One of my favorite light and fresh meals to serve is this oven baked salmon recipe. Cooking salmon in the oven is one of the best ways to cook salmon and tastes just like you’d get at a restaurant. The key is using fresh salmon which needs very little to make it taste amazing. My family is always happy to come to the table whenever I serve it.
Best Baked Salmon Recipe
Salmon is so delicious on its own that it doesn’t need much fuss. You let the freshness of the salmon shine with a few key seasonings to help bring out its natural flavors. My husband how loves seafood calls this one the best baked salmon recipe in the world. Who needs creamy, canned sauces? Let the freshness do the talking!
Baked Salmon Meal Ingredients
- Fresh salmon fillet – don’t use frozen or you won’t have the most delicious results.
- Lemon – lemon slices or lemon juice are always a perfect complement to seafood.
- Garlic – adds the perfect pungent touch.
- Rosemary – fresh herbs like rosemary are perfect salmon seasoning to bring out the best flavors.
Easy Baked Salmon Recipe
For those that have never made fish at home, this easy baked salmon recipe will be your new go-to every time you want fresh fish. Cooking salmon in the oven is as simple as adding the salmon and seasonings to foil, sealing it up, and baking it to perfection!
Don’t leave it to salmon else.
How to Make Baked Salmon
The good news is oven baked salmon is one of the easiest ways to cook salmon and is one of the most forgiving. All you’ll need to do is preheat your oven to the right temperature, prep the foil for the salmon, add it in with the seasonings, seal it off, and bake your salmon in the oven. You’ll finish it with a quick broil to add the final touch of flavor!
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Baked Salmon Every Time
- Always use fresh salmon! – It is never the same when it’s frozen.
- Room temp – Be sure to let your salmon come to room temperature for 10 minutes before you begin baking it. This will ensure it cooks just right.
- Seal the foil – For most oven baked salmon recipes, seal it up. This locks in the steam and juices as it cooks in the oven.
- Don’t forget to broil! – Broil it at the end so the garlic gets the perfect flavor to complement the salmon.
Do I need to rinse salmon before cooking?
If your salmon is fresh, there is no need to do so. You can pat it dry after letting it sit out for 10 minutes if needed.
What should I season salmon with?
Salmon is such a tasty fish on its own that it barely needs any help from seasoning. With lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and fresh rosemary, it’s a simple way to bring out the flavor of the fish without overpowering it with salmon seasoning.
What herbs go well with fish?
So many people love dill with fish, but rosemary, which is used in this recipe, also complements it. It depends on the flavors you want to present, but experimenting with fresh herbs can help you find your ideal taste.
What is the healthiest way to cook salmon?
There are several healthy salmon recipes, but baking salmon is one of the healthiest ways to cook it. You use less oil and still come out with more flavor. Melted butter is commonly used on salmon but this recipe calls for olive oil as it is healthier.
Is salmon better in the oven or pan?
Salmon is definitely better in the oven. It’s easier cleanup plus your oven will get it to the perfect temperature. This method will keep you from scrubbing a baking pan by using foil.
Should I wrap salmon in foil when baking?
Yes, you absolutely should wrap it in foil to trap in the steam. At the end of the bake time, you’ll open it up and set your oven to broil to finish it off.
What do you soak salmon in before cooking?
Some people will soak salmon in a brine of salt water for 10 minutes before cooking. In this recipe, all you need to do is set it out to room temperature for 15 minutes while your oven preheats.
How to Bake Salmon in the Oven
Determining how long to cook salmon in the oven will depend on the size and thickness of your cut. A good temperature to cook salmon is 375°F. At a salmon cook temp of 375°F, 15-20 minutes is fairly accurate to cook through. You want to make sure your salmon internal temp reaches about 145°F. The best way to not overcook or undercook your salmon is to use a meat thermometer to check the baked salmon temp internally to make sure its reached 145°F.
Are you supposed to flip salmon in the oven?
