Sometimes when I want to make a simple treat for the family, I whip up this moist pound cake recipe. It’s buttery and vanilla-y with that dense and moist texture that everyone loves about pound cake. I make mine in a Bundt pan for an extra pretty way to impress without any extra effort!
Best Pound Cake Recipe
I remember buying pound cake from the bakery for every little gathering. But when I realized there were more ingredients in those than there needed to be, usually artificial ones, I got wise and started making homemade pound cake myself. Now I feel great about serving this treat knowing it’s made with simple ingredients and a whole lot of love.
Pound Cake Ingredients
- Unsalted butter – You want to soften it up to make it easier to work with.
- Sugar – Choose granulated sugar, which will give your pound cake the proper sweetness.
- Eggs – Oh boy are you going to need a bunch of these! You’ll need 6 large eggs plus an additional 6 large egg yolks. This gives the pound cake that luscious yellowy hue.
- Vanilla extract – Adds that sweet and lovely rich flavor to your vanilla pound cake recipe.
- Salt – All for balance.
- All-purpose flour – The perfect flour to make your pound cake!
Easy Pound Cake Recipe
If you have 30 minutes, then you can get your pound cake ready. This easy pound cake recipe requires only 6 ingredients that you likely have right now in your kitchen. So why sit here and keep reading this? Go to the kitchen and make moist pound cake now!
In case you didn’t know, March 4th is national pound cake day. Plan early 🙂
How do you Make Pound Cake from Scratch?
When making this old fashioned pound cake recipe you’ll start by greasing your Bundt pan with both shortening and then flower. Preheat the oven to 350F and get busy beating butter until it’s creamy. Scrape down the sides, then add the sugar and beat it with the butter until it’s thoroughly combined. Meanwhile, add the eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and salt in another bowl using a whisk. Then take this mixture and slowly add it to your mixer on low into the sugar/butter mixture. Once fully combined, you’ll pour the batter into the Bundt pan and bake for an hour plus 10 to 20 minutes. When it’s ready, let it cool for about 20 to 25 minutes before removing from the pan and letting it cool fully.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Traditional Pound Cake
- Sifting the flour helps. When baking, this simple step can ensure a smoother texture.
- Add the egg mixture slowly. Don’t just dump it in and combine. Take the time to slowly add it in to the butter pound cake recipe batter and use the mixer on low to incorporate it.
- Scrape down. This ensures you get everything combined and doesn’t leave residual ingredients on the sides.
- Use a knife to loosen the cake. When the cake has cooled, use a butter knife to help you get the cake out of the pound cake pan. You’ll then want to let it cool further from there on a rack.
What’s the difference between pound cake and regular cake?
Pound cake is a bit richer and denser. It originally got its name because in the olden days, it was made with a pound of each one of the main ingredients. Also, it does not contain baking powder, something regular cake has.
What does a pound cake taste like?
Pound cake tastes like butter, sugar, and vanilla much like a classic yellow cake but it is more moist, tender, and dense in texture, making it a beloved dessert.
What is the best flour to use for a pound cake?
All-purpose flour works beautifully for pound cake. And that’s good news since it’s highly likely you already have that in your pantry.
Is cake flour better for pound cake?
Not necessarily. All-purpose flour is perfect for pound cake. Using cake flour will render a slightly different texture.
Why does my pound cake crack on top?
The tops of pound cakes tend to crack from the dense batter. The outside cooks first in a loaf pan so using the Bundt pan helps distribute the batter better and lets it cook more evenly.
How do you make pound cake moist?
Pound cake tends to be a dense type of cake. It has a lot of moisture as there is a lot of eggs and butter in the batter. As long as you do not over-bake the cake it should come out moist every time.
How to Cook Pound Cake
Pound cake requires an electric mixer and an oven to bake it in. You can of course mix by hand but it will take a LONG time so pull out that mixer and make short work of it!
How Long to Bake Pound Cake?
At 350F, your pound cake will need to bake for about an hour and 20 minutes.
How do you fix a dry pound cake?
You can always add a frosting or sauce, but if you want to enjoy the pound cake plain, you can put a damp pamper towel on the glass plate of your microwave, then put the cake on top and heat at medium for about 10 seconds. Check it each time and keep using 10-second intervals until it feels moist.
Why is my pound cake wet in the middle?
If your cake is moist in the middle it is usually because 1 of 3 reasons: First, the oven did not heat up evenly. Second, you are using the incorrect baking pan. Third, you need to bake the cake longer.
What goes well with Pound Cake?
Fresh berries and whipped cream are perfection with pound cake, though feel free to trot out butter with honey and jam, ice cream, or even dust it with powdered sugar. If you really want to indulge, offer guests a drizzle of hot fudge to pour over their slice.
How to Store Pound Cake
Pound cake can be kept at room temperature as long as you cover it in an airtight container. You can also refrigerate it to keep it longer though it will tamper with the texture and flavor.
How Long Does Pound Cake Last?
On your counter, you can enjoy pound cake for 4 to 5 days. It should last a week or slightly longer in the fridge.
Can You Freeze Pound Cake?
Yes! The last time I made too much anticipating more guests. So I wrapped it well and stowed it in our freezer. I’ve taken it out to surprise my family with later, but you can keep yours in the freezer for about 4 to 6 months.
How to Reheat Pound Cake
If you want your pound cake warmed, put it in the oven while the oven is cold and set to 250F, then bake for about 8 to 15 minutes which will moisten up the cake and warm it.
Watch How To Make Pound Cake (Video)
Classic Pound Cake Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- First, prepare your baking pan. Grease a 12 cup bundt pan generously with shortening and flour. To make things easier, you can also easily use Baker’s Joy nonstick cooking spray for baking. Set aside and preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, add your butter and beat until creamy with an electric mixer. Once the butter has reached a creamy and smooth consistency, be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl, the add in the sugar. Beat the sugar and butter together until thoroughly combined, about 1-2 minutes and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add together the eggs, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and salt. Use a fork or whisk to beat the eggs and yolks together and ensure that the salt and vanilla are evenly mixed in. With an electric mixer on low, slowly begin to add your egg mixture into your sugar and butter mixture. Allow the egg mixture to be fully incorporated into the batter before continuing to add more of the egg mixture. Once the egg mixture has been thoroughly combined, scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat the batter on medium high for about 2-3minutes. Reduce the electric mixer back to low, then slowly add in the flour, continuing to scrape down the sides of the bowl until all of the flour has been incorporated. Stir the entire mixture on medium-speed and beat for an additional minute. Pour the batter into your greased 12 cup bundt cake pan.
- Bake the cake for about an hour and 10-20 minutes. Use a wooden skewer and insert into the thickest part of the cake to determine doneness. Once baked, all the cake to cool for at least 20-25 minutes. Once the cake has cooled, insert a knife around the sides of the pan. Place the cake on a cooling rack and continue to allow to cool. Once cooled completely, slice and serve with fresh berries and whipped cream.
More pound cake recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.