When you like your steak medium well, where do you go? Well, instead of going to that steakhouse and spending a fortune, you can go right to your kitchen to make the perfect medium well steak recipe!
Best Medium Well Steak Recipe
Quality meat and simple seasonings are what make this the best medium well steak recipe. Cooked to your perfect ideal of doneness, everyone loves it when I tell them I’m making steaks for dinner.
Easy Pan Seared Steak Recipe
In less time than it takes to get jazzed up to head to that nice steakhouse, you can serve a fine steak dinner. Just a few ingredients and these tips below will help you achieve medium well steak temp perfection!
Medium Well Steak Dinner Ingredients
- New York strip steak – I’ve found that 1-inch thickness is a good size. Not sure at the supermarket? You can ask at the meat counter or go to a butcher shop.
- Garlic – Keep the cloves whole but remember to peel them.
- Fresh herbs – Sage, thyme, and rosemary are the way to go.
- Butter – Make sure this is unsalted or your steaks will be too salty!
- Oil – Choose a high smoking point oil, like vegetable oil.
- Salt and black pepper – You’re going to generously season both sides of your steaks with these seasonings.
How do you Cook Pan Seared Steak Medium Well Temp?
Take a moment to pat dry your steaks and add the salt and pepper to both sides. Heat a cast iron skillet with oil over medium-high. When that oil is hot, add the steaks, searing each side for 4 to 5 minutes as well as taking a minute or two to sear the edges. Lower the heat to medium and put the butter, herbs, and garlic in, bathing the steaks with this lovely sauce constantly. They’ll be ready when they have reached the correct internal temp for medium well steak of 140F. Remove them and cover them to rest so they come to the perfect medium well steak temperature of 150F.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Steak Every Time
- Bring the meat to room temperature. Steaks always cook better when they have lost that refrigerated chill.
- Get the best. Steaks are simple and require little to make them tasty. That said, don’t skimp on quality here.
- Go for heat. That skillet should be smoking before you even think of adding your steaks.
- Resist temptation. You may want to cut right into those steaks but don’t! They need time to rest. If you slice too soon, they will come out tough and dry.
What temp is medium well?
Steak at a medium well temperature has an internal temperature of 150F.
How long do I cook a steak for medium well?
For each side, spend 4 to 5 minutes cooking it. Don’t forget that the steak will continue cooking as it rests. So take it off of the heat a bit early to allow the temperature for medium well steak rise to 150F internally.
How long do you cook a 1-inch thick steak to medium well?
Per side, you must cook a New York strip for 4 to 5 minutes to get it medium well.
How do you cook a 1 inch steak medium well?
This recipe gives you the full details, but you’ll get your skillet hot and sear the steak on each side for up to 5 minutes per side.
How do you grill a 1-inch steak to medium well temp?
You’ll grill them on one side for 4 to 5 minutes, then the other for about 8 to 10 minutes to get to that medium well temperature.
How to Cook Medium Well Steak in a Pan?
This recipe helps you achieve steak perfection in a pan. You’ll need to get the pan hot enough and add the steaks, cooking until they’re done.
How long does it take to cook a steak medium well in a pan?
It will take about 10 to 12 minutes total to cook your steak medium well in a pan on your stovetop.
How to Cook Medium Well Steak in the Oven?
For oven-cooked steak, you’ll set the temperature to 450F and as it preheats, put the cast iron skillet in with it. Then use that skillet to sear the steaks before shoving them into the oven, about 10 to 12 minutes total with a flip of the sides in the middle. It should be when it reaches the correct medium well internal temp for steak at 150F internally when ready.
How to cook steak in oven to medium well?
The oven should be put on a high temperature like 450F and your cast iron skillet should be heated in there. You’ll briefly sear the steaks on the stovetop in that skillet and put it all in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, taking care to flip the steaks halfway through the cooking time.
What goes well with Steak?
Perhaps a better question would be what doesn’t go with steak, but hey, you can pair it with any side you love. Traditional steakhouse sides are always wonderful like sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, creamed spinach, sauteed asparagus or brussels sprouts, green beans, corn on the cob, garlic bread, or baked beans.
How to Store Steak?
You can’t leave steak out too long. After 2 hours, it will develop bacteria so wrap it up and put it in the fridge.
How Long Does Steak Last?
The sooner you eat your steak leftovers, the better they will be. You can safely eat steak from the fridge for the next 3 to 5 days.
Can You Freeze Steak?
Have you outsteaked yourself? Put them in the freezer for up to 6 months, though they will be best if you make sure you’ve enjoyed them before 4 months have passed.
How to Reheat Steak Without Overcooking It?
In the oven at a low temperature is the best way to heat your steaks again. Preheat to 275F and set a wire rack onto a baking sheet, then put the steak on top. With this method, you will have it ready in 25 minutes.
Looking for instructions for different internal steak temperatures? See below for a list of steak temps:
See below for the steak cooking chart of different meat temperatures. Cook your steak according to the times below to reach your desired steak cooking temp whether its the standard medium steak internal temp or my personal favorite of medium rare. Steak cooking times will vary depending on your method of cooking at your desired temperature.
Steak Cooking Chart
~Perfect Steak Temperature Chart~
|Internal Temperature||Center Color
|Rare Steak||Cool red center||125°F / 51.6°C|
|Medium Rare Steak||Pinkish-red center||135°F / 57.2°C|
|Medium Steak||Pink center||145°F / 63°C|
|Medium Well Steak||Barely pink||150°F / 65.5°C|
|Well Steak||Brown color throughout||160°F / 71.1°C|
Watch How To Cook Steak Medium Well (Video)
The Perfect Medium Well Steak Recipe
- 1 lbs New York strip steak
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (or any oil with a high smoke point)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled and quartered)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- Pat each steak dry with paper towels and liberally season each side of the steak with salt and pepper, or to taste.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat ½ to 1tbsp of vegetable oil on medium high heat, ensuring it coats the entire pan. Once the oil is hot, transfer your steaks to the skillet .Sear the steaks on each side for about 3-4 minutes each, or until a brown crust has formed. Use tongs to render the white fat along the sides of the steak and sear the edges, for about 1-2 minutes per side. Reduce the heat from medium-high to medium and add in the butter, garlic, and herbs. Continuously spoon the butter sauce over the steaks. Continue to baste the steaks until they are about 10 degrees away from your desired temperature (they will continue to cook while they rest). For medium steak, the correct temperature is 150°F. So you can remove the steak when it reaches about 140°F and let it rest.
- Once the steaks have reached their desired temperature, transfer them to a cutting board and loosely cover with aluminum foil. Allow the steak to rest 10 minutes before slicing. Slice the steak into ½ to 1 inch thick strips to serve. Serve with extra butter sauce.
More steak recipes and resources:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.