Be still, my heart! Chicken and dumplings is one of my favorite dishes to make. It’s so hearty and soothing, the perfect comfort food. With this chicken and dumplings recipe, my family always comes back for seconds and yours will too!
Best Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Tender, juicy, and utterly delicious, this is the best chicken and dumplings recipe. It has a luscious taste and texture that you and your whole family will love. Plus, it’s easier than you think to make this southern dish!
Chicken and Dumplings Ingredients
- Rotisserie chicken – shred up your leftover rotisserie chicken for a simple and delicious way to make this classic homemade chicken and dumplings recipe. Using rotisserie chicken makes chicken dumplings super easy.
- Chicken stock – this will make up the broth for your chicken and dumpling soup.
- Evaporated milk – gives your creamy chicken and dumplings broth a creamier texture.
- Fresh veggies – yellow onion, matchstick carrots, and celery add more flavor and nutrition to your meal.
- Seasonings – thyme and rosemary add a savory and warming component.
- Homemade dumplings – these are easy to make with all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, melted butter, and whole milk plus seasonings.
I am the emperor, and I want dumplings.
Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Do you have 20 minutes? That’s all it takes to put together this recipe. The rest is cooking time. It’s a wonderful dish for when you need something soothing. And with easy ingredients you likely have in your kitchen right as you read this, you won’t have to run to the store.
How do you Make Chicken and Dumplings from Scratch
You’ll first cook the veggies in butter until they soften. Then you’ll add the flour followed by chicken stock and evaporated milk to make the broth. When it boils, you’ll add the chicken and seasonings. Make the dumplings while the soup simmers, forming into balls that you’ll drop directly into the pot. Once these are cooked through, your homemade chicken and dumplings recipe is ready!
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Chicken and Dumplings Soup
- When you’re learning how to make dumpling dough, the key is not to overmix it. You can use a melon baller to scoop and release them easily into the soup too.
- Don’t stir the dumplings while they’re cooking. You’ll break them apart.
- You don’t need perfect shapes for those dumplings either. When they have those little rough edges, that makes the best texture and taste.
How to Cook Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and dumplings is cooked on the stovetop. You’ll make the soup base first and then as that simmers, get your dumpling dough together. Once you drop it in, it’s just a waiting game until it’s finished.
How long does it take to make chicken and dumplings from scratch?
The total time from prep to plating will take you 55 minutes to make chicken and dumplings from scratch. Before you know it, you’ll be done!
Should you cover dumplings when cooking?
Your dumplings should be submerged under the surface of the soup. You should push them down gently with your spoon when you drop them in.
How long should I boil dumplings?
Your dumplings should be boiled about 15 minutes. Check them to be sure they’ve cooked through.
How long does it take for dumplings to cook?
All told, it should take about 15 minutes for your dumplings to cook. Set a timer and then check them to be sure.
How do you know when dumplings are done in chicken and dumplings?
At 15 minutes, take a toothpick and poke a dumpling. If the toothpick comes out clean, your dumplings are ready.
Do dumplings float when done?
Yes, they tend to float but you should be watching the time and relying on using a toothpick to see if they are cooked through.
Is chicken and dumplings supposed to be soupy?
Yes, since Southern chicken and dumplings is a soup, though it eats more like a meal. It is sometimes referred to as chicken dumpling soup.
How do you thicken chicken and dumplings?
In this homemade dumpling recipe, the all-purpose flour should render your chicken and dumplings plenty thick. But if it’s still too watery for you, make a cornstarch slurry and stir it in until you get your desired consistency.
How do you make dumplings that don’t dissolve?
Follow this chicken dumpling recipe and be sure not to drop your dumplings in until you’ve lowered the temperature so the boiling slows down.
How do you keep dumplings from dissolving?
If you follow this recipe, you won’t have dumplings that dissolve. Another tip is to keep from throwing them into a rolling boil.
Why are my dumplings chewy?
You likely overmixed your dumpling batter if your dumplings are chewy. Overmixing makes the glutens build in the flour and creates a tough texture.
What goes well with Chicken and Dumplings
Since this is a southern recipe, you can’t go wrong with cornbread. Also, a nice garden salad, fried okra, roasted brussels sprouts, or even sauteed green beans all go very well with this dish.
How to Store Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and dumplings need to be stored in the fridge. You’ll want to seal it in an airtight container to keep the flavors fresh.
How Long Do Chicken and Dumplings Last?
You’ll have about 5 days to use up your chicken and dumplings from the fridge. If you’ve got too much to finish off before then, you’ll want to put it in your freezer.
Can You Freeze Chicken and Dumplings?
You bet! You’ll just need it to cool first before freezing. Whether in storage bags or airtight containers, it will last 3 to 4 months when frozen.
How to Reheat Chicken and Dumplings?
When you want to reheat chicken and dumplings, do so on your stovetop. From frozen, thaw it overnight in the fridge first.
Watch How To Make Chicken and Dumplings (Video)
Classic Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 1/4 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 4 1/2 cups rotisserie chicken (shredded)
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- black pepper (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- black pepper (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 tbsp butter (melted)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the melted butter and cook for 5 minutes. Once the vegetables have softened, add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Once fragrant, add the flour and stir to combine. Once combined, add the evaporated milk and chicken stock and stir, then bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in the chicken, thyme, and black pepper and salt. Allow the soup to simmer uncovered.
- While the soup simmers, make the dumplings. Whisk together flour, baking powder, pepper, salt, and thyme in a large bowl. Create a well in the center of the mixture and pour the butter and milk into the center. Use a rubber spatula or your hands to mix until a dough ball forms.
- Form the dough balls into two tablespoons worth and place directly into the simmering pot. Gently press them down into the soup so they are slightly covered. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through. Once the dumplings are cooked through, serve immediately.
More chicken and dumplings recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.