Nothing beats taco night! But why wait for Tuesday? Make this shrimp taco recipe and your whole family will be happy. Fresh ingredients come together for juicy shrimp and a zesty lime coleslaw topping that everyone will gobble up. Give your family’s tastebuds a trip to the seaside taco stand with this recipe!
Best Shrimp Taco Recipe
This is the best shrimp taco recipe because you’ve got all fresh ingredients and bold, tasty flavors. My kids love filling up their own tacos and I love watching them enjoy every last bite. You’ll feel good about giving your family this healthy dinner.
Shrimp Taco Ingredients
- Shrimp – Use the large ones and make sure they’re peeled and deveined.
- Tortillas – Use flour or corn, preferably corn as that’s more authentic.
- Shrimp Taco seasoning – To give that shrimp proper flavor. If you like spicy shrimp tacos, I recommend adding in some chipotle powder seasoning for a kick.
- Zesty lime coleslaw sauce – Shrimp tacos with slaw are the perfect pairing. You’ll make this with a bag of coleslaw mix, plain Greek yogurt, lime juice, jalapenos, green onions, minced garlic, cumin, and salt and pepper. This combo makes the perfect shrimp taco sauce!
Live every day like its taco Tuesday.
Easy Shrimp Taco Recipe
Ready to serve up some easy shrimp tacos? With just 10 minutes of prep time and 10 minutes of cook time, you can have this fiesta-filled dinner any night of the week. It’s easy, delicious, and healthy, perfect for busy weeknights or fun-filled weekends.
How do you Make Shrimp Tacos from Scratch
These simple shrimp tacos with cabbage slaw are quick and delicious! You’ll make the lime slaw first by putting the ingredients for it in your food processor and combine. Then you’ll but the shrimp in a mixing bowl and coat with taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. In a large pan, you’ll cook the shrimp in avocado oil for a few minutes per side. Then fill up the tortillas with the slaw and shrimp, plus any other toppings you’d like.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Mexican Shrimp Tacos Every Time
- Buy your shrimp peeled and deveined. This saves time, though not necessarily money.
- You can use frozen shrimp. However, if you really want the freshest flavors, get your shrimp fresh.
- Try a different slaw blend. You can also use a superfood slaw blend with Brussels sprouts and kale if you prefer something different than the traditional cabbage slaw for tacos.
- Get the toppings you want. Avocados, red onions, cilantro, and lime wedges are some great ideas!
How to Cook Shrimp Tacos
Healthy shrimp tacos cook up on your stove top in just a few minutes. The shrimp taco slaw is made in your food processor.
What kind of shrimp is best to use for shrimp tacos?
Large shrimp work best for shrimp tacos. It’s also a good idea to buy them already peeled and deveined so you don’t have extra work.
What is Baja sauce made of?
Want Baja sauce with your shrimp tacos? Combine sour cream, mayo, cilantro, lime juice, ancho chile pepper, and seafood seasoning and you’ve got it!
Are corn or flour tortillas best for shrimp tacos?
You can use either type of tortilla though corn tortillas are the best for shrimp tacos. They are gluten-free so anyone can eat them, plus they are more authentic than flour tortillas.
How Long to Cook Shrimp for Tacos
It only takes a few minutes per side on the shrimp so between 8 to 10 minutes when the shrimp are just pink all over.
What goes well with Shrimp Tacos
We love black beans and rice, chips and salsa, fried plantains, and Mexican corn salad to go with our shrimp tacos. Guacamole never hurts either!
How to Store Shrimp Tacos
If you have any leftovers at all, you should pack them up in an airtight container and put in your fridge. Keep the shrimp separate from the slaw!
How Long Do Shrimp Tacos Last?
The sooner you eat them, the better. I wouldn’t leave shrimp taco leftovers in my fridge beyond 3 days.
Can You Freeze Shrimp Tacos?
You can freeze the shrimp portion but I don’t recommend freezing the slaw. Seal it in an airtight bag and use it within 2 months.
How to Reheat Shrimp Tacos?
Wrap the shrimp in foil and heat at 350F in your oven for 5 to 7 minutes. This should warm them up just enough. You can also toss them in a pan on the stove and warm through.
Shrimp Taco Recipe
Zesty Lime coleslaw
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 jalapeños
- 2 green onions
- 2 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 lb large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 10 flour or corn tortillas
- First, prep the lime slaw. In a food processor, combine all of the slaw ingredients until it reaches a smooth and creamy texture. Combine the mixtures with the slaw until it is thoroughly coated.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl, coat the shrimp with the taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. Heat the avocado oil in a large pan and cook the shrimp 3-4 minutes on each side. Fill each tortilla with the slaw, shrimp, avocado, and any other desired toppings (cilantro, onion, avocado, jalapeño, lime wedges).
More shrimp taco recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.