This sweet potato casserole recipe is a classic for any holiday celebration. It’s definitely the one my kids and husband pile onto their plates during our gatherings. If you’ve never tried sweet potato and marshmallow together then you’re in for a real treat. And because it’s made with wholesome, fresh and fun ingredients, you can feel good about serving this candied yams with marshmallows holiday casserole which is a staple for any family celebration.
Best Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Kiss those cans goodbye. Instead, say hello to the best sweet potato casserole recipe ever. It’s filled with fresh sweet potatoes and crunchy pecans along with those melty marshmallows that make this yam casserole such a blissful item to discover during the holidays.
Sweet Potato Casserole Ingredients
- Sweet potatoes – You’ll use fresh ones, peeling and cubing them first before getting started.
- Unsalted butter – Let it soften up to room temperature.
- Brown sugar – Make sure you pack it well into the measuring cup for precision measurement.
- Pecans – A sweet potato casserole with pecans adds the perfect crunchy texture. Chopped for even distribution.
- Marshmallows – Yams with marshmallows are a pairing dream. You can use the mini ones or the big ones, whatever you prefer.
- Sweet Potato Casserole Seasonings – Cinnamon, nutmeg, a pinch of salt, and vanilla extract are all needed to give this holiday baked sweet potato casserole the proper balance of flavor.
What do you call a stolen Yam? A hot potato.
Easy Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
This sweet potato casserole with marshmallow is full of complex flavors but is so easy to make. It takes 25 minutes to prep, mostly because of preparing the sweet potatoes and then the rest of it is baking time. Your whole home will smell amazing too!
How do you Make Sweet Potato Casserole from Scratch
Heat your oven to 350F and get a 9×13 baking dish ready. Then boil sweet potatoes in a large pot for about 15 to 20 minutes so they’re fork-tender. Drain them, then mash the potatoes into a glass mixing bowl with the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, vanilla, and pinch of salt. Add in half a cup of pecans and mix, then spread this mixture into your baking dish. Top with the remaining pecans and then the marshmallows, then bake for 25 to 30 minutes until your marshmallows are a lovely golden brown.
Expert Tips for the Perfect Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- You can swap out the nuts. If you have a nut allergy or you just don’t like pecans, you can omit them. Or if everyone is fine eating nuts, you can also use walnuts if you’d prefer them over pecans.
- Add less sugar if you like. While the brown sugar measured in this sweet potato marshmallow recipe adds just enough sweetness, you can make it a little less if you like, especially since those marshmallows will continue the sweetness for you.
- Or add more marshmallows. What is the perfect sweet potato marshmallow ratio? Some families love loads of marshmallows. Who am I to judge? Add more if you like!
Are yams and sweet potatoes the same?
Here in America, we tend to interchange these two terms even though they are different veggies. Yams have a rough brown outside and a starchy interior while sweet potatoes have a reddish skin and a more creamy inside.
What’s the difference between yams and sweet potato casserole?
A sweet potato casserole will be sweeter because of the nature of this root vegetable. You’ll want to be sure you’re buying sweet potatoes from your produce section.
Why are there eggs in sweet potato casserole?
Some recipes for sweet potato casserole use egg to bind it. However, this recipe does not use any eggs making it perfect for anyone that doesn’t eat eggs.
Should I put eggs in my sweet potato casserole?
That’s up to you. There are no eggs in this recipe and it comes out just as rich and delightful as any other.
Can you substitute canned sweet potatoes for fresh?
Yes, you can go for canned though if you do, you will not need to boil them first. It’s always best to use fresh though because nothing beats that flavor.
Can you make sweet potato casserole the day before?
Save yourself some time on the holidays by making this sweet potato casserole the day before. You’ll only need to warm it up and serve it!
Why do you put marshmallows on sweet potatoes?
You can thank clever marketing tactics from the early 1900s. They were looking to promote marshmallows as an everyday ingredient rather than just some sweet treat.
How to Cook Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet potato casserole starts with preparing the sweet potatoes on the stove top and baking them with the other ingredients in your oven for a casserole everyone will want more of!
How Long to Bake Sweet Potato Casserole?
At 350F, you’ll want to bake your sweet potato casserole for 25 to 30 minutes.
How do you know when sweet potato casserole is done?
After cooking it at 350F for about 25 to 30 minutes, it will be done. You’ll see the marshmallows are lightly browned and the center of your casserole will be firm and set.
How do you thicken sweet potato casserole?
It should be plenty thick with this recipe though please mind how long you boil the potatoes for. Not only should they be cut equally but they should also not be overcooked because they can absorb water and hence water down your casserole.
What goes well with Sweet Potato Casserole?
Sweet potato casserole is ideal for holiday meals or special occasions so serve it with a roast, turkey, or ham along with green veggies, dinner rolls, and all the other family-style delights.
How to Store Sweet Potato Casserole?
Once it cools, sweet potato casserole needs to be covered properly and stowed in the refrigerator.
How Long Does Sweet Potato Casserole Last?
In your fridge, you can keep enjoying your homemade sweet potato casserole for on up to 5 days.
Can You Freeze Sweet Potato Casserole?
Absolutely! Sweet potato casserole freezes so well and you can keep it stored in your freezer for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat Sweet Potato Casserole?
Simply preheat your oven to 300F and cover your sweet potato casserole with foil so the marshmallows on top don’t burn. Bake it for 15 minutes and it should be warmed up nicely.
Watch How To Make NAME (Video)
Homemade Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 3 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pecans (chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups marshmallows (miniature or regular to your preference)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large pot, boil the sweet potatoes for about 15-20 minutes until fork tender and then drain.
- In a large glass mixing bowl, mash the potatoes along with the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, vanilla, and pinch of salt. Add in half a cup of the pecans and mix thoroughly. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining pecans and marshmallows on top of the baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown.
More sweet potato recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.