Why wait for the holidays to roll around when you can make this delicious peach pie recipe anytime? It’s easy to do and the kids love helping. Make it with your family on the weekend and you’ll have a refreshing fruity dessert that you’ll all love to devour!
Best Peach Pie Recipe
The best peach pie recipe is one made from scratch. I’ll show you how to take some very simple ingredients and make a pie that is wholesome for your family to enjoy.
Peach Pie Ingredients
- Sugars – You’ll need a half-cup each of brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Peaches – If you have fresh peaches, use them. There is nothing like a fresh peach pie recipe. They need to be sliced and peeled. You can also use canned peaches for a canned peach pie recipe though you’ll need to rinse them.
- Cornstarch – Makes the filling nice and thick.
- Peach pie seasonings – You’ll need a little salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Butter – It’s what makes pie perfect!
- Pie crust – You can use my pie crust recipe or get a double-crust pie crust from the store.
- Vanilla ice cream – To me, it’s essential for the topping. You can also use whipped cream if you prefer, or use both!
I have fillings for you.
The Peach Pie
Easy Peach Pie Recipe
While it seems like it takes a while, most of that is waiting time. These simple ingredients come together to make one of the best peach pies you’ve ever tasted!
How do you Make a Peach Pie from Scratch?
You’ll add the sugars in a large bowl along with the peaches and toss to coat. Cover it and let it sit for an hour. You’ll line your pie plate with the first sheet of your pie dough and put it in the fridge. After an hour, drain your peaches and reserve the juice. In a small saucepan, add cornstarch and seasonings. Slowly stir in that reserved juice and boil it. Cook until it thickens, then remove from heat and add lemon juice and butter. Fold peaches in and pour it all into your crust. Top with the second sheet of pie crust cut into strips and make a lattice pattern. You can brush with egg wash it you like. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, then take the foil off and bake 15 to 20 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Peach Pie Every Time
- Take the time to let the peaches sit in sugar. This draws out the juices which you’ll use to make that thicker sauce. It keeps the pie from getting watery too.
- Use fresh or canned. If you can find fresh and ripe peaches, spend the extra time prepping those for your peach pie filling recipe. If not, use the canned ones. Just make sure you rinse them first.
- You don’t have to make a lattice. It does look pretty when you’re making the perfect peach pie recipe, but if you want to put the whole second crust on top, just poke holes so the pie vents.
How do you make peach pie filling from scratch?
Follow this recipe and you’ll see how you take the cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt along with the reserved juice from the peaches. You’ll add lemon juice and butter to it too.
Do you have to peel peaches for pie?
Yes, you need to peel and slice fresh peaches for pie. This gives you the perfect texture and consistency.
Can I use canned peaches instead of fresh?
Yes, you can use canned peaches. You will need to rinse them off before using them.
Can you use frozen peaches in place of fresh?
Yes, you can use frozen peaches. Just add in time for thawing them out first.
Do you have to thaw frozen peaches before baking?
Yes, you should thaw them first. Otherwise they will make the pie watery and soggy.
How do you thicken peach pie filling?
Use cornstarch! This recipe shows you how to make the filling on your stovetop with the cornstarch to make a nice, thick filling.
How to Cook Peach Pie
Peach pie starts on the stovetop for the filling. Then it is added into the crust and baked.
How Long to Bake Peach Pie
At 400F, peach pie needs to bake for 40 minutes while covered in foil and then an additional 15 or 20 minutes without the foil to brown on top.
Why is my peach pie runny?
If it’s runny, you didn’t bake it long enough. Following this recipe will ensure you get it just right!
How do you make a peach pie less runny?
Make sure you use the cornstarch to create the mixture on the stove top. Also, letting the peaches sit in sugar for an hour to create that water to make the mixture helps keep the pie from being runny.
What goes well with Peach Pie?
Vanilla ice cream! That’s my personal favorite though you can also use whipped cream, or even both of those things to serve with your peach pie. For adults, some good coffee will also be enjoyable.
How to Store Peach Pie
You can cover it loosely on and store on your counter though I always feel better putting it in the fridge.
How Long Does Peach Pie Last?
On the counter, it will be good for up to 2 days while in the fridge, you can enjoy it for 3 to 4 days. After that, freeze it.
Can You Freeze Peach Pie?
Peach pie is perfect for freezing! Make sure you wrap it in foil and then plastic and freeze. It will be good for up to 4 months.
How to Reheat Peach Pie?
Once thawed in your fridge, you can heat it at 250F for about 10 minutes.
Watch How To Make Peach Pie (Video)
Homemade Peach Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 cups sliced/peeled or canned peaches (rinsed)
- 3 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter
- Pie crust for a double-crust pie
- Vanilla ice cream (topping)
- In a large bowl, combine the granulated sugar and the brown sugar thoroughly. Add in the peaches and toss until they are fully coated in the sugar mixture. Cover the bowl and set aside for an hour. Line your pie plate with the first sheet of pie dough and refrigerate. Preheat your oven to 400F.
- After the hour has passed, drain the peaches, making sure to reserve the juice. Then, in a small saucepan, add the cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt, slowly stirring in the reserved juice and bring to a boil. Continue to cook until the mixture has thickened, then remove from heat ad add in the lemon juice and the butter. Fold in the peaches and pour into the crust. Take the second sheet of pie dough and cut into wide strips. Arrange the strips in a lattice pattern across the pie. Trim and seal the strips to the bottom crust and brush with an optional egg wash. Cover the pie with aluminum foil and bake for about 40 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Cool the pie before slicing, then serve with vanilla ice cream.
More peach pie recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.