Wish you could make tuna salad just like your favorite deli? Now you can! My kids love to help whip this up when we make tuna salad sandwiches on the weekend. We’ll take them out in the yard and enjoy the sunshine. There’s no greater pleasure than this simple tuna salad recipe that you can spread on your favorite breads and rolls for a perfect lunch together as a family!
Best Tuna Salad Recipe
Tuna salad is a deeply personal preference. I’m sharing my favorite method for making the best tuna salad recipe there is. Fresh ingredients are the key for a wholesome tuna salad, but if there is anything you dislike included, feel free to omit it.
Easy Tuna Salad Recipe
With less than 10 ingredients and less than 10 minutes required to make it, this easy tuna salad makes for a fantastic lunch or brunch option any time you like. Make it ahead to have ready for your next tuna fish sandwich!
What are the ingredients for a tuna salad?
- Canned tuna – Choose the one in water, not oil.
- Mayonnaise – A staple of creamy tuna salad.
- Celery – Chop it up nice and fine. It adds a refreshing crunchy texture to your tuna fish recipe.
- Red onion – Mince it to distribute that pungent taste throughout the salad a bit better.
- Sweet pickle relish – Don’t knock it ‘til you try it. My husband was anti-relish in tuna salad until I made this recipe for him.
- Lemon juice – The secret for the best tuna salad.
- Garlic – Another one to mince for even spreading.
- Salt and pepper – To taste.
How do you Make Tuna Salad from Scratch?
It really doesn’t get any easier than this. You’ll combine all the ingredients together, season with your salt and pepper, and then serve it on your favorite rolls for the perfect tuna salad sandwich recipe!
Don’t wait for opporTunaty. Make it!
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Tuna Salad Every Time
- Start with the right canned tuna. Tuna that is packed in water makes for better tuna fish salad recipe every time.
- Chop the celery well. Celery is great for added texture, crunch, and savory flavor. But if they chunks are too big, it messes up the whole thing. Use a fine chop and you won’t have cumbersome pieces in your way.
- Choose a good bread. I personally recommend croissants in my tuna fish sandwich recipe but use what you like. This is the best tuna salad so if you want to make it extra special, choose a unique sandwich bread and it will make you feel like you’re on vacation.
How do you make tuna taste good?
It’s all about the right kind of tuna and the correct combination of ingredients (listed below). You’ll discover tuna that tastes as good when you make your own tuna sandwich recipe as it does when you order it from your favorite sandwich place.
How do you make a tuna sandwich?
Simply combine your can of tuna with mayo, red onions, celery, garlic, lemon juice, sweet pickle relish, and salt and pepper. Then put it on croissants or quality bread layered with lettuce and sliced tomato.
What can I mix with canned tuna?
You can mix whatever you like with canned tuna, but I recommend mayo, finely-chopped celery, red onions, garlic, sweet pickle relish, and lemon juice.
What can I add to tuna?
Add whatever is in line with your tastes. This recipe uses mayo, red onion, celery, garlic, and sweet pickle relish. Lemon juice plus salt and pepper brings out the flavor. If you are opposed to relish, you can omit it.
What to add to tuna to make it taste better?
If your tuna salad tastes off, add lemon juice. Lemon always brings out the best in fish and seafood, and tuna salad is no exception to this rule!
What is the healthiest way to eat tuna?
You can use this tuna salad to top onto a bed of lettuce or use it in lettuce leaves as a wrap. Additionally, you can look for breads or wraps that fit your dietary requirements, making this a healthy sandwich filling.
What can I use in tuna instead of mayo?
Some people use avocado which isn’t bad but it gives it a different taste. If you want to keep things tasting similar to the original, use plain Greek yogurt instead of mayo.
What goes with Tuna Salad?
I like pairing tuna salad with a crispy garden salad that’s light on the dressing, something with a lemon vinaigrette. Fries or chips work great too as do the typical picnic sides like potato salad, macaroni salad, and coleslaw. Even a soup like chicken noodle makes a great side to this dish.
What goes well on a tuna sandwich?
The most common ingredients in a tuna sandwich are mayonnaise, red onion, sweet pickle relish, lettuce, tomato. You can also add cheese and heat the sandwich for a delicious tuna melt.
How to Store Tuna Salad
Tuna salad needs to be kept in an airtight container in your fridge. Do not let it sit out!
How Long Does Tuna Salad Last?
In your fridge, you’ll be able to use that tuna salad for 3 to 5 days. By day 3 for us, it’s usually all gone!
Can You Freeze Tuna Salad?
You can freeze it but I don’t think that’s the best idea. The mayo doesn’t bind and when it thaws, it can ruin the consistency. But if you don’t want to waste it, you can tuck tuna salad in your freezer for about 2 months tops.
How to Thaw Tuna Salad?
If you froze your tuna salad, all you need to do is put it in the fridge to thaw overnight.
Watch How To Make Tuna Salad (Video)
Classic Tuna Salad Recipe
- 20 oz canned tuna in water (drained)
- 1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp red onion (minced)
- 2 1/2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp garlic (minced)
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Combine all tuna salad ingredients in a medium bowl. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Serve on toasted croissants lined with with lettuce and sliced tomato.
More tuna recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.