Comforting, cheesy, and crowd-pleasing, nothing will make you a morning hero faster than presenting a hashbrown casserole recipe for breakfast. For big family gatherings or a big weekend brunch, you can do no wrong with this hash brown recipe that everyone wants to eat!
Best Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
My husband and kids say this is the best hashbrown casserole recipe. Yes, even better than the Cracker Barrel! And if you love eating there, you can make this cheesy potato recipe and get your fix of one of the best casseroles ever!
Easy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
This hashbrown casserole is so easy, you’ll have it in the oven in no time. For breakfast or brunch, that means you can put you your feet for a bit and enjoy your coffee. These simple ingredients come together in one casserole dish to delight you and anyone who joins you at the table.
Hashbrown Casserole Ingredients
- Frozen shredded hashbrowns – The base of our cheesy hashbrown casserole, of course!
- Melted butter – For that added richness
- Cream of chicken soup – Adds that creamy and savory component.
- Sour cream – For a tang and more creamy texture.
- Onion – Adds pungent flavor to break through that creaminess.
- Colby cheese – Because cheese is where it’s at for this cheesy potato casserole.
- Pepper – Just a pinch is all you need!
How do you Make Hash Brown Casserole from Scratch?
You’ll preheat your oven to 350F and as you wait for it to heat, mix all the ingredients together except for about half a cup of cheese. Pour it into your greased casserole dish and then top with that cheese. Then bake it up!
Who cares about hashtags when theres hashbrowns.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Hashbrown Casserole Every Time
- Let the hashbrowns thaw a bit. This keeps your hash brown potato casserole from being runny and also allows you to combine the ingredients more easily.
- Drain them too. Once you let them thaw, make sure you drain out excess moisture for the best casserole.
- Cheese it up. You can add more cheese if you wish! It just makes your cheesy hash browns better.
- Use low sodium if needed. You may have noticed I didn’t add salt in my ingredients. With the cream of chicken soup and the cheese, it’s already going to be salty enough. But if you worry about heart health, choose the reduced sodium version of the soup.
How to Cook Hashbrown Casserole
Some versions of hashbrown casserole start on the stove but this one is all in your oven. Just combine the ingredients and spread them into your casserole dish, then bake. This cheesy hashbrown potatoes recipe is that simple!
Do you thaw frozen hash browns before cooking?
Yes, you need to thaw hash brown potatoes before you cook them. First off, they won’t combine well with the other casserole ingredients. And secondly, they will make the casserole watery.
How do you cook frozen hash browns?
Frozen hashbrowns can be cooked on the stovetop or in the oven. It’s best to thaw them for use in this casserole. Most hashbrowns have instructions on how to prepare them on the packaging.
What is the best way to cook frozen hash browns?
Well, you can cook them as directed on the package. Or you can thaw them and toss them into this casserole. I vote for the latter because it is easier and cheesier!
How do you heat hash browns in the oven?
You can put them on a baking sheet and bake at 400F for about 30 minutes until they’re crispy. You can also cook them in this tasty, cheesy recipe!
How do you make crispy hash browns from scratch?
The trick is shredding them on a grater, then rinsing and draining them to remove the starch. From there, you can get them ready to use in this hashbrown casserole recipe.
Why are my hash browns not crispy?
You must drain them and dry them properly first. Potatoes retain lots of water. Getting that water out is the secret to crispy hashbrowns.
How do you make hash browns not soggy?
Put them in cold water for 15 minutes. This will keep them from turning gray too and also help them get crispy.
Can I substitute fresh potatoes for frozen hash browns?
Absolutely! Though you will need to do more prep work. The frozen hashbrowns shorten your prep and cooking time. If you’re not in a hurry, fresh potatoes will work just fine.
Is there meat in Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole?
No, but there is cream of chicken soup, so if you have any vegetarians breaking bread with you, you should let them know.
What can I substitute for sour cream in cheesy potatoes?
You can use plain yogurt as a complete swap. It will taste much the same and make it a little healthier or save you when you are making the recipe and realize you’re out of sour cream.
How Long to Bake Hashbrown Casserole
Hashbrown casserole needs to bake for 45 minutes at a temperature of 350F.
What goes well with Hashbrown Casserole
There are so many things that you’ll love serving with hashbrown casserole. It’s great with pork chops, chicken tenders, fried chicken, burgers, and it’s a beloved treasure at any potluck or gathering. Seriously, make it and watch it disappear!
How to Store Hashbrown Casserole
Hashbrown casserole should be allowed to cool and then covered with foil. It should then go into the refrigerator. That is, if you have any leftovers!
How Long Does Hashbrown Casserole Last?
If you have leftovers, you can eat that hashbrown casserole from the fridge within 3 days. I’d be amazed if you have more leftover, but if you do, your freezer is an excellent place to store shredded potato casserole.
Can you freeze a hash brown casserole?
Yes. You can even make it in advance and freeze it. If I’m taking it to a gathering, I put it in an aluminum casserole dish. Cover it with foil and put it in the freezer after assembling so it’s ready to bake when you are. Just thaw it in your fridge 24 hours prior to baking.
Should you thaw frozen hash browns before cooking?
Yes, you should because you need to get rid of the excess moisture. To make this hashbrown casserole successfully without it becoming watery, make sure you thaw them out first.
How to Reheat Hashbrown Casserole?
Thaw it overnight in your fridge, then bake at 325F for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Watch How To Make Hashbrown Casserole (Video)
Creamy Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- 32 oz frozen shredded hash browns
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 10 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2/3 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cups colby cheese (grated)
- black pepper (pinch)
- First, preheat the oven to 350F. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cheese. Place the mixture into a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 45 minutes until bubbly. Serve hot.
More hashbrown cassereole recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.