You don’t have to wait for that “Taco Tuesday” to make this homemade Mexican taco recipe. Ditch the kits and make these from scratch and your family will devour them. My husband and kids cheered the other day when I made this authentic ground beef taco recipe and I’m sure yours will too!
Best Mexican Taco Recipe
I find that the best tacos taste better when they’re fresher. This Mexican tacos recipe takes the items from your spice rack and fresh ingredients to create delicious authentic tacos. They’ll be the best ground beef tacos you ever had, better than that preservative-filled taco seasoning they give you in those taco kits!
Homemade Mexican Taco Ingredients
- Ground beef – When making ground beef tacos, go for lean ground beef for this taco meat recipe.
- Tomato sauce – You’ll divide an 8-ounce can.
- White corn tortillas and taco shells – The best of both worlds!
- Beef taco seasoning – You’ll need salt and pepper to taste plus garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, smoked paprika, cumin, and onion powder. These make the ideal blend for the best tacos.
- Garnishes – Prepare what you like with jalapenos, sour cream, shredded cheddar, avocado, diced tomato, diced red onion, shredded lettuce, and lime wedges.
Easy Mexican Taco Recipe
This delicious original Mexican taco recipe only takes a few minutes to prepare and will be on your table delighting your family in just 35 minutes. It’s an easy taco recipe that is perfect for any night of the week, for just your family, or even for serving guests! Plus it makes great leftovers.
Live everyday like its taco Tuesday!
How do you Make Mexican Tacos from Scratch?
To make authentic tacos, start by adding vegetable oil to your nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When it’s hot, put in the ground beef and cook until it’s browned with no pink left. Add half the tomato sauce and stir. Then add the spices and the rest of the tomato sauce and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Fry the corn tortillas for a few seconds per side and then serve your homemade tacos with your favorite toppings.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Tacos Every Time
- Fry the corn tortillas and warm the tacos shells. This is essential for having the best taco vessels around.
- Don’t skip the tomato sauce. The best taco recipe includes a little acidity that will kick that flavor up and give it a saucy texture.
- Have a bounty of toppings. You don’t have to use all the toppings I’ve used here. Pick your favorites and put them out party-style so everyone at the table can top them the way they like.
How do you make good tacos?
Authentic Mexican tacos start with quality taco ingredients. Buy good ground beef and fresh ingredients for your toppings and you’ll have the kind of tacos you get from the best taco places around.
How to make taco meat?
Making a Hispanic taco meat recipe is easy. You just need ground beef, tomato sauce, and the right seasonings to bring it all together.
How to you cook ground beef for tacos?
You’ll heat vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet and brown the beef. Then add tomato sauce and seasonings, cooking for about 5 to 7 more minutes until it’s ready to serve.
What is in a traditional Mexican taco?
Traditional tacos can vary with fillings to include beef, chicken, pork, seafood, veggies, or beans. This recipe includes ground beef.
What do you put in a taco?
You can put whatever you like in a taco. In this authentic taco recipe, you’ll put seasoned ground beef, cheese, and toppings like sour cream, avocado, jalapenos, lettuce, and more.
What toppings should I put on my taco?
Tacos are best when they have what you like on them. Some suggestions are jalapenos, sour cream, shredded cheddar, avocado, diced tomatoes, diced red onions, and shredded lettuce. They taste even better with a squeeze of lime from a lime wedge.
What goes well with Tacos for dinner?
If you want to make your taco dinner more complete, serve a taco salad, chips and salsa, guacamole, refried beans, Mexican rice, black beans and rice, elote, or Mexican coleslaw.
How to Store Tacos
Tacos need to go in the fridge. Wrap everything separate to keep it tasting its best.
How Long Do Tacos Last?
Your leftover taco meat will last 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
Can You Freeze Tacos?
So many people don’t realize that you CAN freeze tacos! But you should keep the items separated. So, bag up the meat, then bag up the tortillas, and then the cheese. And then you can put them in one big freezer bag to make a frozen taco meal kit.
How to Reheat Tacos?
Let the meat thaw in the fridge overnight, then gently warm it on the stovetop until it’s hot. Serve with all your favorite toppings!
Watch How To Make Tacos (Video)
Classic Mexican Taco Recipe
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce (divided)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/4 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- taco shells
- 8 white corn tortillas
- jalapeños (for garnish)
- sour cream (for garnish)
- shredded cheddar cheese (for garnish)
- avocado (for garnish)
- diced tomato (for garnish)
- diced red onion (for garnish)
- shredded lettuce (for garnish)
- lime wedges
- Add oil to nonstick skillet on medium to medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add in the ground beef, cooking until fully browned without any pink showing. Add the tomato sauce and spice blend. Cook the mixture for 5-7 minutes. Serve with fried corn tortillas and desired toppings.
More taco recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.