Nutrition for Kids: Games, Activities & Printable Lesson Plans
Nutrition is extremely important to our overall health. This is especially imperative when it comes to kids, since they are in the early stages of physical development, and they need to have healthy and strong bodies. Getting the right nutrition each and every day will help to ensure that our children are healthy, well, and happy. Every child should have a diet that includes protein (like meatloaf), fiber, calcium and other essential nutrients. Parents and teachers can help kids learn about proper nutrition and health through education. The following websites will help ensure that kids learn about getting the right nutrition they need to stay healthy.
Online Activities & Games
- The Amazing Food Detective – An interactive game for kids of all ages that educates on the importance of nutrition and how it affects the body.
- Fueling My Healthy Life – This teacher multimedia resource portal has sample food lesson plans, interactive games and digital badges for students to earn!
- The Food Museum – A fun a website that has videos, exhibits, and interactive games relating to food.
- Blast Off Game – Students needs to fuel their rocket man with the proper food and physical activity for them to reach space!
- Step To It – Kids will use a pedometer, record their steps and learn how making small changes in physical activity can lead to big health changes.
- Videos & Songs – Choose My Plate – Watch these educational videos and learn these healthy habit songs for a better understanding of nutrition.
- Nutrition Websites For Kids and Teens – A nice selection of online nutrition games for kids and teens of all ages.
- Healthy Habits Game – PBS Kids had put together a collection of online games related to health and nutrition. From proper cooking techniques and safety to how to wash hands, there’s a video here for every health and nutrition topic!
- The Interactive Playground – The National Agricultural Library has put together a collection of interactive websites relating to nutrition. From BMI calculators to food safety quizzes, there’s something on here for everyone!
- 10 Fun Nutrition Games for Kids – A collection of fun ideas for teaching kids about food and nutrition.
- Activities to Promote Healthy Nutrition and Physical Activity Habits Among Children – A collection of activities compiled by nutrition specialists and doctors.
Printable Activities and Lesson Plans
- Team Nutrition, Digital Nutrition Resources for Kids – From games, to videos to printables to short reading materials, this website from the USDA has nutritional information for educators, parents and kids.
- Food Groups Word Search – A printable word search puzzle for K-4 kids relating to food groups and nutrition.
- Children’s Activities: Healthy Eating – From Coloring sheets and flashcards to curriculum materials and recipes, this website has a ton of printable activities for parents and teachers alike.
- Activity Sheets – Choose My Plate – These printable activity sheets include puzzles, word scrambles, recipes and more.
- Printable Materials and Handouts – free printable worksheets and hand outs that are perfect for teachers and nutrition related events.
- NUTRITION WORKSHEETS (PDF) – 6 printable lessons that teach kids all about healthy eating habits.
- Printable Cooking Recipes – Healthy recipes for both kids and adults!
- Printable Food and Nutrition Teaching Worksheets – Covering everything from food vocabulary quizzes to reading comprehension worksheets on nutrition, these printables are perfect for educators!
WebQuests and Miscellaneous Health and Nutrition Websites
- Fast Food Choices – This webquest is designed for middle to high school kids, and discusses making smarter fast food choices.
- Nutrition webquest – A collection of health related worksheets for freshman aged school children.
- Health Webquests – Nutrition Webquest – A short collection of quizzes and tasks all related to nutrition and health.
- Teachers Pay Teachers – Health Wequests – While these are all paid for webquests, there is a vast selection of health and nutrition webquests available to download for distance learning!
- Nutrition Pathfinder (PDF) – Explore a these websites and lessons for nutrition and physical activity learning.
- Good Foods for Good Health – This webquest teaches kids about what foods are healthy, the best way to buy healthy food and how to plan healthy meals.
- The History of USDA Food Guidelines and The Food Pyramid – Learn about the history of the food pyramid and where scientists and doctors got their information from.
- Choose My Plate – Choose your food group and explore the nutritional information for each food!
- Healthy Eating Calculator – The Children’s Nutrition Research Center from Baylor College of Medicine has put together a healthy eating calculator for your child’s nutrition.