There’s nothing better than ringing in a birthday with a birthday cake! In my family, whenever birthdays roll around, everyone asks me to make this homemade birthday cake recipe. The sweet vanilla flavor and the moist texture of the cake get so many rave reviews I just may have to open my own bakery!
Best Birthday Cake Recipe
What makes the best birthday cake recipe? Is it the moist texture of the cake? Is it the creamy and sweet frosting? Or is it that you have layers of both these things that give your mouth cause for celebration plus some fun and colorful sprinkles? I think it’s all of the above!
Homemade Birthday Cake Ingredients
- Cake flour – It all begins here to make the base of the cake
- Baking powder and baking soda – You need both to get this cake to rise to the occasion and ensure you end up with a fluffy vanilla cake recipe.
- Unsalted butter – Make sure you let it soften first!
- Granulated sugar – Otherwise your cake won’t be sweet.
- Eggs – These bind the ingredients together. You’ll need 3 large eggs plus 2 egg whites separately.
- Buttermilk – The secret to a moist texture in this moist vanilla cake recipe.
- Vanilla extract – To create more depth in the flavor.
- Rainbow sprinkles – Hello! This is a birthday cake! We need sprinkles in the mix!
- Vanilla buttercream – Don’t buy that jarred goo. You will make your own with unsalted butter, confectioner’s sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, and salt.
There’s nothing a cake can’t solve.
Easy Birthday Cake Recipe
Homemade birthday cakes only look intimidating. I’ll admit there’s a lot of prep work here, but it is all easy. I’ve put the steps together for you to follow and if you do that, you’ll have an easy birthday cake recipe you can count on for every birthday in your family.
How do you Make a Easy Birthday Cake from Scratch
You’ll begin by preheating your oven and greasing your 3 cake pans (they should be 9 inches in size). Then you’ll mix the dry ingredients together. In another bowl, you’ll beat the butter and sugar until it’s creamy, then add the eggs, egg whites, and vanilla on high speed. After that, you put it on low and add the dry ingredients until they’re just combined. Follow that with the buttermilk and then slowly fold in your sprinkles. Pour the batter into the pans and bake until they’re golden. Let them cool and make the frosting. Then you can assemble them together and decorate for the birthday boy or girl!
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Birthday Cake Every Time
- Give your layers time to cool completely. Patience is important with baking birthday cake from scratch. If it’s slightly warm, the frosting will melt.
- Check the cake with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the cake is finished baking.
- After chilling the cake in the fridge, let it come to room temperature before serving. When cake is cold, it can have a dry texture and the frosting gets hard. I let mine sit out a little bit so the cake tempers out.
How can I make a simple birthday cake at home?
Just follow this homemade cake recipe and you’ll make an easy birthday cake at home that everyone will go crazy for!
Which type of cake is best for birthday?
It depends on your specific tastes as to which cake is best for a birthday. Generally speaking though, it should have at least 2 layers (ideally 3, or even more) and a rich frosting. Sprinkles can certainly make any cake more festive for a birthday, much like this homemade cake recipe!
How do you make a vanilla cake moist from scratch?
To make a moist vanilla cake from scratch, it’s easy if you follow this simple cake recipe. The steps will guide you on how to prepare the batter, bake it, make your own buttercream frosting, and put it all together.
How do you bake a cake step by step?
Follow this simple cake recipe and you can bake a cake step by step. In short, you preheat the oven, grease the cake pans, prepare the batter, bake the batter, make the buttercream, let the cakes cool, and then assemble it all together.
What ingredient makes a cake moist?
Cake flour in this recipe helps as do the eggs and buttermilk. These all contribute to a wonderful texture that doesn’t feel crumbly or dry when you bite into it.
What is the difference between white cake and vanilla cake?
In a white cake, egg whites are used. But in a vanilla cake, the yolks are used too which gives it a golden yellow color.
What makes a cake moist and fluffy?
The secret in this recipe is the buttermilk which gives it a tang yet promotes a moist and fluffy texture.
Which oil is best to use in cakes?
Canola oil is preferred when baking, however this cake uses softened unsalted butter to give it that buttery richness a birthday cake needs.
What happens if I add an extra egg to my cake mix?
When you add an extra egg, you get a more moist cake. It helps further bind things together and make a richer texture.
Can you make a birthday cake the day before?
Yes, you can! Just wrap it up well and tuck it in the fridge. You can also wait to frost it until the day of if you’d prefer.
How Long to Bake Birthday Cake
At 350F, it will take approximately 25 minutes for your cake layers to bake. You will want to check it at about 20 minutes with the toothpick to see if things are on track.
How do you frost a cake for beginners?
I like to use a cake turntable. This makes it easy to spread the frosting all over the cake. I also recommend you make sure your cake layers have cooled completely or you’ll wind up with melted frosting.
What goes well with Birthday Cake
You can’t go wrong with ice cream, whipped cream, hot fudge, and any other toppings! I like setting out an array of options for guests at our birthday parties. I also put out some fresh berries to balance out the sweetness.
How to Store Birthday Cake
Because of the buttercream in this cake, you should refrigerate it when done serving. You should wrap up whatever is leftover and put it in the fridge.
How Long Does Birthday Cake Last?
Your birthday cake will be good in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. After that, you’ll want to secure it in the freezer for a special treat to enjoy at another time.
Can You Freeze Birthday Cake?
Go for it! Wrap it well and you can keep your birthday cake in the freezer for up to 2 months.
How to Reheat Birthday Cake?
No heating is necessary here. Take the birthday cake out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. You can then take it out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
Watch How To Make Birthday Cake (Video)
Easy Birthday Cake Recipe
- 3 2/3 cups cake flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (softened)
- 6 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease three 9-inch cake pans.
- First, mix together the dry ingredients. Whisk the cake flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and set aside.
- Then, using a a handheld mixer, beat the butter and sugar together for about 3-4 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the eggs, egg whites, and vanilla extract until combined on high speed. Then, with the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients until just combined. Pour in the buttermilk and mix until just combined. Then, slowly fold in the rainbow sprinkles.
- Pour the batter evenly into the three cake pans and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of each cake. Allow the cakes to completely cool before frosting and assembling.
- While the cakes cool, make the frosting. In a large bowl, use a hand-held mixer and beat the butter for about 2 minutes on medium speed. Then, on low speed, add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, assemble and decorate. This is best done on a cake turntable. Use an icing spatula to evenly cover each layer of cake and spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides. Refrigerate for 1 hour before slicing and serving.
More cake recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.