Everyone loves this homemade pancake recipe for breakfast, especially kids! My kids always request this easy pancake recipe that uses real ingredients and none of that weird boxed stuff that I’m not even sure what it’s made from.
Best Pancake Recipe
The best fluffy pancake recipe uses eggs differently than the others. I like to separate my yolks and my whites to give the texture the kind you find when you go out for a mega-brunch with those heavenly stacks of homemade pancakes.
This easy old fashioned pancake recipe calls for basic ingredients you likely already have in your cupboard.
- Eggs – when learning how to make homemade pancakes, the best way to get perfect fluffy pancakes is to separate the yolks from the whites.
- Baking powder – when making the best pancake mix, baking powder helps the flour rise so your pancakes have the same fluffy texture you crave from the pancake house.
- Butter – melt it so it mixes in with that rich taste.
- Sugar – any pancake batter recipe needs sugar to have that nice, sweet flavor you love.
How do you Make Pancakes from Scratch
Making a pancake recipe from scratch is just as easy as making them from a box, but they taste better and are better for you because they’re made from wholesome ingredients. You’ll mix the yolks in with sugar and melted butter, then add milk. You’ll then sift in the dry ingredients and stir it together.
Then with your hand-mixer, you’ll whip up the egg whites and fold that into your other mixture. The key is to mix it well but not so much that there are no lumps. Lumpy pancake batter = the best pancakes from scratch!
How do you make pancake mix from scratch?
If you want to make old fashioned pancakes from scratch even easier, you can always prep your dry ingredients in advance. This way, when you and your crew want fluffy pancakes from scratch, you can simply mix in the wet ingredients. Make sure you store the dry ingredients of your homemade pancake mix recipe in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
Easy Pancake Recipe
If you’re a beginner, this is an easy pancake recipe with step by step instructions to get you started. Just because the eggs are separated doesn’t make it anymore complex. In fact, you’ll have it ready to cook in 10 minutes. From there, it’s another 10 minutes of cooking and you’ll soon have gorgeous stacks of easy homemade pancakes for the whole family to enjoy.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Pancakes
- Check the baking powder – most people never think to check the expiration date on their baking powder. If your baking powder is old or expired, you will find that your pancakes will come out flat instead of fluffy.
- Sift your dry ingredients – by sifting or whisking your dry ingredients you will avoid getting lumps in your pancakes and will end up with a deliciously smooth texture to your pancakes.
- Do not overmix – when learning how to make pancake batter, avoid over-mixing the batter as it will change the texture of the pancakes.
- Use oil – use oil or oil cooking spray over butter when cooking pancakes. Butter can brown and burn more easily than oil. Oil will give you even brown crispy edges without burning them.
- Go big – when learning how to cook pancakes, use a large skillet. Pancakes spread in the skillet and small skillets make it very difficult to flip the pancake properly. I prefer my large 12 inch skillet as it gives you much more room to get all the way under the pancake with the spatula.
What is the secret to good pancakes?
The secret to good pancakes is using wholesome and fresh ingredients. Additionally, it’s knowing when to flip the pancakes for the optimum coloring.
What is the best pancake mix?
This quick pancake recipe is the best mix ever. You can always prepare the dry ingredients in portions and then add the wet ingredients when you’re ready to make them. Make sure they’re kept in an airtight container!
What to add to pancake mix to make it better?
If you have a box mix you’re trying to perk up, try adding just a shake of baking soda, some vanilla, or sugar. You can also add a little bit of maple syrup to the batter.
Are Pancakes Gluten-free?
No, but with a few simple tweaks, you can make them gluten-free by using gluten-free flour.
Are Pancakes Vegan?
Because pancakes use eggs, butter, and milk, they are not vegan. But you can make vegan pancakes by subbing vegetable oil for butter, omitting the eggs, and using soy milk instead of dairy milk.
I’m going to have pancakes with a side of pancakes.
How do you make fluffy pancakes from scratch?
If you want fluffy pancakes, this is an important step to follow in the recipe. The secret is in the eggs. Separating them is the key to these fluffy results and it takes no extra time or stress. Once you do it this way, you’ll never go back to simply chucking eggs into your mix.
What is the secret to light fluffy pancakes?
Some people use vinegar and baking soda, but in this recipe, I use baking powder, flour, and separate the whites and yolks of the eggs which makes it fluffy beyond belief.
Does milk or water make pancakes fluffier?
Milk is best because it adds flavor as well as fat to make your pancakes taste better. They’ll have a more amazing texture than with water. Of course, if you’re out of milk, you can use water, but it won’t be the same.
Does baking soda make pancakes fluffier?
Baking soda adds a leavening quality to give your pancake batter lift. In this recipe, baking powder is used, which has the same effect to make your pancakes become airy and fluffy.
Different Toppings for Pancakes
The old tried and true pat of butter and maple syrup is always a classic, though you can use different toppings:
- Whipped cream
- Fresh fruit
- Chocolate chips
- Flavored syrups (like blueberry or boysenberry)
How to Store Leftover Pancakes
Leftover pancakes are so easy to store. If you somehow find yourself with extras, you can seal them in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They’ll make a perfect quick breakfast on school days too.
Can You Freeze Pancakes?
Yes! That’s the best part! Again, airtight is the key. Seal those babies up and pop them in the freezer. They’ll be good for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat Pancakes
The fastest and easiest way to reheat your pancakes is in the microwave. It takes about 20 to 30 seconds depending on the wattage of your microwave to heat up one serving of pancakes.
You can also use your toaster, but if you have a large batch of them to heat up, use your oven. Simply preheat to 350F, then put your pancakes in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Cover the pancakes securely with foil and bake it for up to 10 minutes or until they’re all hot and ready.
Best Homemade Pancake Recipe
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 4 tbsp butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups flour (all purpose)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 egg whites
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar and melted butter until smooth. Add in the milk and then whisk again.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet as smooth as possible.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites into stiff peaks with an electric hand mixer, then gently fold them into the cake batter until just combined.
- In a small skillet, on low medium heat setting melt butter until bubbling or use non-stick cooking spray. Add your pancake batter, flipping when bubbles form over the surface of the pancake. Cook for 1 minute on the other side.
- Serve and top with your favorite toppings. Butter, maple syrup, honey, ice cream, yogurt all make this classic delicious!
More pancake recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.