Juicy and delicious burgers that are better for you? You bet! This turkey burger recipe is a treat my family loves. I used to hide it from them that it was ground turkey instead of beef but now they know and they don’t care. They all love it and cheer when I make turkey burgers for dinner.
Best Turkey Burger Recipe
Just like a regular beef burger, you don’t want to over-complicate a turkey burger. This recipe will show you how to make the best turkey burgers, one that you may even prefer to the usual beef variety!
Ingredients in Turkey Burgers
- Lean ground turkey – This is where it all begins in making those turkey burgers.
- Medium onion – Grating it distributes that onion juice and keeps big chunks from messing up the texture.
- Worcestershire sauce – This will add more of a beefy flavor to your turkey patty recipe so no one will realize you’re using turkey instead of beef. It also helps ensure you end up with juicy turkey burgers.
- Mayonnaise – Unites your turkey together while adding moisture.
- Ketchup – Like the mayo, but with a richer flavor to mimic the taste of beef.
- Salt and pepper – The only turkey burger seasoning you’ll need. Add to your preference.
Lets talk turkey!
Easy Turkey Burger Recipe
How would you like to have the best turkey burgers dinner done in just 20 minutes? Yup, you can do it with these homemade turkey burgers. They’re so simple. Once you get them ready, you can cook them in a skillet or go grill them if you prefer.
How do you Make Turkey Burgers from Scratch?
You’ll start by grating your onion into a small bowl. In a medium bowl, you’ll put the ground turkey, ketchup, mayo, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper. Then you’ll drop the onion in and mix it together by hand. Shape the patties so they’re about a half inch to three quarters of an inch thick. Then heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in your skillet on medium-high heat. Cook each patty about 5 minutes per side, then serve up with your choice of buns and toppings!
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Turkey Burger Every Time
- Buy quality lean ground turkey. The better the turkey, the better your ground turkey burgers will be.
- Don’t skip that mayo. Even if you hate mayo, I promise you won’t taste it here. This is what will keep your turkey burgers juicy and tasty.
- Get a food thermometer. Unlike beef, turkey needs to be cooked completely through. This way, you’ll know your turkey burgers are cooked enough without overcooking them and drying them out.
Is a turkey burger healthier than a hamburger?
Turkey has a lower saturated fat content over beef. This makes it a healthier choice than a typical beef burger.
How do you make turkey burger patties?
Turkey burger patties are so easy to make. Just follow this recipe and you’ll have them shaped and ready to cook in 10 minutes.
How to season turkey burgers?
When seasoning turkey burgers you will add your seasoning in the patty mix before making your turkey burger patties. This ensures the seasoning is well combined in each patty.
How do you doctor up a turkey burger?
The secret to doctoring up a turkey burger is adding in Worcestershire sauce. It creates an umami flavor that will surprise and delight.
How do you keep turkey burgers from falling apart?
Ground turkey is much leaner than even lean varieties of ground beef. For this reason, you must add some moisture to the meat. This is why this recipe includes ketchup and mayonnaise to moisten things up and bond the meat together.
How to Cook Turkey Burgers
These turkey burgers are cooked on the stove top. It’s so simple! You can also fire up your grill, but I think turkey burgers come out best in the skillet.
How do I cook turkey burgers all the way?
When cooking ground turkey burgers, you need to cook them over medium-high heat on the stove for 5 minutes per side. After 5 minutes on that second side, check with a meat thermometer to see if the turkey burger internal temp reads 165F.
How long does a turkey burger take to cook?
How long to cook turkey burgers will depend on the leanness of your meat. On average, tt takes 5 minutes per side to cook a turkey burger, or 10 minutes per patty.
How do you know when turkey burgers are cooked?
When cooking turkey burgers, you should check with your meat thermometer that the turkey burger temp reaches 165F to ensure it is completely cooked through.
How do I keep my turkey burger moist?
Don’t skip adding mayonnaise or ketchup to your turkey meat mixture. This will add robust flavor and keep your meat moist and juicy.
How do you keep ground turkey burgers moist?
I must emphasize the use of mayo and ketchup in the burgers. It helps bind them and add flavor without drying them out.
What is good on Turkey Burgers?
Lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, ketchup, and mustard are always favorites in my house. I like to set up a platter with toppings so my husband and kids can pick what they like and top their burgers. You can top it with avocado, cheese, fried eggs, onion rings, and really any toppings that you love.
How to Store Turkey Burgers?
Your turkey burgers should be kept in the fridge or freezer to keep them from spoiling.
How Long Do Turkey Burgers Last?
In your fridge, you can keep turkey burgers for about 2 to 3 days. Anything after this needs to be frozen to prevent wasting food.
Can You Freeze Turkey Burgers?
Yes! I like to make up extra patties and freeze them myself. They’ll be good this way for about 2 months.
How to Reheat Turkey Burgers?
It is best to reheat turkey burgers in the oven. When cooking burgers in the oven, 400F is a good turkey burger temperature for reheating quickly. Once it preheats, I use a metal rack on top of a baking sheet to catch the fat run-off. Cook them about 3 minutes and they’ll be perfect!
Watch How To Make Turkey Burgers (Video)
Classic Turkey Burger Recipe
- 2/3 medium onion
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (or olive, canola, oil)
- Optional toppings: onion, tomato, lettuce, pickles, ketchup, mustard
- First, grate the onion into a small bowl. In a medium bowl, add the turkey, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, salt and pepper. Add in the grated onion and mix well using your hands. Shape the turkey mixture into four patties that are between 1/2- 3/4 inch thick.
- Heat your 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet on medium-high. Cook the turkey patties for about 5 minutes per side. Serve on buns with desired toppings.
More turkey burger recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.