Ready for a fresh fish dish the whole family will love? This mahi mahi recipe is a winner for dinner every time. Even the kids ask me to make it and it’s one of my husband’s favorites. He says its the best way to cook mahi mahi. Plus, it looks classy enough to serve for a nice dinner when company joins you. Make this fresh mahi mahi fish recipe tonight!
Best Mahi Mahi Recipe
Tender and flaky, you’re going to love this fish dish. I’ll show you the secret to making mahi mahi that has plenty of flavor and the right texture. Once you make it, it’s going to be your favorite fish dish for sure!
Ingredients in Mahi Mahi Dish
- Mahi mahi filets – Get them fresh from your seafood counter. They should be about 4 ounces each.
- Extra virgin olive oil – So you can sear them on the stove before baking.
- Salt and pepper – the only mahi mahi seasoning you’ll need.
- Lemon garlic sauce – You’ll make this sauce for mahi mahi with softened salted butter, minced garlic, lemon juice, grated lemon peel, fresh chopped chives, fresh chopped parsley, and a pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper.
Addicted to fishing, forced to work.
Easy Mahi Mahi Recipe
It only takes 15 minutes to prep and 12 minutes to cook this pan seared mahi mahi recipe. And with such simple ingredients, you likely will only need to add the fresh mahi mahi filets to your shopping list to make this dish.
How do you Make Mahi Mahi from Scratch
When cooking mahi mahi, start by preheating your oven to 375F. You’ll pat the fish dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Next, make the lemon garlic mixture by combining the ingredients in a saucepan on your stove over low heat. In a skillet, heat olive oil and sear your fish for 3 minutes per side. Then add them to the baking dish and roast 4 to 5 minutes. Finish it off with the lemon garlic sauce and serve!
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Mahi Mahi Every Time
- Use fresh fish. It really is the best way to enjoy this dish.
- Make sure the filets are the same size. They should be about 4 ounces each and have about 1-inch of thickness.
- Pat them dry. If you don’t, they won’t sear.
- Get the oil hot. If you don’t get that oil super-hot, you won’t get a good browning on that fish. The browning adds flavor to pan fried mahi mahi.
- Make sure the oven is ready. You want to preheat at the beginning so you can move the fish into the oven from the stove seamlessly.
Is Mahi Mahi healthy?
Yes, it’s super healthy. It’s low-cal and has lots of vitamins, minerals, and protein. It also happens to taste great, making it a wonderful way to enjoy healthier meals.
What does mahi mahi fish taste like?
Mahi mahi is mild with a firm texture. It’s slightly sweet and a bit like swordfish. If you like swordfish, mahi mahi is a milder version.
How to Cook Mahi Mahi
You’ll use the stovetop for your sauce and for searing the fish. Then you’ll finish the fish in the oven. When you pull it out, you’ll add the sauce.
How do I cook mahi mahi with the skin on?
If your mahi mahi has skin on, you can cook it like this. It will peel right off whether you cook it first or not. Eating the skin isn’t recommended though because it’s tough.
What temperature should mahi mahi be cooked at?
Mahi mahi should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145F.
Can mahi mahi be pink in the middle when cooked?
No, it’s still raw if you see pink. Cooked mahi mahi will be off-white and have large, moist flakes.
How do you know when mahi mahi is done?
If you follow this recipe, you will have no trouble, but to be sure, you can check with a cooking thermometer for an internal temperature of 145F.
How do you know when baked mahi mahi is done?
When fully cooked, mahi mahi flakes easily. You can also check the internal temperature. If it’s 145F, it is ready!
Does mahi mahi need to be cooked through?
Mahi mahi should be cooked to medium rare or medium. Use your thermometer and check for an internal temperature of 145F to be certain it is cooked properly.
What goes well with Mahi Mahi
We love a fresh and crisp salad with a lemon vinaigrette. It goes beautifully with this dish. You can choose steamed rice or quinoa plus sauteed green veggies. I always go with whatever is fresh and in season so something like asparagus, spinach, or broccoli works well with this.
How to Store Mahi Mahi
You’ll need to put your mahi mahi leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge.
How Long Does Mahi Mahi Last?
It will be good for about 3 to 4 days in your fridge. From there, you will want to take any leftovers and put them in the freezer.
Can You Freeze Mahi Mahi?
Yes you can. It makes for a fabulous meal in minutes when you have it ready. Just take the steps to store it in airtight containers or freezer bags. I recommend using it within 4 months.
How to Reheat Mahi Mahi?
Let it thaw overnight in your fridge. Then heat it in your oven at 275F for about 15 minutes. This low temperature will warm it through without overcooking it.
Watch How To Make Mahi Mahi (Video)
Mahi Mahi Recipe
- 4 4oz Mahi Mahi filets
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
Lemon Garlic Sauce
- 3 tbsp salted butter (softened)
- 2 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon peel (grated)
- 1 tbsp fresh chives (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- kosher salt (pinch)
- black pepper (pinch)
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Pat dry any excess moisture off the fish fillet with paper towels until they are as dry as possible then sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Then, prepare the lemon garlic mixture. In a small saucepan on low heat, combine all of the lemon garlic mixture ingredients and set aside.
- In a large skillet on high heat, add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the fish fillets to the pan and sear for about 3 minutes on one side then flip. Place the fish in a baking dish and roast for about 4-5 minutes. Pour the lemon garlic mixture over the cooked fish. Serve with extra lemon slices and fresh parsley.
More mahi mahi recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.