Creme Brulee is one of my favorite desserts ever, and probably yours too. Rich and creamy under that caramelized layer of sugar, it’s heaven in every bite. And while it is on every 5-star menu everywhere, you’ll be amazed how simple it is to whip up this classic creme brulee recipe for your family. I love to treat my husband to this for a romantic dinner though I make sure to save some for the kids too.
Best Creme Brulee Recipe
On my first date with my husband, we went to a restaurant with the best creme brulee. Then one day, I decided to make it myself and ever since, it’s just been my favorite thing to make for company or to surprise my family.
Creme Brulee Ingredients
- Heavy cream – To give it that creamy indulgent texture we all know and love.
- Vanilla beans – You can also use vanilla extract if you can’t find these.
- Egg yolks – That’s how you make a custard, after all!
- Sugar – To sweeten the deal inside as well as create that topping!
- Salt – To balance that sweetness.
Easy Creme Brulee Recipe
All it takes is 20 minutes to prep your vanilla creme brulee and then a little more time to bake it in creme brulee ramekins. With so few ingredients and such ease of making this prestigious dessert, you’re about to see that this easy creme brulee is simple enough even for beginners to make!
My heart melts a little bit every time I break the top of a creme brulee.
How do you Make Creme Brulee from Scratch?
Heat your oven to 325F and combine the cream, vanilla, and salt in a saucepan on the stove over low until hot. Let it sit for a few minutes before removing the vanilla bean. Then in a mixing bowl, beat the yolks and sugar together until light and airy, then add part of the heavy cream. After that pour the rest of the sugar-egg mixture into the cream and stir. Pout this into ramekins and put those in a baking dish filled halfway with boiling water. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, then let cool. After cooling refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours. Then add a thin layer of sugar and use a creme brulee torch or heat gun to brown it.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Vanilla Creme Brulee Every Time
- Use a whisk for the yolks and sugar. This gives them that silky and wonderful texture in custard form.
- Get rid of air bubbles. You can do this with a spoon to slowly mix the bubbles in or skim them off the top.
- Use the center rack. Before you preheat your oven, put the rack in the middle so you have even heating from the top and bottom.
Is creme brulee just a custard?
It is a custard, but it’s not just a custard. It is complete with caramelized sugar on top which sets it apart from plain custard.
What’s creme brulee made of?
Creme brulee is made with heavy cream, vanilla beans, egg yolks, salt, and sugar.
What cream do you use for creme brulee?
In this recipe, I use heavy cream. You could try to sub in something else but it won’t be as rich and custardy.
What is the best cream for creme brulee?
Heavy cream is the best cream because it is essential for making custard which is what creme brulee is.
What can I use instead of heavy cream for creme brulee?
You could use Greek yogurt which may give you similar results, but heavy cream is the gold standard for this recipe.
What is the best size ramekin for creme brulee?
While you can use other sizes, a 6-ounce ramekin is the best size for making creme brulee.
How to make creme brulee?
Creme brulee is made on the stovetop and then poured into ramekins to bake in the oven. The final touch is done with a heat gun to brown the sugar topping.
How long to bake creme brulee?
At 325F, you’ll bake the creme brulee for 30 to 40 minutes until wobbly in the center.
What goes well with creme brulee?
You can serve your creme brulee with fresh berries and whipped cream. As for wine, a lovely Sauternes or dessert wine will be just perfect.
How to Store Creme Brulee?
Creme brulee must be refrigerated. If you have any remaining, cover it well and put it in the fridge.
How Long Does Creme Brulee Last?
Leftover creme brulee is a treat though make sure you eat it all up within 3 days.
Can You Freeze Creme Brulee?
Yes, you can! It will keep for up to a month. So if you’re tired of creme brulee (hahaha, who could possibly tire of it?!?) then you can put it in the freezer.
How to Reheat Creme Brulee?
Simply thaw the creme brulee in your fridge overnight. When you’re ready to serve it, top with sugar and brown it with your heat gun.
Watch How To Make Creme Brulee (Video)
Classic Creme Brulee Recipe
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 vanilla beans (split lengthwise) (or 1 tsp of vanilla extract)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 325F. While the oven is heating, combine the cream, vanilla bean, and salt in a medium saucepan on low heat until it just becomes hot. Allow the mixture to sit for 2-4 minutes, then remove the vanilla bean.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together until light and airy. Add about a quarter of the heavy cream into the mixture. Once added, pour the rest of the sugar-egg mixture into the remaining cream and stir.
- Pour into 6-ounce ramekins and place in a baking dish. Fill the dish with boiling water halfway up the baking dish. Bake for between 30-40 minutes, or until the centers are still wobbly. Let them cool completely.
- Once cool, refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Once ready to serve, sprinkle each ramekin with a thin layer of sugar. Use either a heat gun or place the ramekins under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until the sugar melts and browns.
More creme brulee recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.