If you’re looking for the best way to top your favorite cakes, cookies, brownies, and more, look no further than this vanilla buttercream frosting recipe! Why grab that store-bought goo when you can whip this stuff up fresh in your own kitchen? And if you have kids, they’ll want to do anything to help, just like mine!
Best Buttercream Frosting Recipe
With just 5 simple and wholesome ingredients, you’ll be on your way to making the best delicious treats topped with unbeatable buttercream frosting. I used to buy that store-bought stuff until I looked more closely at the labels. The stuff that’s in there will seriously raise your eyebrows. Serve your family and friends delicious desserts by making cake icing yourself!
Easy Buttercream Frosting Recipe
The ingredients in this easy frosting recipe are simple to find anywhere and you may already have them on-hand in your kitchen. In just 20 minutes, you’ll have the best buttercream recipe you can find. Once you make this vanilla icing recipe, you’ll be a pro and can make it so many ways with different flavors too. You’ll want to put this cake frosting recipe on all your favorite desserts!
Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- Unsalted butter – Let this stuff soften up enough so it’s easier to work with.
- Powdered sugar – Turns this cupcake frosting recipe sweet and delicious. It is the key ingredient in any powdered sugar frosting recipe that adds sweetness while maintaining the smooth texture.
- Vanilla extract – Choose the clear variety which will add another layer of flavor to your vanilla frosting recipe.
- Heavy cream – This would be the “Cream” part in your “Buttercream.”
- Pinch of salt – All these other ingredients would be far too sweet without just a hint of salt to balance the cake frosting out.
How do you Make Buttercream Frosting from Scratch
Really, it’s your mixer doing all the work. Put your softened butter into a large mixing bowl and beat on medium-high for 7 to 8 minutes. Once light, reduce the speed to low, then slowly add in the salt and powdered sugar. Beat continuously so the sugar gets completely incorporated. Then add the heavy cream and vanilla on low until it’s all mixed in. After that, turn it up to medium-high for another 5 to 6 minutes. You can adjust the consistency with more heavy cream until your homemade frosting reaches your desired consistency. Put your vanilla frosting in a piping bag and frost to your heart’s content!
Buttercream is my favorite accessory.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Buttercream Frosting Every Time
- Use the whisk attachment on your mixer. This will make your cake frosting airier.
- Let the butter soften. Ideally, put it out 3 hours before you intend to make the buttercream frosting for cake.
- Make it fluffy first. Only once the butter is fluffy can you begin adding that sugar.
- Try sifting the sugar. This will enhance that airy texture of your frosting.
What are the three types of buttercream?
While there are a number of buttercream frostings, the three most popular are American buttercream, Italian meringue buttercream, and Swiss meringue buttercream.
What is the best buttercream?
American buttercream is one of the best choices because it’s rich and sweet and everyone absolutely adores it!
Which buttercream is best for cakes?
Swiss meringue buttercream is often regarded as the best buttercream for cakes because it spreads smooth and is well-balanced.
Which buttercream is best for cupcakes?
American buttercream tends to be favored for cupcakes because they don’t need to have as smooth a texture as a whole cake.
What is the smoothest buttercream?
Swiss meringue is the smoothest type of buttercream out there. It’s great for cakes because it leaves a professional finish.
Which buttercream is best for piping?
American buttercream as you’ll find in this recipe here is the best for piping. You’re going to want to pipe it onto all your desserts!
What kind of buttercream do professionals use?
Among the pros, the Swiss meringue buttercream is typically chosen because of its smooth texture. It has more of a buttery taste and is much less sweet.
How to Make Buttercream Frosting?
This buttercream icing recipe should be made with either a stand mixer or a hand-held mixer. It takes time to come together in this way so imagine trying to do all that by hand! Ouch!
How to make frosting without powdered sugar?
You can use granulated sugar if you’re in a pinch, though use a little less than what the recipe calls for. The texture will be a bit different though. You can also use a food processor to make your own powdered sugar from that granulated sugar.
How do you make buttercream icing for a cake?
If you want to make buttercream icing for a cake, all you need to do is follow this recipe. It’s super simple because of the easy ingredients and your mixer is really the one that does all the work.
What is the difference between icing and frosting?
Icing tends to be thinner and can be drizzled or spread onto your treats. Frosting is thicker and richer and is not shiny like icing.
What is the difference between buttercream and frosting?
Buttercream is a frosting that is made with a base of butter and heavy cream, hence the name. It is one of the most popular types of frosting there is, and there are a number of buttercream varieties to enjoy.
What is the difference between buttercream frosting and buttercream icing?
The difference is in the consistency. Buttercream frosting is thick and rich while the icing has a consistency that is more liquid-like in nature.
How do you make cream icing?
Heavy cream, vanilla extract, and confectioner’s sugar are all it takes to make cream icing.
What kind of icing is best for decorating cakes?
Royal icing is perhaps the best for cake decorating because it’s so easy with its consistency. You’ll have better control as you decorate.
What is the best type of icing for cupcakes?
Buttercream is the best thing to put on your cupcakes. Nothing comes close to that light, airy, and sweet flavor to finish them off!
How to Store Buttercream Frosting?
You’ll have to store your buttercream frosting in the fridge. Put it in an airtight container and that will help it keep well.
How Long Does Buttercream Frosting Last?
In your fridge, you can keep that buttercream frosting for up to 2 weeks. Just know that you should bring it to room temperature and re-whip it before you use it.
Can You Freeze Buttercream Frosting?
Yes, and that’s a great idea if you have lots of baking to do for birthday parties and other things. It will last a few weeks in there so if you have a couple weeks between parties, this is a great way to put your bounty of frosting to good use.
How to Reheat Buttercream Frosting?
All you need to do is let it get to room temperature. After that, re-whip it to bring it back to life and start frosting whatever you like!
Watch How To Make Buttercream Frosting (Video)
Classic Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 3 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp clear vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter on medium-high speed for about 7-8 minutes are until light. Reduce the speed of the beater to low, and slowly add in the salt and powdered sugar, continuously beating so that sugar is fully incorporated. Add in the heavy cream and vanilla on low speed until fully incorporated. Once completely mixed, turn the mixer back up to medium-high speed beat for an additional 5-6 minutes. Adjust the consistency with added heavy cream until the the desired consistency has been reached. Add to piping bag and pipe as desired.
More frosting recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.