Busy mornings are no excuse not to have a good breakfast! When I make this overnight oats recipe for my husband and kids, I can be sure everyone has a healthy start to the day. Plus, making oats for breakfast yourself ensures you’re eating nutritious ingredients rather than loads of sugar and artificial ingredients. This overnight oatmeal recipe will help you give you and your whole family a healthy oatmeal breakfast any day!
Best Overnight Oats Recipe
I keep things simple and fresh here so you’ll have the best overnight oats recipe working for you. Once you make it one time, you’ll want to make this oatmeal recipe every time because it comes out spot-on!
Overnight Oats Ingredients
- Old fashioned rolled oats – The oats are the main ingredient for this overnight oats rolled oats recipe.
- Almond milk – Or whichever milk you prefer.
- Plain Greek yogurt – For that nice, rich texture.
- Chia seeds – These babies give it almost a pudding-like consistency.
- Cinnamon – Adds a hint of spiced sweetness.
- Vanilla extract – For well-rounded sweet taste.
- Honey – Instead of sugar, it adds sweetness in a healthy way.
- Toppings – You’ll want your favorite fruits and granola to go with this.
Easy Overnight Oats Recipe
There is no cooking. There is no baking. All you do is put it together and go to sleep. This easy overnight oats recipe is quite possibly the most simply overnight oats you’ll ever make!
I wonder if overnight oats think about me too…?
How do you Make Overnight Oats from Scratch?
Grab a glass container (something with a lid like a mason jar works best) and mix all the ingredients until well combined. Cover, and put in your fridge for at least 2 hours though leaving it overnight is best. Toppings can be added at night or right before you serve.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Overnight Oats Every Time
- Old fashioned rolled oats are best. If you use instant oats, it will come out with a rougher texture, plus instant oats don’t soak up liquid as well.
- Wait at least 2 hours. Ideally, you want to wait overnight before tasting them. The longer this chills, the creamier it gets.
- Loosen it up with more milk. If your overnight oats get too thick, you can add a little milk to adjust the consistency.
- Anything goes with toppings. Follow my suggestions in the recipe below or feel free to come up with your own creations once you get the hang of making overnight oats.
How do you make good overnight oats?
To make good overnight oats, you’ll need to use fresh ingredients, the proper amounts, and the correct instructions. Using this recipe will provide the proper ingredients and balance.
Are overnight oats healthy?
Yes, they are filled with fiber and protein plus a bounty of vitamins and minerals. This is excellent for your overall health and nutrition. Making healthy overnight oats is both fun and easy.
Is it ok to eat overnight oats every day?
Yes, it’s totally fine, however for some, it may cause digestive issues when eaten at this frequency because the oats are uncooked.
Are chia seeds necessary for overnight oats?
No, however overnight oats with chia seeds create more of a pudding-like texture that makes this healthy overnight oats breakfast taste more indulgent.
Can you use any oats for overnight oats?
You could but you’ll be sorry if you don’t use old fashioned oats. The texture will be off and you won’t get the indulgent mouthfeel that old fashioned oats soaked in liquids creates.
What kind of oats do you use for overnight oats?
Use the old fashioned rolled oats for this. The instant ones won’t come out with the right texture.
Which oats are best for overnight oats?
The best oats for overnight oats are the old fashioned rolled oats. These soak the liquids up well and give off a lovely texture you’ll enjoy eating.
What type of milk is best for overnight oats?
I used almond milk in my overnight oats, but please feel free to use your favorite dairy or plant-based milk for this recipe.
How much liquid do I put in overnight oats?
In this recipe, you’ll use half a cup of almond milk, or your favorite milk.
Is yogurt necessary for overnight oats?
It is not necessary to make overnight oats with yogurt so if you are dairy-free or vegan, feel free to add more of your own plant-based milk to make an overnight oats vegan friendly recipe.
How can I thicken overnight oats without yogurt?
You will simply add more of your plant-based milk to replace it. This should keep it at a good consistency.
What to put in oatmeal?
Most people put fruit, cinnamon, and honey in oatmeal. You can do the very same for your overnight oats.
What goes well in/on Overnight Oats
I like to put granola on our overnight oats and mix that with fruits. Sliced strawberries and bananas, blueberries with almond slivers and agave, and mango with coconut shavings are just some suggestions.
How to Store Overnight Oats
Overnight oats are stored in the fridge. Seal the container with a lid.
How Long Do Overnight Oats Last?
You can keep your overnight oats in the fridge for up to 5 days. That means you can make a big batch at the beginning of the week and portion it out for everyone to enjoy.
Can You Freeze Overnight Oats?
Yes, you can freeze them for up to 3 months, believe it or not! It’s best to have them pre-portioned first though.
How to Thaw Overnight Oats?
You’ll put it in the fridge overnight. Be mindful that it will take 8 to 12 hours in your refrigerator to get to the normal consistency after thawing.
Watch How To Make Overnight Oats (Video)
Homemade Overnight Oats Recipe
- 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- Sliced strawberries and bananas and a pinch of granola of choice
- Blueberries with almond slices and agave drizzle and granola of choice
- Mango, coconut shavings, and granola of choice
- Place all of the ingredients for the base into a glass container of your choice and mix until well combined. Mason jars are preferable because they include a screw on lid. Cover your glass container with a lid or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. The overnight oats should be refrigerated for at least 2 hours, but overnight is preferable. You can add your toppings the night before or add them right before serving. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
More Oat recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.