Looking for something simple and fresh to kick off a meal with friends and family? This homemade bruschetta recipe has you covered. With plenty of bold flavors from tomatoes and herbs, you top it onto warm, golden and toasty French bread for a perfect party app or dinner starter that everyone will enjoy!
Best Bruschetta Recipe
Once, I bought bruschetta ready-made. Mistake! It was only after serving it that I noticed the label and all the unnecessary ingredients. Now I make my own and when you see how easy it is to make restaurant quality bruschetta, you’ll always make it any chance you get.
Ingredients in Homemade Bruschetta
- Tomatoes – The star of any tomato bruschetta recipe and the most important of all the bruschetta toppings. You’ll need to pick 9 tomatoes, either Roma or plum, and dice them up.
- Fresh basil – This is the key to the best bruschetta recipe. Chop it up!
- Parmesan cheese – Choose the shredded variety.
- Garlic – For a robust flavor.
- Balsamic vinegar – Adds that contrasting tartness.
- Olive oil – Balances the tart vinegar flavor.
- Salt and pepper – To taste.
- Toasted bread rounds – Use French or Italian bread and toast it up as you’re making the bruschetta.
You had me at bruschetta.
Easy Bruschetta Recipe
Did you just invite some friends over on a whim? This easy bruschetta recipe will be ready by the time they pull into your driveway. It takes just minutes to make impresses everyone. Even if it’s just for your own family, you’ll be happy to serve up a snack or appetizer made from wholesome foods.
How do you Make Bruschetta from Scratch
When making this Italian bruschetta recipe you’ll add the tomatoes, parmesan, basil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper to a large bowl and combine them. Do this while you’ve got your bread toasting so you can serve it while the bread is still warm.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Bruschetta Every Time
- Always go as fresh as possible. When making bruschetta bread, buy the ingredients fresh so their flavors speak for themselves.
- You can make ahead for parties. Only by a few hours, but it will ensure all you need to do is toast the bread and spoon it on as guests arrive.
- Leftover bruschetta bread is great for meals. You can top it onto chicken and bake for a wonderful and easy dinner.
What is classic bruschetta?
Bruschetta in its classic form consists of diced tomatoes with balsamic vinegar, basil, olive oil, garlic, and parmesan topped onto sliced rounds of toasted bread.
What bread is bruschetta made from?
The bread used in homemade bruschetta is usually French bread or Italian bread. Anything crusty like that is a robust choice that will support bruschetta topping.
What can I use instead of bread for bruschetta?
You can roast eggplant slices and use them though they will be soggier than bread. Another option is to choose cucumbers or crackers if you don’t have bread.
How do you cut tomatoes for bruschetta?
You’ll dice the tomatoes for bruschetta. This keeps them in bite-sized bits that make eating this appetizer all the more delightful.
What can I use instead of basil in bruschetta?
Basil is truly the best, but if you can’t find any fresh, you can try fresh thyme or oregano instead.
What is the topping on bruschetta called?
The bread is technically called ‘bruschetta’ but most people refer to it with the topping as bruschetta all together. Most people will just say ‘bruschetta’ meaning the bread and topping though. You can top a bruschetta any way you like!
How do you keep bruschetta from getting soggy?
Don’t use a bread that’s too soft. If you toast regular bread it will become soggy. That’s why French or Italian bread is best for holding up to bruschetta. Also, don’t top it too early. Any bread will cave under this mixture when left to sit too long.
Is bruschetta served hot or cold?
The bruschetta topping is cold but the bread you put it on should be warm.
What goes well with Bruschetta?
Anything Italian is a match for bruschetta so consider serving it as an appetizer to your pasta meals. It can also stand up on its own for appetizers at parties alongside other options no matter how varied they may be.
How to Store Bruschetta
Bruschetta bread should be kept in an airtight container in your fridge to keep it from spoiling.
How Long Does Bruschetta Last?
It will be good for several days in your fridge, though if you’re serving it for a party, you will not want to make it more than a few hours ahead for the best flavor.
Can You Freeze Bruschetta?
Yes, you can freeze the tomato mixture of bruschetta. It’s certainly better than wasting it!
How to Reheat Bruschetta?
No need to reheat the tomato mixture. Just let it thaw in the fridge overnight. As for the bread, put it in the oven at 350F and sprinkle a little water on it to keep it from drying out. Heat for 5 minutes and it will be ready.
Watch How To Make Bruschetta (Video)
Classic Bruschetta Recipe
- 9 roma or plum tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 black pepper
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread (sliced into rounds and toasted golden brown )
- In a large bowl, add the tomatoes, basil, parmesan cheese,garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stir together until thoroughly combined. Place about 1-2 tbsp of the mixture on each bread slice. Serve immediately
More bruschetta recipes:
Never Miss A Recipe!
Join thousands of HowToCook.recipes subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.