Sometimes, the best thing you can serve at your own party or bring to a potluck is this fresh fruit salad recipe. But don’t buy it ready-made from the store in the produce section or worse, a can! It’s so easy to make one fresh, one that everyone will love helping themselves to in heaping portions for a simple and delicious dessert that refreshes.
Best Fruit Salad Recipe
No cans of fruit cocktail here! This is the best fruit salad recipe with fresh fruits and a sweet and zesty honey lime dressing that helps bring out the flavors while keeping things from turning brown.
Easy Fruit Salad Recipe
This easy fruit salad recipe comes together in a flash with fresh fruits. My kids love to help with this one. It’s perfect for picnics, backyard barbecues, or even during the holiday season when you want to add a healthy option to go with all those indulgent foods.
Homemade Fruit Salad Ingredients
- Strawberries – Use fresh ones and chop them up.
- Pineapple – No cans! Get it fresh and chop it.
- Blueberries – No need to do anything but add these in.
- Red grapes – Choose seedless for the easiest enjoyment and slice them in half.
- Cantaloupe – You can chop it or use your melon baller.
- Kiwis – For a rainbow of color. Don’t forget to chop them!
- Mandarin oranges – These are sweeter, tend to have no seeds, and are naturally more bite-sized.
- Honey-lime fruit salad dressing recipe – You’ll make this with honey, fresh lime juice, and lime zest.
How do you Make Fruit Salad from Scratch?
This fruit bowl recipe is super easy to put together and everyone loves it. You’ll whisk together the dressing first in a small bowl. Then you’ll chop all the fruits that need to be chopped down into bite-sized pieces and put in a large bowl. Pour on the dressing and coat, then chill until serving or serve it immediately.
Eat well and feel swell.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Fruit Salad Every Time
- Always choose fresh fruits. Canned or frozen fruits will change the way this fruit salad tastes.
- Use seedless grapes. Yes, you can use green grapes instead if that’s all you can find. But regardless, seedless is best so you don’t have guests spitting seeds out all over.
- Replace or omit as you see fit. This simple fruit salad recipe is easy to substitute. If you don’t like one of these fruits or you can’t find it, it’s ok to replace it or leave it out.
What are the main ingredients to make fruit salad?
Fresh fruit and a honey-lime dressing are the main ingredients. If you can’t find it fresh by you, it’s ok to use seasonal fruits that you find fresh to replace anything in this homemade fruit salad.
What does fruit salad contain?
This summer fruit salad recipe contains fresh strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, red grapes, cantaloupe, kiwi, and mandarin oranges with a honey lime dressing.
How do you make simple fruit salad?
Just follow this recipe! Fresh fruit is what makes it so delicious. With all these different colors of the rainbow, everyone will want to dig in!
What are the best fruit combinations?
Taking fruits from the different colors of the rainbow makes for the best fruit combinations. You have red strawberries, blueberries, yellow pineapple, orange cantaloupe and mandarins, purple grapes, and green kiwis.
What is fruit salad dressing made of?
This fruit salad dressing is made from honey, fresh lime juice, and lime zest.
How do you make a fruit salad better?
Use fresh seasonal fruit! If you use anything frozen or canned, your fruit salad won’t be as delicious.
How do you keep fruit salad from getting soggy?
Putting it in an airtight container controls the humidity and helps keep your fruits from getting gross and soggy.
What can I put in my fruit salad to keep it fresh?
The honey-lime dressing will help keep it fresh, though it will taste the best the sooner you eat it after making it.
How do you keep fruit salad from turning brown?
The lime in the dressing will help keep your cut fruits from turning brown. Also, the pineapple enzymes will prevent this problem too.
Does lemon juice keep fruit salad fresh?
Yes, you can use lemon juice to keep fruit salad fresh. However with this recipe, the fresh lime juice in the dressing serves that purpose so you’ll have a sweet, tangy, and absolutely irresistible fruit salad for any occasion!
What goes well with Fruit Salad?
Grilled chicken salad or a dish with chicken and pineapple is a nice start before your fruit salad. I often serve this at barbecues, potlucks, and picnics because it cuts through the richness of the other things I serve from burgers to ribs or roasts.
How to Store Fruit Salad?
Fruit salad needs to be kept in an airtight container in the fridge to keep it at its freshest.
How Long Does Fruit Salad Last?
Your fruit salad will have the best taste if you eat it within 3 days, but you can keep it in the fridge up to 5 days.
Can You Freeze Fruit Salad?
Yes! But you should only freeze it for up to 2 weeks and make sure the dressing is on it first.
How to Thaw Fruit Salad?
Your best bet is to take it out the day before and let it thaw overnight in your fridge. However, you can let it thaw on the counter as long as you don’t let it completely thaw there.
Watch How To Make Fruit Salad (Video)
Classic Fruit Salad Recipe
- 1 lb fresh strawberries (chopped)
- 1 1/4 lb fresh pineapple (chopped)
- 12 oz blueberries
- 12 oz red grapes (sliced in half)
- 12 oz cantaloupe (chopped)
- 4 kiwis (chopped)
- 4 mandarin oranges (chopped)
Honey Lime Dressing
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the honey lime dressing and set aside.
- Chop all fruit into small bite-sized pieces and add the prepared fruit to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the fruit and toss to evenly coat. Serve immediately. Chill in refrigerator.
More fruit salad recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.