If you love chicken pot pie but think it’s too difficult, think again! This old fashioned chicken pot pie recipe comes together quick and easy with fresh ingredients. You’ll never buy a frozen one ever again once you taste this!
Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
My husband will tell you this is absolutely the best chicken pot pie recipe in the world. I used to buy frozen ones for us until I looked at the ingredients and saw preservatives and artificial colors. Gross! There’s nothing artificial here so you can feel safe letting you family dig right in.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- Chicken – With rotisserie chicken ready to go, you’ll make chicken pot pie even easier! Otherwise, cooked chicken breasts work perfect.
- Frozen peas and carrots – Frozen veggies have the same nutrients as fresh but peas and carrots are so much easier to work with frozen.
- Pie crust – A ready-made chicken pot pie crust or even puff pastry makes it even faster to get dinner on the table. Read the ingredients and you’ll see ones that are fresh and free of artificial ingredients. If you have some time, use this homemade chicken pot pie crust recipe.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken pot pie looks difficult to make, but in just 20 minutes, you’ll be done and you can either go put up your feet (DO IT!) or get busy with something else until this comfort food is ready. To make it even faster, make this easy chicken pot pie recipe with pie crust that is store bought.
You can’t be sad when you’re holding chicken pot pie.
How Do You Make Chicken Pot Pie from Scratch?
It’s very easy to make the ultimate in country comfort from scratch. All you need to do is cook everything together on your stove top, let it cool, fill the pie crust, and bake. My steps below will walk you through it. It’s so easy you will wonder why you didn’t do this sooner. Start practicing now so you have the perfect warm and satisfying meal on those chilly nights!
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Chicken Pot Pie
- Use cream or half-and-half – This gives the chicken pot pie filling a lovely, rich and creamy texture.
- Poke holes in the pie crust top – You can’t just put the top part of the pie crust on, crimp the edges, and call it a day. Poke holes to let the steam escape!
- Make mini pot pies – You can also do mini-personal sizes for a cute appetizer at a holiday dinner which will make it easier to serve too.
How to Cook Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie starts out on the stove. You’ll cook up the filling, let it cool, and then fill up the pie crust. It takes just 20 minutes and then, baking it will require another 35 minutes. You’ll want to let it cool about 30 minutes before you plan to serve it.
Is there a difference between chicken pie and chicken pot pie?
Often referred to as a chicken and pastry, chicken pies have a crust and no veggies, or at least very few of them. Meanwhile, chicken pot pies include more veggies, particularly peas and carrots.
How do you make pot pie crust from scratch?
While my recipe for chicken pot pie uses a store bought pie crust, you can make your own if you have the time for it. My buttery flaky pie crust recipe can help you make one from scratch if you’d prefer.
How do you thicken chicken pot pie filling?
You thicken chicken pot pie filling by adding the flour in gradually to your butter and veggie mixture. When it bakes it will thicken up even more.
How long do you cook a chicken pot pie?
Once you’ve made the filling and let it cool, you’ll assemble the pot pie and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 425F.
How do you know when chicken pot pie is done?
Once the crust is golden brown, it’s a surefire sign that your chicken pot pie is ready. If it starts getting too dark too early on before the cook time is up, you can cover it will foil around the edges to keep them from burning.
How do you keep a pot pie crust from getting soggy?
One great step to take to ensure your pot pie stays nice and crisp and free of sogginess is by pre-baking the crust. Just a little pre-baking lets it crisp up slightly so that the wet filling doesn’t bog it down.
What to serve with chicken pot pie?
Salad is also a nice contrast for the richness of chicken pot pie. I also serve corn on the cob, roasted veggies, and sweet potatoes. Even a simple tray of crudites will work too.
Can You Freeze Chicken Pot Pie?
You have a couple options here. You can freeze the filling itself and trot it out when you want to make chicken pot pie. Or you can make an entire chicken pot pie and freeze it whole. Just let it cool first. When you’re ready to make it, you should defrost in your fridge the night before and just follow the baking instructions below.
How to Reheat Chicken Pot Pie Leftovers
If you’re in a hurry, you can microwave your chicken pot pie. However, it can leave you with a soggy crust. Instead, I recommend you heat it in the oven until it’s heated through.
Best Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 5 tbsp butter ((salted))
- 3 garlic cloves ((minced))
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken ( (rotisserie, shredded))
- 1 cup celery ((chopped))
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup yellow onion ((chopped))
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth (chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups half & Half (or heavy cream)
- 1/4 cup parsley ((chopped))
- 1 pie crust ((store bought))
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large saucepan, at medium heat add 5 tablespoons of butter until melted. Once the butter is melted, sauté the minced garlic. Add in the onion, stirring until just caramelized. Then add the chicken, celery, peas and carrots, salt, black pepper thyme. Stir until entire mixture is coated in butter. Slowly add in the flour, then the broth, then the cream. Stir until the sauce thickens. Once the sauce has thickened, stir in the parsley. Set the mixture aside and allow to cool for 25-30 minutes.
- Once cooled, spoon the mixture into the prepared pie shell, spreading evenly. Place the pie crust on top of the mixture. Using your thumb and forefinger, pinch the edge of the top crust all the way around the edge of the bottom crust. With a sharp knife, cut four slits into the center of the pie.
- Bake in the oven on a baking sheet at 425F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
More chicken pot pie recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.