Homemade peanut butter cookies are always a favorite in this household. No matter how many I make, they vanish almost as soon as I put them out on a plate. When we have friends and relatives come over, I’ll usually make up several batches of this soft peanut butter cookie recipe so that everyone can enjoy.
Best Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
It’s simply the BEST peanut butter cookie recipe there is. It’s so easy that you can make it even if you’ve never made cookies from scratch before. In fact, this little taste of success can help you dive deeper into baking. There’s no more delicious way to start!
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Cookies
- Creamy peanut butter – A creamy texture makes it easier to mix into the dough. Skippy or Jif works great for chewy peanut butter cookies.
- All-purpose flour – The natural choice for baking cookies (can use gluten-free!).
- Baking soda and baking powder– Gives your peanut butter cookies more lift (you can use gluten-free baking powder too).
- Unsalted butter – Soften it first, and choose unsalted because peanut butter is a bit salty on its own, plus you’ll add a pinch of salt to the dough too.
- Sugar – A combination of granulated and brown sugars gives balance in sweetness and caramelized flavors.
- Egg – Binds it all together.
- Vanilla extract – This will give the peanut butter flavor some dimension.
Easy Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
When I tell you this is an easy peanut butter cookie recipe, believe it. It’s just 10 ingredients mixed together plus 15 minutes of prep time. After about 8 minutes of baking time, these delicious peanut-buttery cookies will be coming out of the oven. Why are you still sitting there? Get up and make these super easy peanut butter cookies!
Cookies make the world a better place.
How do you Make Peanut Butter Cookies from Scratch
Making the best peanut butter cookies for your family is simple. All you need to do is whisk the dry ingredients together, blend the moist ones together, and then combine them both. After the dough is formed, you’ll roll them into balls. Then take your fork and give the signature peanut butter cookie marks and bake until done.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Peanut Butter Cookies Every Time
- Roll your peanut butter cookie dough into balls. This gets their size and shape in proportion so they all cook evenly.
- Refrigerate if you can. With any cookie dough, if you can refrigerate it, it will come out better. But if you can’t wait for your cookies, bake them up.
- To achieve that old fashion peanut butter cookies look, use a fork to make a crisscross pattern. You don’t HAVE TO but it does give them that signature look that screams “PEANUT BUTTER COOKIESSSSS!!!!”
Which ingredient makes cookies moist and tender?
In this simple peanut butter cookie recipe, the way to a tender cookie is using an egg, softened unsalted butter, and creamy peanut butter. Additionally, taking care not to overbake it will help too.
Can I use natural peanut butter for cookies?
Yes, though you will need to stir it very well to get the texture up to speed. If choosing unsalted, be sure to add a little salt to it too.
How do you make peanut butter cookies taste better?
One of the best ways to make simple peanut butter cookies better is to use vanilla extract as is in this recipe. Additionally, using two different types of sugar helps with a layered sweetness to contrast with the peanut butter.
How do you know when peanut butter cookies are done?
When the tops of your baked cookies are lightly browned and they’ve spread to about 3 inches in diameter, these cookies are done. They should feel a little soft to the touch when they come out of the oven but will firm up as they cool. Let them sit on the pan for a minute before moving them to cool.
Why do my peanut butter cookies not taste like peanut butter?
In this simple peanut butter cookie recipe, your cookies will taste like peanut butter. But that’s only if you follow the recipe. Don’t use questionable peanut butter and you will have very peanut buttery cookies.
Why are my peanut butter cookies falling apart?
If your cookies are falling apart, you’ve likely baked them too long. You only need 8 to 9 minutes. When you pull them out of the oven, they continue to cook on the tray so follow the baking time.
Why are my peanut butter cookies hard?
If your peanut butter cookies are hard, you likely cooked them for too long. They should not be baked for more than 8 or 9 minutes.
Why are my peanut butter cookies dry?
Watch how you measure your flour. Too much and it can result in dry cookies!
What makes cookies soft and moist?
Want a soft and chewy peanut butter cookie? Take them out of the oven earlier to get this texture. Remember, they keep cooking on the baking tray even after they’re out of the oven. Below you will find a chewy peanut butter cookies recipe.
How Long to Bake Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut butter cookies will take about 8 to 9 minutes in an oven preheated to 350F. While that isn’t very long, it definitely feels like forever when you want cookies!
How to Store Peanut Butter Cookies
You can keep peanut butter cookies stored at room temperature in an airtight container. They’ll be best when you eat them within 4 to 6 days. You can also take your bounty and freeze them in a freezer bag for as long as 3 months.
How Long Do Peanut Butter Cookies Last?
Technically, they can last 2 to 3 weeks. This has never happened in my house though. These babies are long gone before then!
Can You Freeze Peanut Butter Cookies?
Yes, you can! Just seal them well in a freezer bag and use them within 3 months.
How to Thaw Peanut Butter Cookies?
Is it time to grab your stash of frozen PB cookies? Simply let them sit out at room temperature and you’ll be good to go.
Classic Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350F and prepare your baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- Then, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Next, with an electric handheld mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until thoroughly combined. Mix in the peanut butter, then the egg and vanilla. Mix this on a low setting, then slowly add in the flour mixture until just combined. Once the dough has been thoroughly combined, it is time to place on the baking sheet.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into balls, placing them on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Use a fork to flatten the cookies slightly in a criss cross pattern and bake cookies for about 8-9 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on flat plates or a wire rack completely before serving.
More peanut butter cookie recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.