Snuggle up to a bowlful of loaded potato goodness with this easy homemade crockpot potato soup recipe! My whole family loves it to go with sandwiches or start off a steak dinner. It’s so filling too that if you want a light meal that fills you up and makes your belly happy, this is what you should make.
The Best Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe
Before I had my family, I would buy those cans of potato soup. But you’ll never go back to those because once you have the best crockpot potato soup, your taste buds will never forgive you if you eat another canned version. Fresh ingredients make for a wholesome soup that requires minimal effort on your part for a delicious finish!
Crockpot Loaded Potato Soup Ingredients
- Potatoes – Obviously! But I recommend the Yukon gold potatoes peeled down and diced up into 1-inch chunks in this loaded baked potato soup.
- Yellow onion – Chop that baby up!
- Minced garlic – Feel free to add a little more for a really garlicky experience.
- Chicken stock – Helps create the soup base.
- Butter – Choose salted for this soup adventure.
- Half and half – Gives the cream of potato soup that creamy, rich texture.
- All-purpose flour – To make a roux that will thicken it up. Use gluten-free flour if you like too!
- Bacon bits – Chop these up and let them spread through the soup.
- Chili powder – Just a hint of a kick!
- Sour cream – Because we all need that tang.
- Salt and pepper – To season as you like.
- Optional garnishes – I should make these mandatory because the soup is even more amazing with them, but feel free to experiment with shredded cheddar, more bacon bits, chives, and extra sour cream.
Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup Recipe
Thanks to your slow cooker, this loaded potato soup is even easier to make. You just have to prep the ingredients and dump them in, then enjoy it all at the end. Everyone loves this easy potato soup recipe and it’s perfect for those cold days to warm you right down to your core!
Never underestimate a woman with a crockpot.
How do you Make Potato Soup from Scratch in a Crockpot?
When making baked potato soup in a crockpot, start by filling your crockpot with the chopped potatoes, onion, garlic, bacon, chili powder, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Set it on high for 6 to 8 hours. The potatoes should be fork-tender, though 30 minutes before you serve it, make a roux with the butter, flour, and half and half in a nonstick skillet. Whisk this until smooth, about 3 to 4 minutes, then add it to your slow cooker along with the sour cream. Take your immersion blender and combine it all together in a smooth and creamy texture. Serve when ready and top it the way you like it!
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Slow Cooker Potato Soup Every Time
- Pop your potato cubes in cold water. As you’re getting everything ready, those potato cubes can turn an ugly brown color so have a bowl of cold water waiting for them and you’ll avoid that mess. Add the potatoes into this water immediately after cubing each one.
- Salt to taste. Potatoes soak up salt and as such, what you think is enough salt may not be enough. It’s fine to add more salt at the end to taste.
- Never add dairy at the start. When using your slow cooker, the sour cream and other dairy can scorch in there if you add them from the beginning. These things should always be ended in the last 30 minutes.
- Yes, you can make this baked potato soup gluten-free. Just use gluten-free all-purpose flour!
- No immersion blender? Use a potato masher or you can blend it in stages in your blender.
What potato is best for soup?
Yukon gold potatoes are the best for homemade potato soup. They don’t have as grainy a texture as other potatoes and they blend beautifully for a creamy feel.
Should you peel potatoes for potato soup?
Yukon gold potatoes have a great skin, but that texture can get in the way of this creamy soup. So, peel them up first before chopping them.
Should I soak my potatoes before making soup?
You don’t have to soak them, but I do recommend doing so in cold water at least until you’ve finished cubing all the potatoes. This will keep them from turning brown and ugly.
Can you put raw potatoes in a slow cooker?
Yes, of course you can put raw potatoes into your slow cooker. They will cook up perfectly while in there.
How to Cook Potato Soup in a Crockpot?
Simply chop up your ingredients and add everything except the sour cream, garnishes, and roux ingredients into it. Then set it to cook on high for 6 to 8 hours! Easy-peasy!
Do potatoes need liquid in crock pot?
For this soup they do which is why you will use the chicken stock. It also helps serve as the base of the soup and gives it enough liquid to blend together at the end with the dairy using your immersion blender.
What can I add to potato soup to thicken it?
In this recipe, I use a roux made with butter, all-purpose flour, and half and half. This will be added to the crockpot in the last 30 minutes before serving to thicken it up.
Will heavy cream thicken potato soup?
Absolutely! This recipe uses half and half which serves the same purpose while making a roux to give it a lovely, thick and rich texture.
How do I spice up bland potato soup?
Aside from salt and pepper, a little chili powder does wonders for adding another layer of flavor. Also, adding bacon and garlic tend to liven the soup up.
What goes with potato soup?
A big Caesar salad or almost any type of sandwich goes great with potato soup. You could also do chicken legs or breast, brussels sprouts, cornbread, or dinner rolls. This soup is very filling so you won’t need much to make it a full meal.
How to Store Potato Soup?
After it cools, potato soup needs to be stored in the refrigerator.
How Long Does Potato Soup Last?
In your fridge, you’ll have about 3 to 4 days to finish off this delicious potato soup.
Can You Freeze Potato Soup?
As wonderful as potato soup is, it doesn’t freeze very well. Potatoes tend to become grainy when they defrost plus with the dairy, it separates and loses that creamy texture. It’s best to only make what you can feasibly eat within 3 to 4 days.
How to Reheat Potato Soup?
Simply put it in a pot on your stove and gently warm it through. Then serve it with your favorite garnishes!
Watch How To Make Potato Soup in a Crockpot (Video)
Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes (peeled and diced into 1" chunks)
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup bacon bits (chopped)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp butter (salted)
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese, chives, bacon bits, sour cream (Optional garnishes)
- In a large crock pot add chopped Yukon gold potatoes, onion, garlic, chopped bacon, chili powder, salt, pepper, chicken stock and simmer on high heat for 6-8 hours or until potatoes are fork tender.
- About 30 minutes before serving time, add butter, flour, and half and half to a nonstick skillet to cook the roux for the soup at medium heat. Whisk until smooth for 3-4 minutes. Add the roux into the slow cooker as well as the sour cream.
- Use an immersion blender to combine everything thoroughly and the soup is smooth and creamy and at desired consistency.
- Serve hot and top with sour cream, bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, and green onions.
More crockpot soup recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.