There’s no place like home when the holidays hit because of all those yummy food smells. But who says you have to wait until then to gather around a delicious sweet potato pie? It’s fun any time of year, for company or just for your own family, to whip up this homemade sweet potato pie recipe. The dense texture and complex flavors come out all the more with the toasted marshmallow topping which my kids just love!
Best Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Have you ever bought a sweet potato pie at the store? Oh honey, we all have. And if you have, you’ve probably noticed the ingredients have all kinds of additives. When I started noticing stuff like that, that’s when I started baking these things from scratch. It only looks hard. This recipe will walk you through it and have you making the best sweet potato pie ever!
Homemade Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients
- Sweet potatoes – You’ll need a pound of these babies.
- Unsalted butter – Let it soften up.
- White sugar – Makes your sweet potato pie sweeter.
- Spices – Grab your cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and black cardamom from the spice rack.
- Vanilla extract – Balances the sweetness.
- Orange zest – A touch of citrus makes this even better.
- Fresh grated ginger – That hint of spice is nice plus it’s good for you.
- Milk – Just a cup is all you need.
- Eggs – For binding
- Pie crust – You’ll want a pre-made, unbaked 9-inch one for this pie.
- Marshmallow topping – You’ll make this with egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, and vanilla extract.
Easy Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Yes, it takes about 40 minutes just to prep this pie, but I swear it is as easy as pie. The longest prep part is boiling the sweet potatoes. Just follow this recipe for old fashioned sweet potato pie and you’ll see how simple it is to make this easy sweet potato pie recipe!
How do you Make Sweet Potato Pie from Scratch?
You’ll first boil your sweet potatoes for about 50 minutes until they’re fork tender. You’ll remove the skins after that, then mash them up in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and beat with your electric mixer on medium. Then add the rest of the ingredients until it’s smooth. Pour it into your unbaked pie crust and smooth. Bake your homemade sweet potato pie 350F for 45 minutes to an hour. Let it cool. Then make the marshmallow topping and put it on top. You can use your kitchen torch to brown it before serving.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Sweet Potato Pie Every Time
- Boil the potatoes whole with skins on. Making a Southern sweet potato pie recipe so much easier to mash them into the pie when you can just peel the skins right off like butter.
- Make sure your butter softens. Honestly, this will incorporate way better into the sweet potatoes this way.
- Be patient. This pie needs to cool first or it will ooze everywhere.
- You can have fun with the topping. Decorate it your way by covering the whole top or adding dollops. This is all part of the fun!
Doing the yam thing!
Are yams and sweet potatoes the same thing?
No, though they look similar. Yams are more starchy and dry than sweet potatoes.
Is sweet potato pie made from yams?
No, it is made from sweet potatoes. Yams are drier and starchier.
Are canned sweet potatoes as good as fresh sweet potatoes?
Canned sweet potatoes are as nutritious as fresh ones. You can still use canned ones if you prefer, though you must be careful of the extra liquid or it will make for a runny pie.
Is it better to boil or bake sweet potatoes for pie?
Both options can work although in this recipe, I boil the sweet potatoes whole with skins on. It makes it so much easier to make and tastes just as delicious.
What temperature should baked sweet potatoes be?
If you are baking sweet potatoes for this recipe, you’ll want them to reach 205F at the thickest point to be ready.
How long do you bake sweet potatoes for at 400 degrees?
If you want to bake the sweet potatoes first at 400 degrees, you can. It will take about 45 to 50 minutes at this temperature.
How to make Sweet Potato Pie?
First, you’ll want to prep your ingredients for sweet potato pie so you are ready to start. Sweet potato pie begins on your stovetop by boiling the sweet potatoes. You need an electric mixer to get the pie filling ready, and then you need to bake it.
How Long to Bake Sweet Potato Pie?
At 350F, it will take 45 minutes to an hour to bake a Southern sweet potato pie recipe.
How do I know when my sweet potato pie is done?
The middle of the pie will jiggle a little and the temperature should read 175F when you use a cooking thermometer. You can also insert a knife in the edge of the filling and if it comes out clean, it’s ready.
Why is my sweet potato pie runny?
You should make sure you drain your boiled sweet potatoes very well first. This will prevent it from becoming runny in the pie.
Why does my sweet potato pie fall apart?
You may not have drained your sweet potatoes well enough. If your pie is falling apart, you must watch your measurements as this will effect the finished product.
What goes well with Sweet Potato Pie?
This dessert goes great on your holiday table or is perfect for following any hearty meal. From roast chicken to pork tenderloin, or even a beef brisket, you’ll love having sweet potato pie to finish things off. Coffee for the adults and cocoa for the kids always work too!
How to Store Sweet Potato Pie?
A sweet potato pie is classified as a baked custard pie. That said, it needs be covered with foil and go in the fridge after it has completely cooled.
How Long Does Sweet Potato Pie Last?
In your fridge, it will last for up to 4 days if you don’t eat it all first.
Can You Freeze Sweet Potato Pie?
Yes, you can freeze sweet potato pie and it will be good for about 3 months. However, the texture may change a little.
How to Reheat Sweet Potato Pie?
If frozen, let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Then when you’re ready, reheat it for about 15 minutes at 325F. This will bring it back to the right texture.
Watch How To Make Sweet Potato Pie (Video)
Classic Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp black cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 pre-made unbaked pie crust (9 inches)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar (heaping)
Sweet Potato Pie Instructions
- Boil the sweet potatoes whole until fork tender and remove the skins, about 50-55 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash up the sweet potato and add butter. Beat on a medium speed with an electric hand mixer, then add in the remaining ingredients. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth. Pour the sweet potato filling into the unbaked pie crust, using a spoon to smooth into an even layer.
- Bake the pie at 350F for 45 minutes to an hour, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Marshmallow Topping Instructions
- Create double-boiler but placing a saucepan over barely simmering water. Place a glass or heat-proof bowl on top of the saucepan. Add the 3 egg whites and sugar to the bowl and stir constantly until it reaches 160F degrees. Once the mixture has reached the proper temperature, add in the cream of tartar. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer on moderate speed until stiff peaks form. Add in the vanilla when you see the peaks begin to form. You can spread the topping over the sweet potato pie or use a piping bag to dot the pie in decorative dollops. Use a kitchen torch or slightly broil to lightly toast and brown the topping.
More sweet potato pie recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.