Roasted potatoes are a wonderful side dish that keeps everyone coming back for more. In my house, when my husband and kids find out I’m serving this oven roasted potatoes recipe with dinner, they rush to the table as fast as they can. Easy, delicious, and nutritious, it comes together quick for an elegant meal any time.
Best Roasted Potatoes Recipe
Once upon a time, I used to buy those processed food kids. You know the ones. They promised delicious sides in no time. They have all kinds, including ones with potatoes. And then, I found out what was in them and needless to say, I found it was not only healthier but also tastier to make potatoes with ones I got from the produce department. This recipe ensures you’ve got tender, flavorful potatoes to go with your best meals.
Ingredients in Roasted Potatoes
- Red potatoes – you could use any potatoes, but with the red ones, you don’t need to worry about peeling. You can also substitute Yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoes if you do not have red potatoes.
- Garlic – mince your own for the best taste.
- Olive oil – a healthy fat to help the potatoes roast.
- Seasonings – a bit of Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, sea salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika is all you need to give these potatoes zing. If you do not have Italian seasoning you can simply use parsley, thyme, or other fresh herbs for a simple and delicious flavor.
Easy Roasted Potatoes Recipe
While this recipe does require planning a short time ahead, the steps are incredibly easy. Plus, it only takes 8 ingredients to make a side dish that will have everyone licking their plates.
This is deep…everything in the world is either a potato or not a potato.
How do you Make Roasted Potatoes from Scratch?
It’s so simple to get a delicious roasted potato side dish. You’ll chop the potatoes up, soak them in cold water, drain and dry them, and then coat them with the olive oil, garlic, and seasonings. Once that’s done, bake them for 35 minutes while you get the rest of dinner together.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Roasted Potatoes Every Time
- Soak those potatoes first. You don’t HAVE TO, but I can assure you that if you use this step, you will get perfectly crispy, roasted potatoes just like at your favorite restaurant.
- Make sure you drain and dry them well. For the soaking to have the desired effect of removing excess starch, you must drain them and dry them off after soaking.
- Try a salad spinner. I used mine to help dry off the potatoes in record time!
How to Cook Roasted Potatoes
Roasted potatoes are made in the oven. You will want to give them that soaking before you begin roasting. After that, it’s very quick to make!
Which potato is best for roasting?
Red potatoes are the best because they are easier to prepare and cut. There’s no need to peel them either.
Should potatoes be soaked before roasting?
Yes. You can skip this step but your potatoes will not get as crispy as they would with the soaking.
How do you make roast potatoes crispy?
The secret is soaking them for an hour before roasting. This draws out the starches to make them nice and crispy.
Why won’t my roast potatoes go crispy?
You are not soaking them. A cold water soak an hour prior to cooking is what helps them get crispy.
Why are my roast potatoes soggy?
You likely didn’t drain and dry them enough. After soaking, you must make sure to remove excess water so they will get that crisp texture you want.
How Long to Bake Roasted Potatoes
It will take 35 minutes in your oven at 400F to roast potatoes properly.
What to Serve with Roasted Potatoes
Oh, the possibilities! Roasted chicken, ham, steak, pork tenderloin, lamb chops, or even baked fish are all stellar main dishes to serve with your roasted potatoes.
How to Store Roasted Potatoes
Roasted potatoes need to be refrigerated after you’re done serving them. Cooked potatoes cannot be left out on the countertop all night.
How Long Do Roasted Potatoes Last?
In an airtight container, you can enjoy those roasted potatoes for between 3 and 5 days.
Can You Freeze Roasted Potatoes?
Absolutely! You get more life out of them too so if everyone is all potato-ed out, you can put them in the freezer. Properly wrapped or encased in an airtight container, they will last for as long as a year.
How to Reheat Roasted Potatoes?
Thaw in the fridge overnight first, then bake until hot. You can also zap them in the microwave but they lose their lovely texture that way.
Roasted Potatoes Recipe
- 2 lbs red potatoes chopped
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 400F. While the oven preheats, cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes and allow to soak in cold water for about an hour.
- Drain and dry the potatoes, then toss in the olive oil and seasoning. Bake for about 35 minutes on a baking sheet or pan until browned and fork tender.
More roasted potato recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.