Recently, I met some friends for lunch at Chili’s. We ordered salads but when someone across the restaurant ordered those sizzling fajitas, I was jealous. That’s when I decided I’d make it myself for my family one night. The result is this fajita recipe that will give you that sizzling flavor that everyone will devour!
Best Chicken Fajita Recipe
If you love chicken fajitas, this homemade fajita recipe is sure to be a winner at your table. And believe it or not, it’s so much easier than you think. Simple ingredients are all it takes to give you the best fajita recipe ever.
Chicken Fajitas Ingredients
- Chicken breast – Use boneless skinless chicken breasts and slice them thin.
- White onion – You’ll want to thinly-slice this one too.
- Bell peppers – You can use differently colored ones or all the same, just thinly slice them.
- Chicken fajita seasoning recipe – You’ll make this with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Lime – Gives it a nice citrus contrast.
- Soft tortillas – For wrapping up your fajitas of course. If you’re gluten-free, choose corn tortillas!
Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe
This easy chicken fajita recipe is simple and delicious. Even on a busy weeknight, you can surprise your family with chicken fajitas. You probably have everything you need in your kitchen too. Hungry? Your fajitas are just 35 minutes away from hitting the table!
Sometimes you gotta stop and smell the fajitas.
How do you Make Chicken Fajitas from Scratch
You’ll first make the fajita seasoning. Then you’ll season your chicken with it. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sear that chicken for about 8 minutes on each side. You want them to turn golden brown, and once they do, take them out. Then add the peppers and onions in and cook well. Add the chicken back in and toss it all together. Then you can serve them any way you wish!
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Chicken Fajitas Every Time
- Make sure you brown the chicken. If you want that sizzling taste just like the restaurant, get that heat up and that sear on. The brown sear makes adds a unique flavor to make this chicken fajita recipe pop.
- Make it your way. If you don’t have chicken, you can use beef, pork, or even shrimp. Just remember that cooking times will vary a bit when you swap the protein.
- Add more veggies too! If you’re not a meat person, you can beef it up (pardon the pun) by adding things like mushrooms for a vegetarian and vegan version.
- Choose your sides. I love putting out all the toppings so that my husband and kids can fold up their tortillas their way.
What are chicken fajitas made of?
Mexican chicken fajitas are made with chicken, onions, peppers, tortillas, and your favorite add-on items like salsa, cheese, guac, sour cream, and pico de gallo.
What cut of meat do you use for fajitas?
If you decide to make these homemade fajitas with beef instead of chicken, try using skirt steak or flank steak. This will give you a tender experience!
Do you cut chicken before or after cooking for fajitas?
You need to slice the chicken before you cook it for fajitas. This ensures a quick cooking time and tender bite-sized pieces for every tortilla.
How do you cut raw chicken breast for fajitas?
Slice your chicken breast with the grain to get the best and most tender chicken fajitas!
How do you make fajitas tender?
The secret is rubbing the slices of chicken with the fajita seasoning and then cooking on high heat to sear them. It makes the meat juicy and melt right in your mouth.
What is the difference between taco seasoning and fajita seasoning?
Fajita seasoning tends to be milder than taco seasoning. That’s because taco seasoning has more chili powder in it.
What can I use instead of peppers in fajitas?
If you dislike peppers or have trouble eating them, you can use mushrooms, zucchini, green beans, broccoli, or jicama instead!
What is fajita sauce made of?
It’s not a sauce, but rather, a seasoning mixture of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Combined together with the chicken and veggies, it comes out with a saucy texture.
How do you make fajita sauce from scratch?
It’s not a sauce, but a seasoning that becomes a bit saucy from the juices of the chicken and the vegetables. It is made with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper.
How to Cook Chicken Fajitas
Chicken fajitas are cooked in one skillet on the stove top. They’re so easy to make in just one pan!
How do you know when chicken fajitas are done?
Chicken is always ready when the internal temperature reaches 165F. If you follow this recipe and cook your sliced chicken 8 minutes per side, it should be done properly.
How are fajitas traditionally served?
Fajitas are traditionally served piping hot with tortillas and toppings you can add as you wish like salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or shredded cheese.
What condiments do you serve with fajitas?
You can serve whatever toppings you like with fajitas. Some good choices for fajita toppings are salsa, sour cream, pico de gallo, and guacamole.
What goes on top of fajitas?
Top your fajitas any way you want! We love guacamole, salsa, pico de gallo, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
What goes well with Chicken Fajitas?
Black beans and rice make a nice side or you can do a fiesta-style salad. I also serve guacamole, chips and salsa, and put out plenty of sour cream and shredded cheese for toppings.
How to Store Chicken Fajitas
Chicken fajitas are fabulous for meal prep. Just put them in the fridge and enjoy!
How Long Do Chicken Fajitas Last?
In your fridge, chicken fajitas will last 5 to 7 days. That’s plenty of time to eat them all up!
Can You Freeze Chicken Fajitas?
Freezing the chicken fajitas filling is a great way to have a delicious meal prep meal any time you need it. Don’t freeze the tortillas or toppings though. Seal it up in a freezer bag and it will be good for 6 to 8 months.
How to Reheat Chicken Fajitas?
Your chicken fajitas can thaw in the fridge overnight. Then just cook them on the stovetop until they’re hot and ready and put out fresh tortillas and toppings.
Watch How To Make Fajitas (Video)
Classic Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (thinly sliced)
- 1 white onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 bell peppers (thinly sliced)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the fajita seasoning ingredients until well combined and set aside.
- Next, liberally season the chicken breasts on both sides with the seasoning, pressing it into the chicken. Once the chicken has been seasoned, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Sear the chicken breast slices for about 8 minute per side, or until they get a golden brown crust. Once the chicken has finished cooking, set aside.
- Add the bell peppers and onions to the skillet and saute until cooked thoroughly. Once cooked, add the chicken back into the skillet and toss everything together. Squeeze half the lime juice over everything. Serve the fajitas with tortillas, sour cream, avocado, and any other desired toppings.
More fajitas recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.