The comforting Italian classic chicken parmesan makes for a delicious family-friendly meal that’s on your table in just 45 minutes. Why wait to go out to eat when you can have this at home tonight? My husband and kids will often remind me when it’s been a while since I’ve made this baked chicken parmesan recipe. Yours will cluck their approval for it every time when you make it too!
Best Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Fresh ingredients, simple prep, and a little bit of hands-on time make this the best chicken parmesan recipe. It’s easy enough to make on a weeknight while elegant enough to entertain guests with. This is one recipe you’re going to want to hold onto!
Homemade Chicken Parmesan Ingredients
- Chicken breasts – Pick the freshest you can find for the best chicken parm taste.
- Breadcrumbs – What makes this classic chicken parmesan recipe amazing is using part panko and part Italian breadcrumbs.
- Eggs – Helps those breadcrumbs stay put.
- Grated parmesan – If possible, use fresh rather than the shelf-stable stuff.
- Minced garlic – A must in Italian cookery!
- Parmesan sauce – This is made with olive oil, onion, garlic, tomato puree, Italian seasoning, and just a touch of sugar, salt, and pepper. (*can substitute marinara sauce in a pinch)
- Fresh herbs – Parsley and basil make this parmesan sauce truly sing.
- Mozzarella – Because everything with cheese is more amazing!
Easy Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Don’t be scared off by the ingredients list. Yes, it looks lengthy, but it should be things you have in the kitchen. This simple chicken parmigiana recipe takes only 15 minutes to prep this dish and then with baking, it’s a full 45 minutes from start to finish.
There is nothing more romantic than Italian food.
How do you Make Chicken Parmesan from Scratch
This easy baked chicken parmesan recipe is more simple than you might think. You’ll first get the egg mixture prepared, dip your chicken into it and let it marinate. Then you make the breadcrumb mixture, placing the chicken into it to coat evenly. Fry each piece of chicken for 5 minutes per side, then move to a baking dish, top with tomato sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, and herbs. Bake it for 15 minutes until it’s bubbly and then it’s ready to serve.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Chicken Parmesan Every Time
- Use thin pieces of chicken. Don’t just take whole chicken breasts or your parmesan chicken breast will take much longer to cook.
- A rectangular dish is best for breadcrumbs. It fits the chicken better without making a big ol’ mess and makes it easy to make breaded chicken parmesan.
- Make sure the oil is hot. You can’t get the coating crispy if your oil isn’t hot enough and crispy chicken parmesan is the goal.
How to Cook Chicken Parmesan
Oven baked chicken parmesan requires partial stovetop and partial oven cooking to complete it. While it sounds like a lot of work, it’s really easy to get together. While your chicken parmesan is in the oven, you can get your sides ready.
Is there a difference between chicken parmesan and chicken parmigiana?
However you want to call it, it’s a chicken dish with crispy breaded chicken topped with tomato sauce and cheese. Both names mean the same thing.
How to bread chicken?
After you mix the egg mixture together and let the chicken sit in it, you’ll mix your breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder together. Then you’ll dip the chicken in, coating it evenly.
How do you keep breading on chicken parmesan?
In this quick and easy chicken parmesan recipe, the breading will stay on because you’ll be soaking it in the egg mixture. Also, you will want to be sure the oil in your pan is very hot before frying, which will help the coating stay on.
What can I use instead of breadcrumbs for chicken parmesan?
While this recipe calls for Italian breadcrumbs, you can use Panko breadcrumbs, crushed cornflakes, or rolled oats. If you are keto, you can use almond flour, crushed nuts, or keto bread crumbs. For gluten-free eaters, they make gluten-free breadcrumbs so you can safely enjoy this recipe.
How do you keep chicken parmesan from getting soggy?
Again, it’s all about the oil in keeping chicken parmesan from getting soggy. The oil should be shimmering which is how you’ll know it’s ready to make your chicken crispy.
Is Chicken Parmesan always served with pasta?
No, you can serve chicken parmesan with anything you like. Pasta is certainly most common, but you could also serve it on a bun for sandwiches or alongside garlic bread.
How do you keep chicken parmesan warm?
If everyone is taking too long to get to the table, simply cover it with foil and let it sit in the warm oven. This should keep it toasty until it’s time to serve.
How Long to Bake Chicken Parmesan
This baked chicken parmesan recipe will take about 15 minutes to bake in your oven.
What Goes Well with Chicken Parmesan?
I love serving pasta with my baked parmesan crusted chicken though a nice risotto would also work. Additionally, garden salad, sauteed spinach, or broccoli rabe is great for adding more veggies. And who could say no to garlic bread?
How to Store Chicken Parmesan
Chicken parmesan needs to be stored in the fridge or freezer. Once dinner is finished, be sure to wrap up your leftovers.
How Long Does Chicken Parmesan Last?
In your fridge, chicken parmesan will be good up to 5 days, though the sooner you eat it or freeze it, the better.
Can You Freeze Chicken Parmesan?
Yes, which is ideal if you want a perfectly prepped meal to trot out on a busy night. It will last about 3 months if you’ve wrapped it properly.
How to Reheat Chicken Parmesan?
Be sure to let it thaw in the fridge overnight, then heat at 350F for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Homemade Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 4 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 2 large chicken breasts (halved horizontally to make 4 filets)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs ((or flour))
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- black pepper
Chicken Parmesan Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 16 oz tomato puree
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp sugar
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
Chicken Parmesan Topping
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- fresh basil
- fresh parsley (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 425F and lightly grease a baking dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, making sure each filet is evenly coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate for at least 20 minutes or overnight.
- After the chicken has marinated, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder into another small bowl. Place each chicken filet into the breadcrumb mixture and make sure each side is coated evenly. In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat. Fry each chicken filet until golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes per side.
- Place the chicken in the greased baking dish and top each breast with about 1/3 cup of tomato sauce. Then top with about 2 tablespoons of mozzarella and 2 tablespoons of parmesan. Sprinkle with basil and parsley to taste.
- Bake the chicken for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the chicken is cooked through. Top with fresh basil and parsley and serve immediately.
More chicken parmesan recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.