Nothing beats a classic old fashioned pecan pie recipe like this. It’s the kind that everyone gobbles up around Thanksgiving and then comes back for more until the entire pie tin is left with barely a crumb. I’m always asked to make this family favorite homemade pecan pie every holiday season, and soon, so will you!
Best Pecan Pie Recipe
Truly, this is the best pecan pie recipe. It yields a wonderful flavor and texture. Plus, you may very well have everything you need in your pantry right now to make it. What are you waiting for?
Pecan Pie Ingredients
- Pecans – naturally, these are the whole basis of the pie.
- Eggs – they are the way to bind this dessert together.
- Light corn syrup – this keeps the pie from crystallizing while adding sweetness.
- Sugar – it balances out the rest of the sweetness. Brown sugar can also be used for a more nutty molasses taste.
- Butter – for that rich taste. No shortening necessary!
- Vanilla extract – just a touch of contrast to tame that sweetness in the right direction.
Easy Pecan Pie Recipe
The holidays are full of enough stress. Why not simplify life and make this easy pecan pie recipe? It takes just 10 minutes to prep with only 7 ingredients. The rest of the time is for baking, allowing you to get on the rest of your holiday cooking or simply take a load off and put your feet up. Absolutely one of the easiest and most delicious pies to make at home.
Family is like Pecan pie…something sweet holding all the nuts together.
How to Make Pecan Pie from Scratch
With a ready-to-go pie crust, pecan pie from scratch is even easier. You’ll mix together the filling, pour it into the pie crust, then bake until it’s ready!
How far ahead can you make pecan pie?
You can make holidays and entertaining easier by making pecan pie up to 3 days in advance. You’ll bake it, let it cool, cover, and keep it in the fridge. Your other alternative is to make the filling and ahead and then put it in the crust when you’re ready to bake it.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Pecan Pie Every Time
- Half & Half – When it comes to homemade pecan pie, the trick is using part sugar and part light corn syrup. This helps give it that texture you know and love about this pie every time.
- Homemade pie crust – Though you can make life easier on yourself by getting a pecan pie crust that’s ready to go. There’s no need to pre-bake it. Just prep the filling, pour it in, and bake. However, if you have some extra time, a food processor, parchment paper, and pie weights, definitely make your own. Here is a pie crust recipe I highly recommend!
How do you make Pecan Pie Filling?
Some people do it differently, but I think the best way to make pecan pie is to take the corn syrup, eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla and mix it all together. Then you stir in the pecans! It’s so easy!
Is light or dark corn syrup better for pecan pie?
Light corn syrup is the best for pecan pie because it’s lighter and sweeter. If all you have is dark corn syrup on hand, you can use it. It will add more of a nutty flavor.
How do you keep a pecan pie from leaking out of crust?
When making your own crust, you should butter the pie plate so it doesn’t stick when serving. For store-bought deep dish frozen pie crust, you can lightly wash a beaten egg white on top of the crust before pouring in the filling.
How do you keep a pecan pie from being runny?
If your pecan pie is runny, it’s likely because you haven’t baked it long enough. It should bake for 60 to 70 minutes at 350F and then left to cool and set. With this pecan pie recipe, you shouldn’t find a runny pie.
How do you keep pecan pie crust from getting soggy?
Should you keep turning up with a soggy pecan pie crust and you want it crispy, you should pre-bake it before you add the filling. Also called blind baking, this simple step may help you achieve that crisper texture with your pecan pie.
How do you thicken pecan pie?
All you need to do with this recipe is cook it for the 60 to 70 minutes duration and your pie will come out perfectly. It will thicken up as it cools. The thermometer will ensure you get the right temperature and consistency inside.
How Long to Bake Pecan Pie
Pecan pie needs to bake for 60 to 70 minutes at 350F. You can insert your cooking thermometer to see if the center has reached 200F to ensure it’s perfectly done.
What temperature is a pecan pie done?
Taking the temperature of pecan pie will make this recipe easier than pie. When the middle of the pie measures at 185F, your pecan pie is ready to come out of the oven.
Why is my pecan pie not cooked in the middle?
If your pecan pie is not cooked in the center, you should put it back in the oven. You can save yourself a lot of hassle and use your thermometer to check for an internal temperature of 185F.
Why is my pecan pie so hard?
Chances are, you overcooked it. If you follow the baking time on this recipe, you won’t run into hard pie. If your oven tends to cook quickly, you may want to check on it midway. If the crust looks too dark, you can use a pie shield or cover the edges with aluminum foil.
Best Toppings to Serve with Pecan Pie
I can’t imagine serving Southern pecan pie without whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. My husband loves it with a scoop of chocolate ice cream. Try it!
How to Store Pecan Pie
Because of the eggs, you will need to store your pecan pie in the fridge. Wrap it with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. In our house, we never get to that point. It’s always gone by then!
Can you leave pecan pie out?
No, you should never leave it out longer than it takes to either cool or let everyone get a serving. Because of the eggs, you will need to refrigerate it.
Can you Freeze Pecan Pie?
Yes, you can freeze your pecan pie but you will need to bake it first. You can wrap it in a freezer safe ziplock bag or container and keep it there for up to 3 months. You will want to thaw it out the night before you plan to serve it.
How to Thaw Frozen Pecan Pie?
Just let it thaw in the fridge. Then you can warm it up and serve it!
Watch How To Make Pecan Pie (Video)
The Perfect Pecan Pie Recipe
- 1 cup corn syrup (light)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter (melted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz pecans (coarsely chopped)
- 1 pie crust (9 inch deep dish frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl or deep medium bowl, mix together the corn syrup, eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla with a spoon or whisk. Stir in the pecans and then pour the mixture into the flour pie dough crust. Place your pie pan in the oven and bake for 60-70 minutes or until the center of the pie reaches 200F.
- Allow the pie to cool sufficiently for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.
More pecan pie recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.
I just made this pecan pie for bday and I have to say it was the BEST pecan pie I’ve made to date!! Wonderful texture–stayed together well and was not too sweet. No modifications to this one! I’m a Southern Alabama girl originally and let me tell you I’ve had many great pecan pies in the South–but not one of them beat this one!!! EXCELLENT!