For Super Bowl or any other gathering, I’m always asked if I’m serving this pico de gallo recipe. I have to double it or else it’s gone within the first 15 to 30 minutes of serving. Everyone loves it, and when you make fresh salsa like this you will never get that jarred junk again.
Best Pico de Gallo Recipe
Pico de gallo is a type of salsa fresca but it’s chunkier. The key to the best pico de gallo is using super-fresh ingredients. You can’t go wrong with that, and while it tastes so good, it has plenty of good-for-you nutrients too!
Easy Pico de Gallo Recipe
This pico de gallo recipe is so easy, you can make it just minutes before guests arrive and they’d never know. In only 10 minutes from start to finish, you’ll have fresh pico de gallo that no one can resist. Plus its very versatile making it the perfect condiment.
Ingredients in Pico de Gallo
- Fresh tomatoes – use the reddest and ripest ones you can find!
- Onion – white onions give the best, most authentic flavor over red onion.
- Jalapeño – gives it a little kick. If you don’t have jalapeno pepper you can substitute a serrano pepper.
- Cilantro – fresh is best though dried will do in a pinch.
- Lime juice – squeeze it fresh for the best taste.
- Salt – just a little bit unites all the fresh flavors.
What’s different between salsa and pico de gallo?
Basically, it comes down to the texture. Traditional pico de gallo is chunkier than tomato salsa though they do share the same ingredients.
How do you Make Pico de Gallo from Scratch
All it takes is a food processor! Add all the ingredients, turn it on and chop! That’s it!
I seriously could have chips and salsa for dinner everyday.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Pico de Gallo Every Time
- Fresher is better. The fresher your ingredients, the better the taste will be.
- Use white onions. They have a sharp flavor but it works so well with the citrusy lime and tomatoes for perfect contrast.
- Red tomatoes are a must. Don’t settle for pink tomatoes in this recipe! They should be as red as possible.
- Skip the garlic – Fresh garlic is great in guacamole. But for pico de gallo, skip it.
- Mango is a great addition – if you’ve never had mango salsa, you have to try it. Simply add in fresh diced mango to the recipe. It adds a delicious sweetness!
What Tomatoes are Best for Pico de Gallo?
The type matters a bit less than what they look like. I recommend choosing what’s seasonally fresh by you. Vine-ripened and heirloom are great summer options but even Roma tomatoes are a go. They just need to be as red as can be for any tomato you use.
What onion is best for Pico de Gallo?
White onions make for the best pico de gallo. They have a sharp taste but that is tamed by the other ingredients for a perfect pairing.
What can I add to Pico de Gallo to make it better?
It’s all in the lime juice and cilantro. Make sure they’re fresh, and that your tomatoes are fresh too. Even if you hate spicy things, don’t skip the jalapeno. Adding just a little bit in will round out the flavor.
How do you make homemade Pico de Gallo spicier?
Add more jalapeno! This will definitely kick it up in heat. However, do taste it first as-is before adding more jalapeno in there.
What to Serve with Pico de Gallo
The options are endless! Put it on the table next to guacamole, cheese dip, or avocado salsa with tortilla chips as a snack. Serve it with any Mexican food main dish like tacos, burritos, fajitas, enchiladas, burrito bowls, and quesadillas. Stir it in scrambled eggs or an omelet. Top off burgers with it too!
How to Store Pico de Gallo
Pico de gallo needs to be kept in the fridge in an airtight container. Don’t let it sit out too long!
How Long Does Pico de Gallo Last?
It’s best to eat your pico de gallo in the same day. It’s rare I’ve had any leftover after making it because it’s so good. You can make it ahead of a party too, but it needs to be used before 3 days are up.
Can You Freeze Pico de Gallo?
Technically, you can freeze pico de gallo. You’ll have a different texture though from the tomatoes and cilantro. Be sure to drain any excess juice before freezing. It should keep up to 3 months.
How to Thaw Frozen Pico de Gallo?
Simply put it in the fridge to thaw. It should be ready to dig into the next day.
Easy Pico De Gallo Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 white onion roughly chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor until finely chopped and thoroughly combined. Serve immediately.
More salsa recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.