A simple dessert that is worthy of the best company, bread pudding is something everyone loves. Even if they’ve never had it before. My kids initially turned their little noses up to it until they took a taste. Now they ask me to make this bread pudding recipe for them all the time and so will anyone you make it for.
Best Bread Pudding Recipe
Bread pudding is simple to put together with fresh and easy ingredients. It only tastes complex but I promise, the proof is in the pudding (pun intended!) that you can make an amazing dessert out of such easy and ordinary ingredients.
Easy Bread Pudding Recipe
An old fashioned bread pudding recipe is very easy to make. It doesn’t take long for you to put together. You can even let it bake up while you and your guests enjoy your meal. That’s how I do it so it’s nice and warm when everyone’s ready for dessert.
Bread Pudding Ingredients
- French bread – You’ll need a day-old whole loaf for this old fashioned bread pudding recipe. Day-old French bread is the best bread for bread pudding.
- Butter – Melt it up!
- Raisins – Even if you don’t like raisins, they add so much to the flavor. You’ll be a believer in them with bread pudding.
- Eggs – Helps achieve the custardy texture you’ll experience.
- Milk – Works with the eggs for that custardy-feel.
- Seasonings – sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract all impart a sweetness together that take bread pudding into legendary territory.
How do you Make Bread Pudding from Scratch
When making this simple bread pudding recipe, all you do is cube the bread, put it in a baking dish, add the butter, and top with raisins. Then you’ll mix the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla together in another bowl and pour it over the bread. Make sure it’s all covered well and that the bread soaks up that egg mixture. Then you bake it for 45 minutes. That’s it!
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Bread Pudding Every Time
- Make sure your bread is dry and old. While making bread pudding with French bread is preferred, you can use any type of bread you have. It just should be a day old at the very least to have the best results in this recipe.
- Let the mixture soak in. This is key to making proper bread pudding. You want that dry bread to really soak it all of your bread pudding sauce.
- You can leave out the raisins. If they’re really bugging you, leave them out or if you don’t have them. It’s traditional to put them in and they really do add such a lovely flavor even for people that hate raisins.
How to Cook Bread Pudding
Bread pudding only requires a little prep time. You’ll get it ready in an oven-safe dish and then bake it together once assembled.
Why do you use stale bread for bread pudding?
In olden days when bread pudding first became a thing, it was a way to use up the old bread without it going to waste. But even today, you’ll see how fresh and moist stale bread becomes in this recipe.
Can bread be too stale for bread pudding?
No, any stale bread will do. Make sure it doesn’t have any mold on it, but other than that, old bread is great for bread pudding.
How Long to Bake Bread Pudding
Bread pudding takes 45 minutes to bake. This is at the temperature of 350F.
What goes well with Bread Pudding
Bread pudding is wonderful with coffee and tea after a big meal. If you’re looking to match it with wine, a nice Riesling will work.
How do you know when bread pudding is done?
You can stick a knife in the center of it. If it comes out clean, your bread pudding is ready.
Is bread pudding supposed to be moist?
Yes, the eggs and milk unite to give it a custardy texture inside. Your bread pudding should not be dry and crunchy.
How do you fix dry bread pudding?
If you somehow overcook it and it becomes dry or you’re reheating your bread pudding, you can fix it by adding a bread pudding sauce or cream on top. In fact, nothing works better than ice cream to bring it back to life.
How do you moisten bread pudding?
If you follow this bread pudding recipe properly, you should have perfectly moistened Southern bread pudding. However, if you’ve reheated yours and it seems dry, you can add a sauce or ice cream on top to moisten it.
Why is my bread pudding watery?
Perhaps you didn’t add enough bread to sop up the egg and milk mixture. With this recipe, make sure you measure everything out first and you shouldn’t have a watery bread pudding.
How do you fix runny bread pudding?
Make sure you’re baking your bread pudding long enough. If you don’t let it cook for the entire bake time, you may find the mixture hasn’t set yet and is runny.
Is bread pudding supposed to be gooey?
Yes, once it bakes up, it should have a somewhat gooey, rich, custardy texture. It’s absolutely divine with ice cream.
Is bread pudding supposed to be wet or dry?
Bread pudding should never be dry. Should yours turn out with a dry texture, you can quickly remedy it by adding sauce or ice cream on top.
What’s the difference between bread pudding and bread and butter pudding?
Indeed, these two dishes are similar in that they involve bread and a custard of sorts. But for bread and butter pudding, you take slices of buttered bread and pour the custard over the top, then bake.
How to Store Bread Pudding
If you have any leftovers of this bread pudding, it needs to go in the refrigerator. Store it in an airtight container to keep the flavors intact.
How Long Does Bread Pudding Last?
Your bread pudding will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator. We’ve never had that much leftover because it’s so good, it’s gone!
Can You Freeze Bread Pudding?
Yes, you can freeze bread pudding. You should wrap it exceedingly well and keep it for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat Bread Pudding?
Put your oven to 350F, then cover your bread pudding with foil. It should take 10 to 15 minutes to heat up.
Watch How To Make Bread Pudding (Video)
Homemade Bread Pudding Recipe
- 1 loaf French bread (day-old)
- 3 tbsp butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Cube the French bread and place into a baking dish and coat with the melted butter and sprinkle with raisins.
- Then, in a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla then pour over the bread. Lightly push down the bread with a fork to ensure that it completely soaks up the egg mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm as is or with vanilla ice cream.
More bread pudding recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.