Here’s an easy 30-minute homemade beef stroganoff recipe that has everyone gobbling up second helpings in my house. As a kid, I remember my mom making it and I would always be so happy when she did. As an adult, I’d use those kits to help until I found out about all those artificial ingredients. When I made it myself, it tasted better and I could be confident in giving my family a truly wholesome and delicious meal. This one has become a really family favorite!
Best Beef Stroganoff Recipe
The best beef stroganoff comes from fresh ingredients. If you have only used boxed kits to make your beef stroganoff, you will soon see that going fresh is just as easy and tastes so much better.
Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
- Beef – choose a skirt steak or thinly-sliced flank steak. Sirloin steak cut into thin strips would be my third choice. If you only have ground beef on hand you can absolutely use it in a pinch to make ground beef stroganoff. When making beef stroganoff with ground beef you can follow the same instructions and simply cook the ground beef through.
- Egg noodles – these serve as the bed for your beef. Noodles are traditional, and my favorite, but you can also use rice or polenta.
- Mushrooms – they add a savory and earthy component to the dish.
- Sour cream – adds that notorious tang for the beef stroganoff sauce.
- Worcestershire sauce – the secret to the best stroganoff.
- Dry white wine – for a hint of elegance.
- All-purpose flour – thickens up the sauce for that rich texture.
Let them eat cake. I would rather have beef stroganoff.
Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
How would you like dinner to take just 5 minutes prep time tonight? This easy beef stroganoff recipe will be on your table in just 30 minutes. It’s the kind of meal that even kids will dig right into too!
Expert Tips for Creamy Beef Stroganoff Every Time
- Choose quality beef – I’m a big believer in the ingredients shining through. If you choose top-quality in your beef, this dish will come out perfectly.
- Stir well when making the sauce -This combines all the ingredients and keeps it from being lumpy.
- Don’t skip the wine! – Deglazing the pan is what helps bring the beef stroganoff sauce to life.
How do you Make Beef Stroganoff from Scratch
To make traditional beef stroganoff from scratch, you’ll cook the egg noodles and at the same time, cook your meat. You’ll then use the same pan as you did for cooking the meat to make the sauce. Once the sauce is ready, you add back the meat and then you’ll add it all over those tender egg noodles for a warm and comforting meal. Making beef stroganoff from scratch is leaps and bounds better than making beef stroganoff with cream of mushroom soup. This recipe takes the plain old cream of mushroom soup recipe and kicks it into high gear!
How to Cook Beef Stroganoff
Making homemade beef stroganoff only looks difficult. This simple beef stroganoff recipe breaks it down into easy to follow steps. In its most basic form, you’ll cook the noodles, sauté the meat, sauté the onions and mushrooms, and then make the sauce. It all comes together so quickly, making it easy to serve a complete dinner in just 30 minutes.
How to make stroganoff sauce from scratch?
The base of stroganoff sauce is made with a roux of butter and flour. This is then added to with white wine, Worcestershire sauce, and sour cream, along with the sauteed onions and mushrooms that lend it such a comforting flavor.
What cut of beef is best for beef stroganoff?
Thinly sliced flank steak or skirt steak are ideal. They’re easy to cook up and come out tender rather than chewy. Nothing is more off-putting in beef stroganoff than chewy hunks of meat.
Will sour cream thicken stroganoff?
No, what thickens it is the addition of flour or cornstarch slurry. Sour cream adds that tang and creaminess to the sauce.
What can I replace sour cream with in beef stroganoff?
Plain or Greek yogurt is probably the best swap you can find that’s ready to go in your beef stroganoff. Use it at a 1:1 ratio and you’ll have the same great taste!
Can you use milk instead of sour cream in beef stroganoff?
Sour cream is definitely best, though if you’re all out, you can use a cup of whole milk mixed with a tablespoon of lemon juice. It won’t be as rich but you’ll get that signature tang in flavor.
How do you tenderize stew meat for beef stroganoff?
You can pound it to tenderize the stew meat if that’s what you have. Or if you’re planning ahead, you can marinate it the night before to ensure it takes on a tender texture rather than a chewy one.
How do you add flavor to stroganoff?
The flavor in beef stroganoff comes from the onions, mushrooms, garlic, wine, Worcestershire sauce, sour cream, and beef stock. Each one of these ingredients adds a little more depth that takes the taste to a whole new level.
How do you make beef stroganoff better?
Beef stroganoff tastes better when you use wholesome ingredients. Fresh baby portobello mushrooms, quality sour cream, white wine, Worcestershire sauce, fresh parsley, and a good cut of beef all make it better.
How do you make hamburger stroganoff from scratch?
Simply use ground beef instead in the first step, being careful not to overcook it before going onto the second step and you’ll have hamburger stroganoff from scratch.
What to Serve with Beef Stroganoff (Side Dishes)
A green salad goes great with this rich dish as do any sauteed veggie sides. Think seasonal and fresh and just go with it. Also, a side of mashed potatoes and a good bottle of wine makes this even more of an elegant and cozy winter meal.
How To Store Leftover Beef Stroganoff
Beef stroganoff can go bad quickly, so don’t leave it out longer than 2 hours. Wrap it well and refrigerate and it should keep for up to 4 days.
Can You Freeze Beef Stroganoff?
You can definitely freeze beef stroganoff for another day. Make sure it cools first, then put it in airtight containers or freezer bags. Label it and be sure to use it before 3 months is up.
How to Reheat Frozen Beef Stroganoff
You’ll want to take your frozen beef stroganoff out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Then you can warm it over the stovetop until it’s ready.
Classic Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 lb uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup butter (divided)
- 1 1/2 lbs thinly-sliced flank or skirt steak
- 1 small white onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 lb baby bella sliced mushroom
- 8 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock ((beef broth))
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- fresh parsley (chopped for garnish)
- Fill a large pot about 3/4 of the way with water an heat over high heat and bring to a boil. Generously salt the water and cook the egg noodles until tender. While the pasta is cooking, melt 2 tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the steak to the sauce pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 3 minutes to sear on one side. Once browned on one side, flip the steak and cook on the other side until evenly browned. Remove the steak from the pan, place it on a plate and set aside. To make sure the meat is evenly cooked, you may want to cook the meat in batches to avoid overfilling the pan.
- Using the same saute pan, add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the saute pan and melt over medium high heat. Once melted, add the onions and saute for about 3 minutes until they become semi translucent, add the mushrooms and saute for an additional 6 minutes and then add in the garlic. Carefully pour in the white wine and stir regularly allowing the mixture to reduce for another 3 minutes.
- While the wine mixture is reducing, in a mixing bowl, add in the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and flour and whisk until well combined. Carefully pour the mixture into the saute pan, stir well to combine and bring to a simmer for about 4 minutes. Next, add the sour cream and cooked steak and stir until well combined and the meat is evenly coated. Serve warm over the cooked egg noodles and garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!
More beef stroganoff recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.