There is nothing more wholesome than a homemade apple pie cooling on your windowsill. Take a page from Grandma’s book and make this American classic apple pie recipe today!
Best Apple Pie Recipe
I can’t make this apple pie without my kids coming up to me every 5 minutes asking me when it’s ready. It seriously smells so wonderful you’ll be drooling long before you serve up slices.
Easy Apple Pie Recipe
This apple pie recipe is so easy too. And it will come out perfectly every single time you make it, perfect for holidays or taking to potlucks. Or simply because you have so many apples you don’t know what to do! That’s the best excuse I’ve ever had to make a pie!
Apple Pie Ingredients
- Apples – The star ingredient!
- Deep dish pie crust – Find it in the frozen section, ready to go!
- Cinnamon and nutmeg – These essential spices bring out the best in those apples!
- Lemon – Lemon juice and the zest keep the apples from going brown and bring out the fresh fruitiness of them.
How to Make Apple Pie
I know the ingredient list looks a little long, but don’t let that intimidate you. Most of it involves pantry staples. It takes only 30 minutes to prep and that’s largely because of slicing, peeling, and coring those apples. You’ll use a frozen deep dish pie crust, make the filling, and bake it. If you wan to go the extra mile you can make your own cold water pie crust from scratch with pie dough but it will take significantly more time. This one is quick, easy, and delicious!
Once you make this classic apple pie with buttery pie crust, I assure you that you will never buy another ready-made pie. And you’ll never attempt to make one with that canned apple garbage they sell on the shelves. It tastes so much better fresh, and you’ll have this one ready almost as fast as you can say “apple pie!”
Good apple pies are a considerable part of our domestic happiness.
Expert Secrets for the Best Apple Pie!
- Mix your apples – Using 2 different kinds of apples (in this case honey crisp and granny smith) creates the best flavors of tart and sweet.
- Don’t let your pie crust get warm – You should thaw it out in your fridge while you get the filling ready.
- Keep the apple slices thin – This allows them to cook up evenly so you don’t have random chunks of crunchy apples in your pie.
Which Apples are Best for Apple Pie?
If you have the option, I’d choose granny smith and honey crisp apples to give you sweet, tart, and firm texture and taste. If that’s not possible, golden delicious will also work. Idared is a nice tart variety while northern spy is a sweet choice. Any fresh apple is best as long as you mix sweet and tart together!
How to Make Apple Pie Filling
Some recipes call for cooking the filling, but that’s not necessary. This apple pie recipe keeps things simple yet yields fully delicious results. I’ve had people beg me for the recipe at holiday potlucks.
You’ll take your sliced apples (making sure they’re not too thick or too thin), add them with sugar, salt, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon (juice and zest), plus vanilla extract. Mix it up and it’s ready! See how easy that is?!?
How do you thicken apple pie filling?
Because this filling isn’t cooked before going into the shell, you won’t have to worry. Apples aren’t like other fruits and berries that unleash extra liquid. You won’t need to use a thickener to get the right texture or consistency.
What is the difference between regular and Dutch apple pie?
The difference is in the topping. Regular apple pie has a pie crust that is usually sprinkled with sugar to add an extra crispness and sweetness. Dutch apple pie uses a streusel topping made from flour, butter, and sugar.
Why are my apples hard in my apple pie?
If your apple aren’t yet ripe, they can result in a hard filling. So too can cutting the slices too thick. Make sure you’re using ripe apples and cutting them to a good size.
How Long to Bake Apple Pie
You can pre-bake the crust briefly to keep the bottom from getting soggy. Then make sure your oven is ready at 375F to cook for 50 to 60 minutes. Thanks to brushing the top with egg, you will have a golden buttery crust that flakes perfectly with your fork when it’s ready to eat. Let it cool just a bit before serving so it won’t be runny.
Best Toppings to Serve with Apple Pie
I always recommend vanilla ice cream to serve with apple pie. It is the best way to top it off! But you can use whipped cream if you prefer. Or use both! My kids also like warm caramel topping on top of the ice cream and then with the whipped cream added to that. It’s delightful still warm or even completely cooled.
How to Store Apple Pie
Apple pie can stay on your counter at room temperature covered with plastic wrap or go in the fridge. You should be sure to eat it all up before 2 days have gone by. We never have this problem in our house! It always disappears fast!
Can you Freeze Apple Pie?
Absolutely! You should freeze it before you bake it if you can, but you can also freeze a completely baked apple pie. Apple pie will be safe in the freezer up to 6 months.
How to Reheat Apple Pie
Reheating apple pie is easy. Simply preheat your oven to 350F, put the pie on a baking sheet, and cover loosely with aluminum foil. It should take about 15 to 20 minutes to warm it through.
Classic Apple Pie Recipe
- 1 Frozen pie dish (deep dish)
- 1 Pie crust for topping
- 1 1/4 lbs honey crisp apples cored, sliced, peeled
- 1 1/4 lbs granny smith apples cored, sliced, peeled
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tub vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375F. Take frozen pie crusts from the freezer and allow to thaw in the fridge.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Mix until all apple slices are coated in the mixture.
- Once pie crust is thawed, use a fork to poke holes in the bottom of the crust. Fill the crust with the apple filling. Place pie crust on top and press the fork down along the edge of the bottom crust to seal. Brush the pie with the egg wash and sprinkle with the tablespoon of sugar. Cut four slits into the top of the pie to create a vent.
- Bake the pie for 50-60 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Allow to cool before slicing, top with vanilla ice cream and serve.
More dessert and apple pie recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.