Want a healthy and fresh side that goes with just about anything? This cucumber salad recipe is perfect for picnics, barbecues, or even to go with tonight’s dinner. With a simple vinegar-based dressing, it’s a favorite in my house and one of my most requested items to bring to a potluck!
Best Cucumber Salad Recipe
Fresh ingredients without a hint of mayonnaise…that’s what you’ll find with this cucumber salad! Not that I have a problem with mayonnaise but in those hotter months or when you’re eating outside, you don’t have to worry about it spoiling. Even picky eaters love it!
Cucumber Salad Ingredients
- English cucumbers – You’ll thinly slice these for that paper-thin texture.
- Red onion – Adds a sharp contrast to the mellow and refreshing taste of your cucumbers. Mandatory for any cucumber onion salad.
- Salt – You’ll use this on your cucumber slices to draw out excess water to prevent from having a watery salad.
- Vinegar Sugar mixture – Made with distilled vinegar, water, and granulated sugar, you heat this up and then pour it on your cucumbers for the perfect balance to your cucumber vinegar salad.
- Fresh dill – Mince up fresh dill to add a wonderful flavor.
I’m just a girl, standing in front of a salad, asking it to be a donut.
Easy Cucumber Salad Recipe
This easy cucumber salad recipe takes little time to make. However, do plan on allowing enough time for it to chill before you serve it!
How do you Make Cucumber Salad from Scratch
You’ll slice your cucumbers thin, then season them well with salt. Let the cucumbers sweat out excess water for an hour and then drain it. Toss in the red onions. Then heat white vinegar and water on the stove and dissolve sugar into it. Pour this over the cucumbers, stir in the dill, cover, and chill for an hour.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Cucumber Vinegar Salad
- Don’t skip the salting step. It makes such a difference in how this comes out. Please allow for that hour as your cucumbers seep out excess water.
- Heat the sugar mixture. You want the sugar to dissolve and become even in this vinegar and water mixture. Trust me, it makes for the best and simplest dressing for your cucumber onion salad.
- Use fresh dill. You could use the dried stuff from your spice rack but I beg you, use the fresh stuff for the best flavors!
Should you peel cucumbers for salad?
That is entirely up to you! You can simply slice your cucumbers up, or you can peel them first if you’d prefer.
How do you keep cucumber salad from getting watery?
You must salt them and let them sit for an hour. This way, the salt draws out the excess water and will keep from ruining your cucumber vinegar salad.
What can you do with fresh cucumbers?
So what can you do with fresh cucumbers? Make cucumber salad to serve to your family, friends, or bring as a healthy treat to the office. It’s so easy to make with simple ingredients that yield big flavor!
What to make out of cucumbers?
You can make pickles with cucumbers, though one of the best things to do is make cucumber salad. It’s a refreshing alternative to other salads, especially in the summer!
What can I do with lots of cucumbers?
If you’re wondering what can I do with lots of cucumbers, make a cucumber salad! This is a great idea when you’ve got a picnic, barbecue, or potluck to attend. Even for a large family dinner, this is one everyone will love.
How long can you keep cucumbers in vinegar?
Three days is the maximum for leaving cucumbers in vinegar. After that, they become more limp and lack the crispness they once had.
What is cucumber and vinegar good for?
Cucumbers are great for keeping you hydrated. In vinegar, they have a nice tart taste. But in this recipe with the addition of sugar, it balances the vinegar flavor making for the perfect combination.
How long are cucumbers in vinegar good for?
Cucumbers in vinegar will last for about 3 days. After that, the vinegar solution renders the cucumber salad texture less crispy and desirable.
How do you make cucumbers taste better?
Cucumbers will taste better when you take the time to draw the water out of them before putting them in your salad. Cucumbers and vinegar are an excellent pairing. And if you follow this cucumber salad recipe, you’ll get nothing but compliments on your culinary prowess!
What spices go well with cucumber?
Dill is one of the best things to go with cucumber. It’s one of the most perfect matches there is. With a little salt to bring these things together, you’ve got the best flavors for this salad.
Can you freeze cucumbers for later use?
Yes, you can freeze cucumbers though you should prepare them in a brine first. Basically it’s like a freezer pickle. I don’t recommend freezing them plain though.
What goes well with Cucumber Salad
Cucumber salad is a match for heavier meals or picnic and barbecue-style foods. Think burgers, hotdogs, ribs, steaks or chicken on the grill. Even with a pulled pork in your slow cooker. It’s refreshing and light making it ideal to serve with heavier options.
How to Store Cucumber Salad
Cucumber salad needs to go in your fridge. It should be served cold.
How Long Does Cucumber Salad Last?
You can keep cucumber salad in your fridge for about 3 days. Anything after that and they will lose their texture.
Watch How To Make Cucumber Salad (Video)
Summer Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 2 English cucumbers (sliced thinly)
- pinch of salt
- 1 red onion (sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar (distilled)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp fresh dill (minced)
- In a large bowl, liberally season the cucumber slices with the salt. Allow to sweat for 1 hour, then drain the liquids and toss with the red onions.
- In a small saucepan, pour in white vinegar and water on high heat and stir in sugar until fully dissolved. Pour the sugar mixture over the cucumbers and stir in the dill. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve cold.
More cucumber salad recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.