Roasted potatoes are a wonderful side dish that keeps everyone coming back for more. In my house, when my husband and kids find out I’m serving this oven roasted potatoes recipe with dinner, they rush to the table as fast as they can. Easy, delicious, and nutritious, it comes together quick for an elegant meal any time.
Best Roasted Potatoes Recipe
Once upon a time, I used to buy those processed kid food. You know the ones. They promised delicious sides in no time. They have all kinds, including ones with potatoes. And then, I found out what was in them and needless to say, I found it was not only healthier but also tastier to make red potato recipes with ones I got from the produce department. This garlic roasted potatoes recipe ensures you’ve got tender, flavorful roasted red potatoes to go with your best meals.
Crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes Ingredients
- Red potatoes – you could use any potatoes, but with the red ones, you don’t need to worry about peeling. You can also substitute Yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoes if you do not have red potatoes.
- Garlic – mince your own for the best taste.
- Olive oil – a healthy fat to help the potatoes roast.
- Seasonings – a bit of Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, sea salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika is all you need to give these potatoes zing. If you do not have Italian seasoning you can simply use parsley, thyme, or other fresh herbs for your roast potato seasoning that will add a simple and delicious flavor.
Easy Roasted Potatoes Recipe
While this roasted red potatoes recipe does require planning a short time ahead, the steps are incredibly easy. Plus, it only takes 8 ingredients to make a side dish that will have everyone licking their plates.
This is deep…everything in the world is either a potato or not a potato.
How do you Make Roasted Potatoes from Scratch?
It’s so simple to make a delicious crispy oven potatoes side dish. You’ll chop the potatoes up, soak them in cold water, drain and dry them, and then coat them with the olive oil, garlic, and seasonings. Once that’s done, bake them for 35 minutes while you get the rest of dinner together.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Roasted Potatoes Every Time
- Soak those potatoes first. You don’t HAVE TO, but I can assure you that by soaking potatoes first , you will get perfectly crispy, roasted potatoes just like at your favorite restaurant.
- Make sure you drain and dry them well. For the soaking to have the desired effect of removing excess starch, you must drain them and dry them off after soaking.
- Try a salad spinner. I used mine to help dry off the potatoes in record time!
How to Cook Roasted Potatoes
The best roast potatoes are made by cooking potatoes in the oven. You will want to give them a soaking before you begin roasting. After that, it’s very quick to make! Pan posted potatoes are also good but an oven roasted potatoes recipe is easier with less mess.
Which potato is best for roasting?
Red potatoes are the best because they are easier to prepare and cut. There’s no need to peel them either. However, I also like making roasted small potatoes.
Should potatoes be soaked before roasting?
Yes. You can skip this step but your oven roasted red potatoes will not get as crispy as they would with the soaking.
Is it necessary to boil potatoes before roasting?
No, but to get the best texture, I recommend you cube your potatoes and soak them in cold water for about an hour prior to roasting.
Can you roast potatoes at low temperature?
No, that would be baking. Roasting is when you use the oven at a temperature of 400F or higher. At a lower temperature, the potatoes will cook but they will not roast.
How do you make roast potatoes crispy?
The secret is soaking the potatoes for an hour before roasting. This draws out the starches to make them nice and crispy.
Why won’t my roast potatoes go crispy?
You are not soaking your potatoes. A cold water soak an hour prior to cooking is what helps them get crispy.
Why are my roast potatoes soggy?
You likely didn’t drain and dry them enough. After soaking, you must make sure to remove excess water so they will get that crisp texture you want.
How Long to Bake Roasted Potatoes
It will take 35 minutes in your oven at 400F to roast potatoes properly.
What to Serve with Roasted Potatoes
Oh, the possibilities! Roasted chicken, ham, steak, pork tenderloin, lamb chops, or even baked fish are all stellar main dishes to serve with your crispy oven roasted potatoes.
How to Store Roasted Potatoes
Roasted baby red potatoes need to be refrigerated after you’re done serving them. Cooked potatoes cannot be left out on the countertop all night.
How Long Do Roasted Potatoes Last?
In an airtight container, you can enjoy those herb roasted potatoes for between 3 and 5 days.
Can You Freeze Roasted Potatoes?
Absolutely! You get more life out of them too so if everyone is all potato-ed out, you can put them in the freezer. Properly wrapped or encased in an airtight container, they will last for as long as a year.
How to Reheat Roasted Potatoes?
Thaw in the fridge overnight first, then bake until hot and crispy. You can also zap them in the microwave but they lose their lovely texture that way.
Watch How To Make Roasted Potatoes (Video)
Roasted Potatoes Recipe
- 2 lbs red potatoes (chopped)
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 400F. While the oven preheats, cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes and allow to soak in cold water for about an hour.
- Drain and dry the potatoes, then toss in the olive oil and seasoning. Bake for about 35 minutes on a baking sheet or pan until browned and fork tender.
More roasted potato recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.