there, or feel free to warm it up for a few minutes in the toaster oven or 30 seconds in your microwave if you’re just grabbing a slice.
Watch How To Make Zucchini Bread (Video)
Homemade Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups grated zucchini (not drained)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup walnuts (chopped)
- Preheat your oven to 350F and prepare a basic loaf pan (9x5 inch) with your preferred cooking spray or grease with butter.
- While the oven preheats, combine the zucchini, sugar, brown sugar, applesauce, oil, eggs, and vanilla until thoroughly mixed. Once the wet ingredients are combined, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the bread for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool the pan for about 15 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely. Bread is best served after being chilled in the fridge.
More zucchini bread recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.