For a special meal that practically cooks itself, make this crock pot brisket recipe and you’ll be in heaven. My husband always asks for me to turn the leftovers into a sandwich the next day and the kids pile it high on their plates. It’s perfect for company or meal prep, so discover the simple way to big flavor!
Best Brisket Recipe
You’ll find the best brisket recipe right here. With simple and wholesome ingredients, we’re going to transform a tough piece of meat into a tender and juicy delight that you won’t even need a knife to cut. Make it for a BBQ when you don’t want to spend time away from your guests, for a dinner party, or even for your little family when you want plenty of leftovers to see you through!
Easy Brisket Recipe
Yes, it will take about 9 hours to cook this brisket, but you’re only doing 20 minutes of work here. The rest is all done by your slow cooker. I love making this on a weekend, starting early in the morning so it’s ready for dinner at night. Though I have made it on a weekday when I’m organized in the morning so we can enjoy it for dinner.
- Beef brisket – The star of this classic beef brisket recipe of course. Choose 3 to 4lbs in size.
- Brisket rub – You’ll make this from brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin powder, mustard powder, and salt and pepper.
- BBQ sauce – Common kitchen staples come together to make your own BBQ sauce with minced garlic, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, onion powder, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper.
Low and slow is the way to go.
How do you Make Brisket from Scratch
All you do is make the rub and then rub it all over the brisket’s surface. You’ll let that sit for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, you’ll make the BBQ sauce and put it in the crock pot. Then you’ll put the brisket into the slow cooker. After it cooks, you’ll put it in the oven for 15 minutes while thickening the sauce from the slow cooker on the stove. You’ll baste the brisket and then slice it up to serve.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Brisket Every Time
- Choose quality with your beef brisket. Look for choice or prime grades whenever possible. It’s great if you can go to a butcher shop near you and get a nice cut.
- Look for marbling. Again, something a butcher can help you with but even at the supermarket, look for a brisket with fat marbling in the layers for more flavor. It is sure to make the most amazing brisket recipe.
- Go for fresh. It’s ideal that your brisket isn’t previously frozen.
- Use a crock pot. Brisket can be a tough cut of meat. By making this BBQ brisket recipe in a crock pot you can slow cook it until it is tender and absolutely delicious. The best beef brisket recipe is always moist and falls apart in your mouth.
- Know how to slice it. You need to cut across the grain or else it won’t have that melt-in-your-mouth texture.
Is brisket a good cut of meat?
Beef brisket is a good cut of meat for slow cooking, braised, smoking, or slow-roasting. It is not the kind of cut you’d use for making steaks as it is one of the toughest cuts of meat.
How to Cook Beef Brisket Recipe
How to cook brisket is as simple as following this recipe. You’ll be using your slow cooker, oven, and stove to make your brisket come out with the kind of taste that guests will swear came from a restaurant. I personally prefer slow cooker brisket as it is easiest and will come out incredibly tender.
How should brisket be cooked?
There are many ways to cook a brisket, though the easiest way is to use your slow cooker. This recipe shows you just how to do that and get the best taste.
Should you put rub on brisket overnight?
You can, though it is fine to put it on 30 minutes before you plan on cooking it. Doing so just prior to cooking also helps you remember to let it come to room temperature first so it cooks more evenly.
Should I sear brisket before slow cooking?
While some recipes insist upon searing, this recipe takes you straight to the slow cooker. It is afterwards that you’ll use your oven briefly to put the final touches on your beef brisket.
Should you brown brisket before slow cooking?
There is no need to brown your brisket before slow cooking. The liquids in this recipe will help ensure you make the most mouth-watering, juicy brisket.
How do you keep brisket moist?
With all the juices for the BBQ sauce in the crock pot, your slow cooker brisket recipe will stay nice and moist. It will also soak up even more BBQ brisket flavor and keep from drying out.
How do you make brisket more tender?
It helps to start with a quality cut of brisket. Look for one that has marbling and is a good cut. You’ll also have to be patient when cooking beef brisket. Since it’s a tough cut of meat, brisket needs to cook at a low temperature for a long time. I recommend your brisket cook temp is the low setting on your crock pot.
Will brisket get more tender the longer it cooks?
Yes, all the connective tissues will break down, leaving you with meat that virtually melts in your mouth.
Do you cook brisket fat side up or down?
The fat side should always be facing down when you cook brisket. This will help you achieve the perfect texture.
Can you overcook brisket in a slow cooker?
It is possible to overcook your brisket in the slow cooker. Make sure you have it on low rather than high. This allows for optimum slow cooking to render your meat juicy and tender.
How many hours does it take to cook a brisket?
Because brisket is such a tough cut of meat, it needs to be cooked slow and low. Your brisket cook time should be about 9 hours for your brisket to come out perfectly tender. You’ll know your brisket is getting close to being ready when the brisket internal temp reaches 165F. However the brisket internal temperature needs to stay at that temp long enough for the meat fibers to become tender.
Does brisket get more tender the longer you cook it?
Yes, it does, and it gets more tender the longer it sits. That means the next day, those leftovers are going to taste even better!
Why is my brisket tough in slow cooker?
If your BBQ brisket is tough in a slow cooker, you’ve either selected a cut of meat that isn’t good quality, lacks marbling, or you’ve put it on high when it should be on low.
How can I make my brisket taste better?
In this recipe, we use a rub to help render even better flavor to the meat. Additionally, the BBQ sauce you’ll make with this will certainly infuse the meat with flavor you can’t miss.
What goes well with Brisket?
Brisket is amazing with coleslaw, cornbread, baked beans, corn casserole, sauteed green beans, potato salad, pasta salad, and plenty more. You’ll love this tender and delicious meal!
How to Store Brisket
Once everyone is done indulging in this rich and meaty dish, it needs to be packed up and put in the fridge. An airtight container is best for keeping it fresh.
How Long Does Brisket Last?
In the fridge, you can keep your brisket up to 4 days, unless you have it with gravy. You should try to keep the gravy separate or your brisket will only last for up to 2 days in the fridge.
Can You Freeze Brisket?
Fortunately, you can freeze your brisket though again, it’s recommended to keep the gravy separate. Doing so, you’ll have up to 2 months to make use of your brisket bounty.
How to Reheat Brisket?
The trick is to keep your brisket temperature low. You’ll want to put your brisket on a baking sheet and let it come to room temperature. This lets it heat up evenly. As your brisket temp increases. Pour juices on and cover it, then bake at 325F for about 20 minutes.
Watch How To Make Brisket (Video)
Classic Brisket Recipe
- 3-4 lbs beef brisket
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Beef Brisket Rub
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to preferred spice level)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Combine the rub ingredients and then rub all over the brisket. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Then, combine the ingredients for the BBQ sauce into the slow cooker. Place the brisket into the slow cooker and cook for 8-10 hours on low.
- Once cooked, place brisket on a tray and pour the liquid into a saucepan. Bring the liquid to a simmer on medium high to high heat and reduce until thickened. While the liquid simmers, drizzle the brisket with olive oil and roast in the oven at 375F for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and baste with the sauce, then return to the oven again and roast for 5-10 minutes. Serve thinly sliced across the grain with the leftover BBQ sauce.
More brisket recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.