Sweet and refreshing, there is nothing like making a homemade Horchata recipe to serve at your next fiesta. It’s cool and creamy, and everyone wants to know how to make it. My husband and kids will practically fight over the last drop of it. Even when I make a ton, it disappears faster than tacos. Now THAT’S fast!
Best Horchata Recipe
Some very simple ingredients come together to make this delicious, sweet, and creamy chilled Mexican Horchata drink. It only takes a few minutes to get it together and then have it chill in the fridge to enjoy with friends and family.
- White rice – Keep it uncooked as it’s the star of our drink.
- Sliced almonds – For that sweet almond taste.
- Vanilla extract – A perfect fit for sweetening this beverage.
- Cinnamon sticks – Adds that nicely sweet spice.
- Water – Turns it into that creamy rice milk you’re going to fall in love with.
- Evaporated milk and condensed milk – You’ll need a can of each for that milky flavor and creaminess.
- Sugar – For sweetness of course.
- Ground cinnamon – Makes the perfect garnish in this Horchata drink!
Easy Horchata Recipe
As mentioned, horchata is so easy to make that it only takes 10 minutes to put it together. Then it chills and you blend it, so really, with just a few minutes of actual hands-on time, you’ve got a refreshing and delightful beverage everyone will love.
When life gives you soggy rice, just make horchata.
How do you Make Horchata from Scratch?
Before you start, you’ll want to rinse and drain your rice. Then take that rinsed rice with the cinnamon sticks and put it all into a large pitcher with 4 cups of the water. Cover it and refrigerate it overnight. The next day, blend the rice to create a smooth puree then use a sieve to strain so it’s not grainy. Add the milks, vanilla extract, and sugar to taste. Then chill this heavenly creation completely. When ready, stir well and serve it over ice with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon on top.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Horchata Drink Every Time
- Let your blender help. This will get the texture perfect for your Mexican rice drink.
- Whole cinnamon sticks give it the best flavor. It’s fine to garnish with ground cinnamon, but when soaking the mixture overnight, it needs to be the cinnamon sticks.
- The longer you soak it, the creamier it will be. And trust me, that’s just what you want here!
- Serve over ice. Even though it will be chilled, horchata Mexican drink tastes the best over lots of ice.
What is horchata?
It’s a Mexican drink that is made by soaking white rice in water with cinnamon sticks and then adding granulated sugar for a sweet, deliciously creamy and nonalcoholic drink.
What is horchata called in Mexico?
In Mexico, horchata is simply called “horchata.”
What is horchata made of?
Horchata is made from rice, water, evaporated milk, condensed milk, cinnamon sticks, vanilla extract, and sugar.
Is horchata and arroz con leche the same thing?
No, it’s not the same thing. Arroz con leche is made with the leftover rice that you used in making horchata. So if you don’t want to throw the rice, you can use it in this way!
What is Mexican horchata made of?
Mexican horchata is made with rice soaked in water and cinnamon sticks, then blended to a creamy texture with evaporated milk, condensed milk, vanilla extract, and sugar.
How to make Homemade Horchata
You don’t have to turn on an oven or stove to make horchata. But you do have to tune into your patience since you’ll have to wait for the rice and cinnamon sticks to soak into the water.
Is horchata good or bad for your health?
Believe it or not, horchata is good for you. It has plenty of vitamins and minerals that your body needs, and it tastes absolutely amazing!
What are the health benefits of drinking horchata?
Horchata has plenty of fiber to keep you satiated. Plus, it gives you so many vitamins and minerals that help boost your overall health.
What goes well with Horchata?
Anything spicy! So your favorite Mexican dishes that bring all the heat – tacos, burritos, fajitas, enchiladas, even chips and hot salsa – they are perfect for pairing with horchata! Also, adults can feel free to add in a shot of rum to make it into a cocktail though the horchata itself is nonalcoholic and can be enjoyed by everyone.
How to Store Horchata
Horchata needs to be stored in the fridge. It has to be served chilled anyway, so put it in a proper pitcher and keep it there.
How Long Does Horchata Last?
You can make your horchata in advance, but don’t do so more than 3 days ahead. It will keep in the fridge up to 5 days.
Can You Freeze Horchata?
Yes, horchata can freeze horchata. You’ll want to use it within a month though for the best flavor.
How to Thaw Horchata?
Let it thaw in your fridge or keep an eye on it on the counter so it doesn’t go warm. Then serve it as you did before!
Watch How To Make Horchata (Video)
Homemade Horchata Recipe
- 1 cup white rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cups water (divided)
- 1 12oz can evaporated milk
- 1 12oz can condensed milk
- sugar (to taste)
- ground cinnamon (for garnish)
- Rinse and drain the rice before beginning. Take the rinsed rice and cinnamon sticks and place into a large pitcher with 4 cups of water. Cover the pitcher and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, blend the rice until a smooth puree is formed. Sieve the puree into a pitcher. Add in the evaporated and condensed milk, vanilla extract, and sugar to taste. Chill completely. Stir and serve over ice.
More horchata recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.