One day I was searching for healthy ground turkey recipes and I was surprised to really not find much. So after a little research for ground turkey dinner ideas I came up with this. A quick and healthy weeknight meal, this ground turkey recipe is something my family adores. It’s super-simple to throw together and is a healthy, wholesome way to get dinner on the table quick.
Best Ground Turkey Recipe
Not sure how to cook ground turkey? This is the best ground turkey recipe with simple and fresh ingredients that will help you break out of your dinner rut tonight.
Easy Ground Turkey Recipe
With this easy ground turkey recipe, you can have dinner on the table in 25 minutes flat. It’s easy to make your way too, serving it as you wish to get the family engaged in a healthy meal.
Homemade Ground Turkey Ingredients
- Ground turkey – Grab a pound of it.
- Chopped veggies – Yellow onion, scallions, and red bell peppers add more colors and flavor.
- Garlic – Mince it for that lovely pungent flavor for any ground turkey meals.
- Chili powder – An excellent ground turkey seasoning that gives this dish a nice kick without being too hot.
- Cilantro – Finishes off the flavor beautifully.
How do you Make Ground Turkey from Scratch
You’ll heat olive oil in a skillet then add the chopped onions and peppers. After that, the garlic goes in. Move those things to the edge and add more oil before adding the ground turkey in. Add the chili powder, brown the turkey, and mix the veggies in with it. Once it’s cooked through, add the cilantro.
Talk turkey to me.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Ground Turkey Every Time
- Choose quality ground turkey. Avoid any that has fillers and it will make your ground turkey recipes taste so much better.
- Make sure it’s cooked through. Cooking ground turkey should take about 15 minutes and have a nice even brown hue with no pink.
- Feel free to add more spice. I love this dish because you can customize the spice. I’ll take some out of the pan for the kids first and then I’ll add more chili powder for my husband and me.
How to Cook Ground Turkey
Ground turkey is the best cooked on the stovetop. This recipe is almost like a ground turkey stir fry. When you cook aromatic veggies with it, it gives it plenty of flavor. And because ground turkey is so good for you, you’ll have a delicious and nutritious low carb meal everyone will love!
Do you Season ground turkey before cooking?
Yes, you season it first as it goes in the pan. The salt, pepper, and chili powder will give it flavor along with the fresh veggies in this recipe.
What is the best way to season ground turkey?
With ground turkey, you need fresh aromatics to season it. Chopped yellow onions, scallions, cilantro, and red bell pepper all help add flavor. So too does the chili powder and minced garlic.
How do you make ground turkey tender?
The key is not to cook it too long while cooking it through. At 15 minutes, it should be just right without drying out.
Does ground turkey cook faster than hamburger?
Ground turkey and ground beef cook about the same in time. However, turkey tends to dry out faster so you might think it’s ready first. You can use a thermometer to help you keep the turkey temperature at 165F.
Why is ground turkey better for you than ground beef?
Because ground turkey has lower saturated fat content than beef, it is a better choice for your health. This is especially true if you’re trying to take care of your heart.
What can I add to ground turkey for flavor?
In this recipe, you’ll be adding onions, scallions, bell pepper, salt, garlic, and chili powder which will give this ground turkey tons of flavor.
How do you make ground turkey more moist?
Don’t overcook your ground turkey and it will stay moist. It should take no more than 15 minutes to cook. Anything beyond that will dry it out.
How long to cook ground turkey?
Once your prep work is done, it will be roughly 15 minutes until your ground turkey has been cooked through. It will register as 165F when safely cooked.
Do you drain ground turkey?
Because your ground turkey is so lean, there is no need to drain it. You can simply enjoy it as-is.
Can you put raw ground turkey in a slow cooker?
Yes, though you will want to be sure it cooks long enough. However, it might not have the flavor you’re hoping for if you don’t brown it first.
What to Serve with Ground Turkey
With many of my easy ground turkey recipes, love putting out fresh Romaine leaves to wrap them in. I also serve rice and we like to wrap our ground turkey with the rice into the lettuce. You can use this to make a bowl too, another great way to use up any leftovers. Most ground turkey recipes can be swapped for ground beef, chicken, or pork.
What can you do with Ground Turkey?
Ground turkey is a healthy option that is very versatile. Here are some other great ways to use lean ground turkey to make some of the best ground turkey recipes you’ve ever had:
- One of my favorites a healthy taco recipe using ground turkey, cheese, tomatoes, and beans!
- Turkey meatloaf
- Turkey meatballs and broccoli pasta
- Turkey chili
- Turkey and kale soup with carrots
- Turkey lettuce wrap
- Turkey burger patties
- Spicy turkey sausage
How to Store Ground Turkey
Lean ground turkey shouldn’t be kept more than a day or two before cooking. After that, any leftovers should be refrigerated or frozen promptly.
How Long Does Ground Turkey Last?
Ground turkey will last about 3 to 4 days after cooking it. Make sure you keep it in an airtight container. And if you can’t finish it, there’s always the freezer!
Can You Freeze Ground Turkey?
You bet you can freeze it! Ground turkey is good for about 3 to 4 months in the freezer without compromising the flavor.
How to Reheat Ground Turkey?
Reheating ground turkey is easy on your stovetop. Just heat it up until it’s warmed through. Adding a little broth or water helps keep it from drying out.
Watch How To Make Ground Turkey (Video)
Homemade Ground Turkey Recipe
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (separated)
- 1 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup scallions (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan or skillet on medium high heat. Add in the chopped onions and peppers and cook until softened. Once softened, add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Then, push the vegetables to the edge of the pan and add the remaining oil to coat the empty part of the pan. Place chunks of the ground turkey in the pan and then sprinkle salt with chili powder and brown. Once the turkey is cooked through, stir in the onions and peppers and add more salt and chili powder to taste and remove from heat. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
More ground turkey recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.