Hang onto those last days of summer with easy chicken salad alfresco! My family loves having a little picnic in the yard or even taking our chicken salad sandwiches over to the park for a fun day.
Best Chicken Salad Recipe
The best chicken salad recipe comes from taking simple and fresh ingredients and throwing them together. It has a tangy flavor from Dijon mustard and fresh dill that everyone will love.
Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
Do you know this chicken salad recipe has less than 10 ingredients? Excluding salt and pepper to taste, that makes just 7 ingredients. It’s so easy you’ll be ready to embark on your picnic in no time!
Ingredients in Chicken Salad
- Rotisserie chicken – Now you will never let one of those succulent chickens go to waste. Serve the chicken for dinner the night before and save the rest of the meat for your chicken salad!
- Celery – Adds a nice contrast of texture and savory flavor.
- Mayonnaise – Makes it creamy
- Dijon mustard – Adds a zing to the taste
- Fresh dill – It has such an appealing aroma and flavor that gives this chicken salad a country-club-style on a familiar classic.
How to Make Chicken Salad from Scratch
This classic chicken salad recipe makes it easy to make a refreshing and nutritious lunch from scratch. Simply chop up your rotisserie chicken, add the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, and mix. There really is nothing to it except using fresh ingredients!
Expert Tips and Tricks for Chicken Salad Success!
- Use any chicken – If you don’t have rotisserie chicken, you can utilize leftover chicken from the grill or cooked chicken breasts. It shouldn’t be breaded or saucy though as that will interfere with the flavor.
- You can use another type of onion – This recipe calls for green onions but don’t worry if you don’t have them. Red onions would also do nicely, though white ones might overpower the flavor.
- Make sure everything is bite-size – You don’t want your chicken, celery, or onions to be more than a mouthful!
- For the health conscious – you can substitute the regular mayonnaise with light mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt.
What to Serve with Chicken Salad (Side Dishes)
Round out your perfect picnic and serve your chicken salad with potato chips, macaroni salad, potato salad, dill pickles, or even take along a thermos of tomato bisque, creamy potato and bacon, or broccoli and cheese soup.
A salad is not a meal. It is a style.
How to Store Chicken Salad
Chicken salad can remain in your fridge for up to a week in an airtight container. That makes it perfect for everyone to make their own sandwiches as they see fit. It doesn’t freeze well though so keep it only in your fridge and don’t make more than you can eat in a week!
Other Ways to Serve Chicken Salad
I love filling fresh breads with chicken salad to make sandwiches. Served with lettuce, onion, and tomato on toasted bread is perfect, but you can take out the bread and wrap it in lettuce, or serve a scoop on top of a bed of lettuce too.
Another great way to serve chicken salad is to scoop out a tomato or halve an avocado and fill them up. Celery and cucumbers are other ways to replace the bread and enjoy the deliciousness of chicken salad.
Is eating chicken salad good for you?
This easy recipe uses fresh ingredients, making it a nutritious and delicious option. If you want to cut more calories, you can use light mayonnaise instead.
Is it OK to freeze chicken salad?
You can freeze chicken salad. However, chicken salad doesn’t bode well in the freezer. We recommend consuming your supply within 3-4 days.
How long does homemade chicken salad last?
Chicken salad will last about a week in an airtight container in your fridge. It’s convenient for grab-and-go lunches for everyone in the family.
Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken rotisserie, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp fresh dill
- 1/2 lemon juice fresh squeezed
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded rotisserie chicken, green onion, chopped celery, dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and fresh dill. Add in the salt and pepper to taste and mix untill well combined.
- Finish with the juice of 1/2 a lemon and top with chopped green onion.
- Serve as is or add to a toasted sandwich with sliced tomato, lettuce and avocado! YUM!!!
More chicken salad recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.