How about an easy meal that your oven takes care of for you? This chicken and rice casserole recipe is one of my favorites for weekends and meal prep. It has a savory flavor that brings my whole family to the table. The kids always want second helpings too. Made with simple ingredients you probably have in your kitchen right now, you’ve got to try it!
Best Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
There’s just 7 simple ingredients here that when combined, create the best chicken and rice recipe. Yes, it takes a while to bake, but your hands-on time is only 10 minutes. You can sit back and relax because tonight’s dinner is taken care of!
Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
Simple ingredients, and simple prep, this easy chicken and rice recipe will be on the table in no time. If you’re new to cooking or are looking for an easy way to please the family for dinner tonight, add this one to your weekly menu!
Chicken and Rice Casserole Ingredients
- Chicken breasts – You’ll use 4 of them. No need to cut them! They just go right into the casserole as-is!
- Long grain white rice – No cooking of this either. Add it uncooked and watch the magic in your oven.
- Onion soup mix – This gives the casserole all that flavor.
- Cream of mushroom soup – Use the condensed style and you’ll have a creamy chicken and rice casserole to look forward to.
- Water – You’ll add this for the soup mix and the can of soup to create enough liquid to cook the chicken and rice.
- Salt and pepper – To taste.
How do you Make Chicken and Rice Casserole from Scratch
You’ll preheat the oven to 325F and spray your casserole dish with cooking spray. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Then add the rice followed by the soup mix. Mix the mushroom soup can with 2 cups of water and pour it over everything. That is the secret to a this creamy chicken and rice recipe. Cover with foil and oven bake for an hour and 15 minutes.
I wonder if chickens do the “people dance” at their weddings?
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Chicken and Rice Casserole Every Time
- Add it all uncooked. This oven baked chicken and rice recipe will cook together in one dish. No need to dirty up any other dishes!
- You can use low sodium versions. If you’re worried about your salt intake, choose the low sodium mushroom soup can.
- Use a big enough casserole dish. For this baked chicken and rice recipe, you should use a 9×13 casserole dish so that you don’t crowd the ingredients or have them overflow.
How to Cook Chicken and Rice Casserole
It’s as simple as throwing it all in your casserole dish, covering with foil, and baking. Chicken rice casserole is that easy!
Can you put raw chicken in a casserole?
Yes! The cook time on this chicken and rice bake recipe in all the liquid will ensure your raw chicken is fully cooked by the time your oven timer dings.
Do I cook rice before adding to casserole?
No. Please don’t cook the rice first. You’ll wind up with a casserole dish full of mush if you do.
Can you put raw uncooked rice in a casserole?
Yes, you must put it raw and uncooked into the casserole. The liquids used will cook it to the perfect texture.
Will uncooked rice cook in a casserole?
Yes, uncooked rice will cook because it will be in all the liquid from the casserole. This cook time assures your rice will be done with the right texture at the end.
Do I cook chicken before putting it in a casserole?
You could, but with this chicken and rice bake, it goes in raw. It will cook up beautifully with the liquids and seasoning.
Can you put uncooked chicken in a casserole?
Yes, especially with this cook time for an hour and 15 minutes. That’s plenty of time for the chicken to cook all the way through.
How Long to Bake Chicken and Rice Casserole
You’ll bake your chicken and rice casserole for an hour and 15 minutes at 325F.
What goes well with Chicken and Rice Casserole
You can’t go wrong with a fresh salad, sauteed green veggies, or a vegetable medley. Anything that contrasts with the richness will be a lovely match!
How to Store Chicken and Rice Casserole
Once it cools, you’ll need to cover your chicken and rice casserole and stash it in the fridge.
How Long Does Chicken and Rice Casserole Last?
You’ll have 3 to 4 days to polish off your leftovers of this dish. If that’s too much to ask, you can put it in the freezer to use as a quick meal prep.
Can You Freeze Chicken and Rice Casserole?
You bet you can! Just wrap it well and label it. You can keep it there for about 2 to 3 months.
How to Reheat Chicken and Rice Casserole?
Let it thaw in the fridge overnight, then preheat your oven to 350F and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
Watch How To Make Chicken and Rice Casserole (Video)
Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup long grain white rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups water
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 10.5 oz condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Add the chicken breasts to the baking pan and season with salt and pepper. Then, pour the rice over the chicken and evenly spread the onion soup mix over the top. Combine the mushroom soup with the 2 cups of water and pour over the chicken. Cover with foil and bake for an hour and 15 minutes or until rice is soft and cooked through. Serve immediately!
More chicken and/or rice casserole recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.