My family loves traditional chili, but they have a hard time deciding their favorite between beef chili and this creamy white chicken chili recipe in a crockpot. If you don’t have ground beef and want a satisfying chili-type of meal, this is going to be your go-to slow cooker white chicken chili recipe that is super easy!
Best White Chicken Chili Recipe
Fresh ingredients come together with your pantry staples to make the best white chicken chili recipe ever. It’s creamy, hearty, and full of delicious flavors that everyone loves. White chili recipe leftovers are even more amazing as all the flavors mesh together!
Crockpot White Chicken Chili Ingredients
- Chicken breasts – Use the boneless, skinless variety.
- Yellow onion – Adds a savory taste.
- Garlic – Mince it fresh for another layer of flavor.
- Great northern beans – You’ll need 2 cans of these for your white bean chili recipe.
- Hot diced green chilies – Straight from the can and into your chili!
- Corn – Canned corn is the perfect addition here.
- Chicken stock – For the broth.
- Lime juice – Adds that southwest flair.
- Heavy whipping cream – To thicken it with a rich and creamy texture.
- Cream cheese – Adds more creamy richness to this cream cheese chicken chili.
- White chicken chili seasoning – You’ll need a mix of spices including salt, black pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder, cayenne powder, and onion powder.
- Toppings – You can set out an array of sliced jalapenos, avocado, cilantro, sour cream, tortilla strips, and Mexican blend shredded cheese to let everyone top it the way they want it!
Easy White Chicken Chili Recipe
Do you have 15 minutes? Then make this easy white chicken chili recipe! The slow cooker takes over after that and there is minimal effort on your part to create this satisfying and wholesome meal for your family.
Get your chili on!
How do you Make White Chicken Chili in a Crockpot from Scratch?
Making this white chicken chili crockpot recipe is simple because the slow cooker does all the work. While there are many ingredients crockpot chicken chili, all you need to do is add the chicken breasts into your crockpot and top with the seasonings. Then add the onion, garlic, beans, chili, corn, chicken broth, and fresh cilantro. Stir to evenly coat the chicken and cook on low for 8 hours or for 4 hours on high. When the chicken is fully cooked, take it out and shred it, then add it back in along with the cream cheese and heavy whipping cream. Stir until it’s well mixed, then let it get hot (about 20-30 minutes) and serve with your favorite toppings.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect White Chicken Chili Every Time
- Yes, you can use rotisserie chicken. If you don’t have raw chicken breasts, your rotisserie chicken will work here. However, you’ll want to add it at the end of the cook time if you do.
- Make it creamier. You can use your immersion blender to puree the beans a bit and give your slow cooker chicken chili a thicker, creamier texture.
- Adjust the spice your way. If you like your white bean chicken chili recipe spicy, feel free to add more chili powder and cayenne pepper.
What is white chili made of?
This white chicken chili recipe is made with chicken, chicken stock, corn, onion, garlic, chilis, heavy cream, cream cheese, lime juice, cilantro, and an array of southwestern style seasonings like cumin, chili powder, and oregano.
What’s the difference between white chili and regular chili?
The biggest difference is the color. Regular chili has a tomato base and dark beans while white chili uses white beans, heavy cream, and cream cheese for a lighter color. Additionally, regular chili tends to include ground beef while white chili includes chicken breast.
Is chili better in a slow cooker?
It tends to be better when slow cooked because it allows all the flavors to fully come together. Plus, there’s less work for you to do since the slow cooker handles it all.
Is white chicken chili supposed to be thick?
Yes, it should be thick though you can make the consistency the way you want it with ease. Following this recipe will give you nice, thick, and rich white chili.
What are the seasonings for white chili?
White chili uses salt, black pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and onion powder as the seasonings.
Are great northern beans the same as white chili beans?
Great northern beans tend to be what is used in white chili. They are larger than navy beans yet smaller than cannellini beans. If you can’t find great northern beans, using navy beans or cannellini beans will work out just fine.
How to cook white chicken chili?
White chicken chili is cooked in your crockpot. Yes, you can do it on the stove-top too, though it is so easy to do in the slow cooker and has less mess too!
How long to cook white chicken chili?
If you’re using the low setting on your slow cooker, set it for 8 hours. If you’re using the high setting, set it for 4 hours.
How do I thicken white chicken chili?
It should be plenty thick if you follow this recipe thanks to the heavy cream and cream cheese. However, you can use an immersion blender on the beans before adding them in to give it a thicker consistency.
How do you thicken white bean chicken chili?
With the heavy cream and cream cheese, this recipe will thicken up nicely. However, you can puree the beans first and this will make the base of the chili thicker.
What goes well with white chicken chili?
I love cornbread with this white chicken chili. It’s also great with an avocado and tomato salad, fries, and fried green tomatoes. It’s very filling so rounding it out with lighter sides is a perfect match.
How to store white chicken chili?
You’ll need to let your white chicken chili cool before you stow it in the fridge. Use a quality airtight container for this.
How long is white chicken chili good for in the fridge?
In your fridge, you’ll have about 3 or 4 days to use up your white chicken chili. If you’re getting to the end of that time-frame, put it in the freezer for the perfect meal prep meal!
Can you freeze white chicken chili?
It is one of the most perfect things to freeze! White chicken chili will be there for you when you don’t feel like cooking. Keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat white chicken chili?
If frozen, let it thaw in your fridge overnight. From there, warm it up on the stove-top until it’s heated through. Then serve with your favorite toppings.
Watch How To Make White Chicken Chili (Video)
Classic White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder (adjust for spice preference)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 3 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 2 15oz cans great Northern beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 4oz cans hot diced green chilies
- 1 15oz can corn
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped, plus more for garnish)
- 24oz chicken stock
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz cream cheese
White Chicken Chili Toppings
- sour cream
- tortilla strips
- Mexican blend shredded cheese
- To the bottom of a crockpot, add the chicken breasts and top with the seasonings. Top the chicken breast and seasonings with the onion, garlic, beans, chili, corn, chicken broth, and cilantro. Stir so that the chicken is evenly coated. Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours (or on high for 4 hours).
- Once the chicken is fully cooked through, remove and shred, then place back in the slow cooker. Add the cream cheese and heavy whipping cream and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Serve hot with preferred toppings
More chili recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.