Avocado toast is a simple pleasure that takes only 5 minutes to make. Despite being so easy, it is a tasty, nourishing, and wholesome way to fill up for breakfast, brunch, lunch or just a snack. My family loves this avocado toast recipe that’s so easy, the kids love to help with this family favorite!
Best Avocado Toast Recipe
This is the best avocado toast recipe because it keeps things simple. There’s nothing complicated about it. Why pay $10 or more at a restaurant or café to have avocado toast when you can make it at home for less and know what you’re putting into it?
Easy Avocado Toast Recipe
This is an easy recipe too, but avocado toast isn’t all that complicated to make. You’ll have them ready in just 5 minutes, making it the perfect meal for busy times or when you just don’t feel like a hassle.
Avocado Toast Ingredients
- Hass avocado – the star of the recipe!
- Bread – which will become toasted to your own personal level of perfection
- Eggs – soft boil, fry, or slice up hard boiled eggs to put on your avocado toast
- Lime juice – prevents browning
- Fresh cilantro – complements the avocado flavors
- Seasonings – salt and pepper to taste along with the option for red pepper flakes really jazz it up
How do you Make Avocado Toast from Scratch?
Making avocado toast with egg is as easy as toasting the bread, prepping eggs the way you want them (poached, scrambled, or fried are delicious), and mashing up avocados with some ingredients that season them. Cilantro, lime juice, and red pepper flakes bring out the naturally delightful taste of those avocados. Spread it on your toast and pile on the eggs and you have a filling meal.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Avocado Toast
- Lime is essential – Don’t skip the lime as it keeps the avocado from browning so it retains that bright, green hue.
- Toppings – You don’t have to add eggs, but they do round out the meal.
- Fresh herbs – If you don’t like cilantro, you can use other herbs to season your avocado. Just make sure they are fresh, not dried!
- Add some heat – For something spicier, add more red pepper flakes (though don’t do this on your children’s portions!).
- Ripe is key – Use ripe avocados that feel slightly resistant when you touch the outside, not too soft or too hard.
I think my spirit animal is avocado toast.
The Best Way to Cut an Avocado
You want to cut an avocado vertically. Gentle push your knife in and go around. You should be able to pop the pit right out of there. Then scoop out the flesh of the avocado to mash it.
Is avocado toast healthy?
Yes, it is one of the healthiest quick meals you can eat. Depending on the bread you use, you can make it even healthier.
What does avocado toast taste like?
Avocado toast will taste bland if you don’t use the right ingredients. Choose bread that is healthful and flavorful and fresh avocados. How you season it will bring out the best in this meal. Even with my simple seasonings, you’ll get a crunchy, creamy texture with balanced flavor and a hint of red pepper to embolden it.
What spices go well with avocado toast?
The sky is the limit with spices on your avocado toast! This recipe uses salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, but you can add in anything that you enjoy such as garlic, Cajun spice, or even Old Bay seasoning.
Best Seasonings to use on Avocado Toast
In this avocado and egg toast recipe, I use salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to go with the lime juice and cilantro. But you can add in others to your liking. Cumin and garlic would also work wonderfully as avocado toast toppings. If you hate cilantro, make sure you use another fresh herb in its place. That freshness is what really makes for the best avocado toast seasoning.
What do you put on top of avocado toast?
Eggs are a perfect match to put on your avocado toast, though you can feel free to experiment. Bacon, salsa, tomatoes and basil, goat cheese crumbles, even a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and flaky sea salt will all taste delightful on avocado toast.
What to Serve with Avocado Toast (Side Dishes)
Soups are always a great choice with avocado toast. Chicken tortilla or black bean soup would be a superb match. You can also do a salad of mixed greens or even chips and salsa to go with your simple avocado toast with egg.
What drink goes well with avocado toast?
For nonalcoholic beverages, green tea or homemade lemonade are a great pairing for avocado toast. You can also have Sauvignon Blanc for something fancier or margaritas or a Bloody Mary, with or without alcohol.
How to Store Avocado Toast
By the nature of toast, it’s a bit hard to keep avocado toast in the fridge. Toast gets very soggy in there, so you will want to store the avocado mash separately in an airtight container. Because of the lime juice, it should keep from browning but you can add a few drops of fresh lemon juice to help too. If prepping to take for lunch, toast your bread and pack it separately without refrigerating. Bring the avocado mash and spread it on when it’s time to eat.
How Long Will Avocado Toast Last?
Your avocado mash for avocado toast will last in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. You can toast up as much toast as needed until you use it all up.
Is avocado toast good for weight loss?
Avocado toast can be good for weight loss since it’s only 45 calories per ounce. That’s much less than butter and jelly, but if you’re looking to lose weight, you should keep serving sizes in mind to make sure you don’t eat more calories than you bargained for.
Is avocado toast a millennial thing?
Not at all! Avocado toast is for anyone that loves avocados and wants a delicious and nutritious meal.
Watch How To Make Avocado Toast (Video)
Perfect 5 min Avocado Toast Recipe
- 1 Hass avocado (peeled and pit removed)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes ((optional))
- 1/2 salt (to taste)
- 1/2 pepper (to taste)
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 eggs (prepared to taste)
- First toast two slices of bread in a toaster for about 2 minutes until golden brown and evenly crispy.
- In a small bowl, carefully add in the avocado, cilantro, lime, salt and pepper and mash the avocado with a fork to combine well. Evenly spread half of the mashed avocado mixture on each slice of the toasted bread. Top with egg cooked to your preference if desired and a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro and red pepper flakes.
More avocado toast recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.