Why wait until St. Patrick’s Day to enjoy a slow cooker corned beef dinner with your family? Melt-in-your-mouth corned beef with cabbage, carrots, and potatoes is a dinner you can pull off any night. Your crock pot does all the work so this homemade corned beef and cabbage recipe is super easy. Your family doesn’t have to know how easy it is and believe me, when mine sing praises, I relish the moment.
Best Corned Beef Recipe
Using a few simple and wholesome ingredients, you’re about to make the best crockpot corned beef and cabbage recipe. Consider it practice for St. Patrick’s Day or simply find your way to a satisfying meal any day!
Crock Pot Corned Beef Ingredients
- Corned beef brisket – Look for the ones that come with the seasoning packet. They’re more plentiful in March but you will find them year-round.
- Garlic cloves – Gotta have that garlic!
- Bay leaves – These enhance the corned beef seasonings provided.
- Chicken stock – Adds more flavor than water for cooking the meat.
- Potatoes – You’ll need both russet and golden to make this recipe amazing.
- Carrots – Adds color and nutrition.
- Cabbage – You can’t have corned beef without cabbage!
Easy Corned Beef Recipe in a Crock Pot (Slow Cooker)
This is such an easy corned beef and cabbage recipe which has less than 10 ingredients. While it will cook for 10 hours, you’ll only spend 15 minutes prepping when you make corned beef in a crock pot. That’s a win in my book!
If you’re lucky enough to be Irish, then your lucky enough.
How do you Make Corned Beef and Cabbage from Scratch?
You’ll get your slow cooker ready with chopped onions on the bottom. Then add the corned beef and seasoning packet. Pour the chicken stock in until it just about covers the corned beef. Next, the garlic and bay leaves. You’ll set it for low at 8 to 10 hours but after 3 hours, you’ll add the carrots and potatoes. Two hours before you serve it, you’ll add the cabbage. This keeps the veggies at the best textures so your corned beef and cabbage doesn’t feel mushy.
Expert Tips and Tricks for Homemade Corned Beef in a Slow Cooker
- Add the veggies into your crock pot in intervals. Carrots, potatoes, and cabbage come out mushy when you put them all in the slow cooker at the beginning. If you follow this corned beef crock pot recipe, you’ll find everything has a perfect texture this way.
- Slice the meat against the grain. This keeps it juicy and tender in every bite.
- Reserve the jus. The jus is the best part! It keeps everything moist and delicious!
What is the best cut of meat for corned beef?
If you buy the corned beef brisket with the seasoning packet, you’ve got the right stuff. If you go to a butcher, you can ask for the flat cut for corned beef. The whole brisket can also be used though.
Is corned beef and beef brisket the same thing?
Beef brisket is like a roasted beef. But corned beef is brined first which is why it has a different color than a regular beef brisket.
Do you rinse corned beef before cooking?
If you want to reduce your sodium content, be sure to rinse your corned beef. It usually has excess salt on the surface.
Should you soak corned beef before cooking?
You should either soak it or rinse it. This will remove the excess salt on the meat.
How long do you soak corned beef before cooking?
You can soak it or rinse it. I prefer the simpler method of rinsing, but if you’re going to soak, do so for about 2 hours to get that excess salt out of every nook and cranny.
Do you use the brine when cooking corned beef?
Yes! Dump it on in when you’re putting it into your slow cooker!
Can you brine corned beef too long?
Some recipes call for brining the corned beef. This one does not. But if you do brine corned beef, it shouldn’t be for longer than 10 days.
How to Cook Corned Beef
Corned beef is the best when cooked in your slow cooker. It is a tougher cut of meat so the slow and low heat of the crock pot render it to a fork-tender texture.
Is it better to boil or bake corned beef?
One isn’t better than the other. The secret to the best corned beef is taking your time, cooking it over low heat for a longer time will ensure it comes out tender.
Can you bake corned beef?
You can also bake your corned beef though I love using the slow cooker. It doesn’t heat up the house like the oven does. To bake corned beef, you’ll need to wrap it well after you use the corned beef seasoning and then bake at 350F for an hour per pound of corned beef.
What do you put in the water when cooking corned beef?
Always include the spice packet that comes with your corned beef. Additionally, adding some bay leaves really completes the flavor profile.
Do you add salt to corned beef and cabbage?
No, the meat is salty enough plus the seasoning packet will give it enough flavor. If you add salt, you’ll only make this dish too salty.
How long should you cook corned beef?
When cooking a corned beef and cabbage crock pot recipe, cooking on the low setting for 8-10 hours is best to make sure your corned beef is nice and tender.
Does corned beef get tender the longer you cook it?
This depends on the method you are using to cook it. You could put it in your oven for a longer time at a higher temperature and ruin it. Whether slow cooking or baking, always remember to cook it at a low temperature for a longer duration.
How do you know when corned beef is done in slow cooker?
You’ll be able to tear it apart with a fork with ease. Also, if you follow the recipe, after 8 to 10 hours your slow cooker corned beef will be ready.
What goes well with Corned Beef
Soda bread or beer bread is nice to serve with corned beef. It will help you sop up that jus and provide a vessel for the meat. You can also serve a salad or sauteed veggies if you have more guests joining you. Garlic green beans or brussels sprouts will work nicely.
How to Store Corned Beef
Store your corned beef in airtight containers. You can also wrap the meat in foil. It needs to go in the fridge from there.
How Long Does Corned Beef Last?
In your fridge, corned beef lasts 3 to 4 days. If you have too much to eat within that span, consider freezing it.
Can You Freeze Corned Beef?
Absolutely! Make sure it is properly contained in freezer bags, foil, or airtight containers and you can keep your corned beef in the freezer up to 6 months.
How to Reheat Corned Beef?
If it’s frozen, let it thaw overnight in the fridge. When you’re ready, heat your oven to 350F, wrap the meat in foil, and heat for about 5 to 7 minutes.
Watch How To Make Corned Beef and Cabbage (Video)
Classic Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
- 3-4 lbs corned beef brisket (with seasoning packet)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb russet potatoes
- 1 lb golden potatoes
- 4 large carrots (chopped)
- 1 small head of cabbage (cut into wedges)
- In a 6 quart slow cooker, place the chopped onion in an even layer. Place the corned beef with the seasoning packet on top of the onions, then pour in the chicken stock until it almost covers the corned beef. Then, add in the garlic and bay leaves. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. When 3 hours have passed, add the carrots and potatoes. 2 hours prior to serving, add in the cabbage wedges. Once the corned beef is cooked until tender, remove from the crock pot and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing. Be sure to slice the corned beef against the grain. Serve with the potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and jus.
More corned beef and cabbage recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.