You don’t need to wait for a holiday to make this green bean casserole recipe. In fact, it’s easy enough to make for any dinner. Let it be Christmas in July or a Sunday dinner on a Monday night. It’s the family favorite recipe the whole family loves every time!
Best Green Bean Casserole Recipe
This is the best green bean casserole recipe that makes those family-style flavors so perfectly. It’s the perfect Christmas or Thanksgiving holiday side dish and delicious every single time!
Easy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
It’s funny because I used to think green bean casserole was such a hard dish since it was always in my mom and grandma’s holiday lineups. But it takes only 8 ingredients and 35 minutes from start to finish so you can make this any time.
Ingredients in Green Bean Casserole
- Green beans – use canned for a softer texture or fresh green beans (boil first) for a firm texture. I prefer canned for this recipe.
- Mushroom soup – the canned cream of mushroom works great but…
- Heavy cream – if you mix it together with heavy cream, it takes it to a whole new level of creamy deliciousness. Its almost like a creamy mushroom sauce!
- Crispy onions – you’ll add these french fried onions in the casserole and on top for plenty of texture and flavor. Fried onions are the best option here but if you must, you can substitute panko or breadcrumbs.
- Cheddar cheese – who can resist more cheese? I’ve also done a blend of half cheddar half Parmesan cheese that was delicious.
- Seasonings – smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper give this a more refined taste. A dash of garlic or celery salt can also add a good flavor.
How do you Make Green Bean Casserole from Scratch?
It really couldn’t be easier. You’ll start by mixing the cream of mushroom soup with the heavy cream. Then you’ll add in the drained green beans, seasonings, and crispy onions. You’ll top it off with a layer of the cheese and then more crispy onions, bake, and then serve.
Lean, mean, green bean casserole machine.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Green Bean Casserole Every Time
- Use heavy cream. The cream of mushroom soup isn’t enough to make it as rich as you’d like. With heavy cream, everyone will want to know why your green bean casserole is so incredible.
- Dislike mushrooms? You can use a different cream soup. Again, don’t skip the heavy cream though!
- You can make it ahead so you can just bake it the day you plan to serve it. Leave the crispy onions out of it though until you’re ready to bake or they’ll get soggy and gross.
How to Cook Green Bean Casserole
Green bean casserole bakes in the oven. Once you have it assembled, you’ll pop it in the oven and soon smell deliciousness throughout your home!
What can I use instead of cream of mushroom soup in green bean casserole?
You can use any can of creamy soup, like cream of celery for example. You can also make your own creamy soup for casserole mixes with 2 tablespoons of butter, 3 tablespoons of flour, a half-cup of chicken broth, and half-cup of milk with salt and pepper to taste. Make a roux with the butter and flour, then slowly add in the broth, followed by the milk.
Why is my green bean casserole runny?
If you don’t use the right ingredients, you may find yourself with a runny green bean casserole. Follow this recipe and you should see complete success!
How do you thicken a watery casserole?
Add a cornstarch and water slurry, slowly stirring it in until it gets to your desired thickness.
How Long to Bake Green Bean Casserole
It takes about 30 minutes to bake a green bean casserole at 350F. Set your timer and take a peek. If it’s bubbly and hot, it’s ready!
Can you prep green bean casserole ahead?
You can make it up to 48 hours in advance. Just keep the crispy onions out until you’re ready to bake it or they will get soggy. If you’re making large batch, you an prep it a large bowl or large pot and then bake in batches when ready.
What to Serve with Green Bean Casserole
Green bean casserole goes with traditional dinner items like roast chicken, turkey, beef, or pork. You can serve other sides with it too like mac n’ cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy, cauliflower or broccoli with cheese, sauteed spinach, a green salad, and fresh-baked dinner rolls.
How to Store Green Bean Casserole
Because of the heavy cream and cheese, once you’re done serving it and it has cooled, you must put green bean casserole in the fridge.
How Long Does Green Bean Casserole Last?
In your fridge, green bean casserole will be good for 3 to 5 days.
Can You Freeze Green Bean Casserole?
You bet you can freeze it! Make sure you use an airtight container and you can keep it for 10 to 12 months.
How to Reheat Green Bean Casserole?
If it’s frozen, allow it to thaw in your fridge overnight. There’s no super-speedy way to reheat it as the oven is best. You’ll want to preheat to 350F and then bake it covered with foil for 45 minutes until it’s hot.
Classic Green Bean Casserole
- 2 10.5oz cans cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 1/4 cup crispy fried onions
- 3 14.5oz cans green beans drain
- 1 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large casserole baking dish or oven skillet, stir together the cream of mushroom soup and heavy cream. Then, add in the green beans, 1/4 cup crispy onions, and spices to the cream mixture. Sprinkle a top layer of cheddar cheese and and the remaining crispy fried onions and bake at 350F for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.
More green bean casserole recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.