Sometimes, we all need a hug from the inside. That’s where this tater tot casserole recipe comes in. As the name implies, it’s made with tater tots which make it kid-approved instantly. But it’s full of flavors that even grownups love. And since you know what’s going into it, you can feel good about serving it up to your whole family. When my kids were smaller, they called it “tot tot.” Call it what you want as you trot this tater tot hotdish out for everything from potlucks to family dinners!
Best Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
The beauty of the best tater tot casserole is that it is made with stuff you’ve got in your kitchen right now. Believe it or not, these things come together to make a savory, rich, creamy yet crispy potato-y meal. Trust me, it’s the one everyone heads back to for seconds every time!
Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients
- Frozen tater tots – The star ingredient of today’s recipe!
- Ground beef – For a tater tot casserole with ground beef, be sure to choose lean to balance the fat content of the meat.
- White onion – Dice it up.
- Soup cans – You’ll need one each of condensed cheddar cheese and cream of mushroom.
- Veggie cans – You’ll also need one each of corn and green beans. My kids love this tater tot casserole with green beans.
- Shredded cheddar – Is there anything better than cheese to bring this all together? Spoiler alert: nothing is better than cheese!
- Sour cream – Making tater tot casserole with sour cream adds more richness and tang.
- Seasonings – Garlic powder, salt, and pepper can all be found on your spice rack, no doubt!
- Worcestershire sauce – Brings out the best in the beef.
Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
This tater tot hotdish recipe couldn’t be easier. As mentioned, you should have all these things in your kitchen, so put them to good use. It only takes 15 minutes to put it together and 45 minutes to bake, leaving you with time to relax or whip up a few sides, whatever you’d prefer!
Gimme some of your tots.
How do you Make Tater Tot Casserole from Scratch?
You’ll brown the ground beef and then add the onion, seasonings, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook it until the meat is no longer pink, then drain the skillet. Add your meat to a large mixing bowl and combine it with sour cream, the soup cans, the veggie cans, and part of the shredded cheese. Mix it all up together and then spread it into a prepared baking dish, topping with an even layer of those tater tots. Bake it for 45 to 50 minutes, top with the rest of the cheese, and throw it in a few more minutes until the cheese melts.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Tater Tot Hotdish Every Time
- Make it healthier with ground turkey. If you don’t eat beef or want to make a lighter version, ground turkey works just as well.
- Add any other veggies you like. You can even sub in frozen peas or broccoli if you like them better than corn and green beans.
- Soup swaps work well too. The key is choosing something savory and creamy so if you don’t have condensed cheddar or cream of mushroom, you can use cream of celery or cream of chicken and it will still be delicious.
Where did tater tot casserole come from?
We can thank the kindhearted folks in the Midwest for this famed casserole hotdish. Some call it “church lady casserole”. Call it what you like but tater tot hotdish recipe is just one of those homey and satisfying dishes that welcomes you in with Midwestern charm.
How to Cook Tater Tot Casserole
This tatertot casserole recipe needs to start on the stove with the meat and seasonings. Once the meat is no longer pink, it becomes part of the mixture of soups, veggies, cheese, and sour cream in your baking dish. When you top it with the frozen tater tots, it goes in the oven and when it comes out, you’ll be amazed how delicious this simple dinner is!
How Long to Bake Tater Tot Casserole
Tater tot casserole should bake for 45 to 50 minutes. It will vary by oven so set your timer to check in on it at 45 minutes.
How do you make crispy tater tot casserole in the oven?
When you make this recipe for tater tot casserole, you will find your tater tots nice and crispy. That’s because we don’t cover them up and they’re on top, allowing to crisp up nicely. Once you add that finishing touch of cheese, it’s perfection!
How do you make tater tot casserole crunchy?
To make tatertot casserole crunchy, you need to bake it uncovered on the top rack. When you do, your tater tot casserole will have a wonderful and crunchy exterior followed by a rich and creamy center for the perfect contrast!
What goes good with Tater Tot Casserole?
Because tater tot casserole is so hearty and filling, and it has all the major food groups, you will want to keep your sides simple. I always love serving up a good crispy and fresh salad. The kids love when I make homemade ranch to go with my garden salad because they like to drizzle some on the casserole too. You can also sauté up some spinach or make zoodles from your zucchini as lighter sides are best with this dish.
Can tater tot casserole be frozen?
Yes! Tater tot casserole is a wonderful casserole to freeze. You should take it out the night before you plan to make it for dinner and keep it in your fridge. This way it will be easier to heat for your dinner.
How do you Store Tater Tot Casserole?
Once everyone is stuffed, you can cover the casserole with foil and put it in the fridge. If your family is like mine, they’ve probably eaten most of it so you can tuck the leftovers into an airtight container and take up less space.
How Long Does Tater Tot Casserole Last?
In your fridge, you’ll have about 3 to 4 days to finish up this casserole. But if you’re left with loads of leftovers, the freezer is the place to put it.
Can tater tot casserole be frozen?
Heck yes! It will last up to 3 months if you cover it well or seal it in airtight containers.
How to Reheat Tater Tot Casserole?
The best way to reheat tater tot casserole is in your oven. It brings it back to life with the same flavors as the first time you served it. Preheat your oven to 350F, cover it with foil, and heat it for about 30 minutes.
Watch How To Make Tater Tot Casserole (Video)
Classic Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 32 oz package of frozen tater tots
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 white onion (diced)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/8 cup sour cream
- 1 10oz can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 10oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 15oz can corn
- 1 15oz can green beans
- First, prepare a 9/13 baking dish by spraying with a non-stick cooking spray and preheat the oven to 350F. Then, in a large skillet, brown your ground beef. Add in the onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Set the skillet aside when the beef is no longer pink.
- Drain the grease from the skillet if necessary and place the beef mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add in the sour cream, cans of soup, corn, green beans, and 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish in an even layer and top with a layer of tater tots. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling and the tater tots are golden brown.
- Take the remaining shredded cheese and top the casserole. Bake until the top layer of cheese is melted.
More tater tot recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.