Everyone loves chicken noodle soup for a cozy, warming treat. In our house, it’s something that brings us all closer together. And of course, if you’re not feeling well, this will fix you right up in no time!
Best Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
For the best chicken noodle soup recipe, you need something that’s easy. It takes very simple, wholesome ingredients to turn out this soup in no time at all. Plus, this easy homemade chicken noodle soup is all made in just one pot!
Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
- Frozen chicken breast – no need to thaw them, just chuck them in!
- Chicken broth – this creates a flavorful base for your soup. Low sodium is ok to use as well.
- Carrots and celery – because you need a pop of color and more nutrition.
- Onions – adds more savory flavor.
- Fresh herbs – parsley and dill are best to add fresh for more complexity. Thyme can also be used.
- Lemon juice – a secret ingredient to give it a unique and light flavor.
- Bay leaves – perfect for that soothing aroma and taste.
Easy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
It couldn’t be easier to make this simple chicken noodle soup! It comes together so quickly and the smell is divine. You will never buy canned or pre-made chicken noodle soup ever again!
How Do You Make Chicken Noodle Soup from Scratch?
To make homemade chicken noodle soup from scratch, all you have to do is sauté up the veggies until they become tender. Then you’ll add the broth to the same pot. You’ll throw in frozen chicken breasts and cook them through. Then take them out, cut them up and add them back again with the egg noodles. Once they’re done, you can serve it up! It takes no time at all!
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Chicken Noodle Soup Every Time
- Saute the the veggies – You shouldn’t skip out on sauteing the vegetables first. This not only softens them up but adds the best flavor.
- Slow cooker friendly – While it takes little time to make this on your stove top, you can make it in your slow cooker too. Just be sure to sauté those veggies first, and don’t add the noodles in until shortly before serving so they don’t become mushy.
Can you use any noodles for chicken noodle soup?
You can use whichever noodles you wish to use for chicken soup. Egg noodles are a great choice though anything you have will work just fine, even gluten-free!
Do you cook chicken first before putting it in soup?
This recipe uses frozen chicken breast, the perfect recipe when you’ve completely spaced out and forgotten to thaw out something for dinner. If you have cooked chicken, like leftover rotisserie chicken for example, you can add that instead. Rotisserie chicken noodle soup is even faster!
Should I cook noodles before adding to soup?
Nope! All you have to do is make sure the chicken is cooked through first. Then, add the noodles and cook them as long as the package specifies. You can serve the soup when the noodles are ready.
How Long to Cook Chicken Noodle Soup
This chicken noodle soup takes less than an hour to make. Once the frozen chicken cooks through, it’s very speedy from there. You’ll want to cut it up and add it back to the soup to give it the best flavor.
What can I add to my chicken noodle soup for flavor?
Aromatics like bay leaves, parsley, and dill all give chicken noodle soup the flavor you’re seeking. You shouldn’t skip adding any of these herbs to your soup.
What to Serve with Chicken Noodle Soup
This chicken noodle soup recipe includes egg noodles, but that won’t be enough to make a meal of it. You can serve a nice salad with it, sandwiches, bruschetta, or even grilled cheese!
How to Store Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken noodle soup needs to go in the fridge. Use an airtight container or zipper bag and make sure to enjoy the soup within 3 to 4 days.
How long is rotisserie chicken good for in soup?
When making chicken noodle soup with rotisserie chicken, it should last about 3 to 4 days in the fridge. If you haven’t eaten it all by then, you’d better freeze it so you don’t let it go to waste.
Can You Freeze Chicken Noodle Soup?
You absolutely can freeze chicken noodle soup. Just make sure there’s room for it to expand in the container when you freeze it, or use a zippered freezer bag. It will last 6 months in your freezer.
How to Reheat Frozen Chicken Noodle Soup
If it’s frozen, let it thaw in the fridge overnight. You can then heat it on the stovetop until it boils.
Only the pure in heart can make good soup.
Ludwig Van Beethoven
Watch How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup (Video)
Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter (unsalted)
- 1 small white onion (diced)
- 2 carrots (peeled, sliced)
- 2 celery stalks (sliced)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 8 cups chicken broth (chicken stock)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (to taste)
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken breast (skinless, frozen)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 tbsp fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (squeezed)
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a large pot (or dutch oven). Add in the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and cook until tender.
- Whisk in the chicken stock, bay leaves and season to desired taste with salt and pepper. Add chicken, cover, and bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer. Keep the pot covered until the chicken is cooked through. This will take about 35 minutes. Once chicken is cooked, remove chicken and allow to cool. Once cooled, remove any bones and cut into small 1 inch pieces.
- Add chicken and pasta into soup and cook for about 7 minutes until the pasta is tender or has reached your desired consistency.
- Remove soup from heat and add in chopped parsley, dill and tablespoon of lemon juice. Season with a touch more salt and pepper to your personal taste and serve.
More chicken noodle soup recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.