No, there’s no need to flip your salmon over in the oven. The skin side will be facing down on top of lemon slices and rosemary sprigs which will keep it from sticking.
How do you bake salmon without overcooking it?
The trick is to cook it at a lower temperature. In this recipe, you’ll preheat the oven to 375F. This will take about 15 to 20 minutes depending on how thick it is. The internal temperature should be 145F when it’s finished.
What temperature should salmon be cooked at?
You’ll cook it at 375F until the internal temperature of the salmon reaches 145F.
How long to bake salmon at 350?
At 350°F a 1 lb salmon fillet will take about 20 to 25 minutes for the salmon internal temp to reach 145°F.
How long to bake salmon at 375?
At 375°F a 1 lb salmon fillet will take about 15 to 20 minutes for the salmon internal temp to reach 145°F.
How long to bake salmon at 400?
At 400°F a 1 lb salmon fillet will take about 12 to 18 minutes for the salmon internal temp to reach 145°F.
How long to bake salmon at 425?
At 425°F a 1 lb salmon fillet will take about 7 to 12 minutes for the salmon internal temp to reach 145°F.
How do you keep salmon from drying out in the oven?
The olive oil and lemon in this recipe will keep your baked salmon fillet from drying out. Additionally, sealing the foil around it locks in all the juices and will keep the texture of your fish nice and moist.
Do you cook salmon in the oven covered or uncovered?
In this recipe, I recommend wrapping the salmon loosely in a foil packet. This traps in the steam and creates the perfect conditions to cook it fully without drying it out.
What is the white stuff that comes out of salmon when you bake it?
That’s just a harmless protein called albumin. It coagulates when the salmon is heated. Cooking with the skin-side down can help reduce the amount of albumin you see.
How to Cook Salmon
You can cook salmon in many ways. Many people enjoy cooking it on the stove, but I love baked salmon in foil with lemon and butter because it’s less hands-on, which is ideal for moms. Plus, that allows me to whip up some side dishes to round out the meal.
How Long to Bake Salmon
It should take about 15 to 20 minutes to bake your salmon. Much of it depends on the thickness of the salmon fillets you have. It should have an internal temperature of 145°F.
What is a good side dish with Salmon?
Salmon is so light and refreshing. You never want to overwhelm it with heavy sides. Asparagus, herb-roasted potatoes, couscous, quinoa, brussels sprouts, or a Greek salad would be lovely with this recipe.
How to Store Baked Salmon
If you have leftover baked salmon, put the remainder of it in airtight containers or wrap with aluminum foil. It will last up to 4 days in your fridge.
Can You Freeze Baked Salmon?
When you freeze your baked salmon, you can keep it for up to 6 months. This will make it an easy no-fuss meal on a hectic night.
How to Reheat Frozen Baked Salmon
With frozen baked salmon, you should take the container it’s frozen in and place it in the fridge to thaw overnight. If you’re in a hurry, you can immerse that container in cold water.
Classic Baked Salmon Recipe
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 lemons
- 2 lbs fresh salmon fillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp garlic (minced)
- Take the salmon out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. While the oven is heating, line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. To prevent the salmon from sticking, coat the foil with non-stick spray, and then place two sprigs of the fresh rosemary horizontally in the middle of the baking sheet. Cut one of the lemons into thin slices and lay them down next to the rosemary. Carefully place the salmon fillet on top of the rosemary and lemon slices and drizzle with the olive oil and evenly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Rub to evenly coat the salmon an follow by placing the minced garlic on top. Using a citrus press, juice the second lemon and pour the juice over the salmon. Carefully wrap the salmon by folding the sides of the foil up and over the top of the salmon so that it is completely covered.
- Bake the salmon in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until the salmon is completely cooked through at the thickest part. Once cooked through, change your oven to the broil setting and open the foil and broil the salmon for about 3-5 minutes or until the garlic is golden but not burnt. Once finished, remove and cut the salmon into portions and sprinkle the additional herbs on top and serve.
More salmon recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.