By far the BEST traditional chili recipe that reminds you of home. This is a family favorite that warms your soul and makes exceptional leftovers that are quick and easy!
- 3 tbsp olive oil (with optional red chili pepper flakes)
- 5 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 1/2 cups red onion (chopped)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp red chili powder (adjust for spice preference)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 29oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 15oz can of black beans (drained)
- 32oz can of kidney beans (drained)
- 3 serrano peppers (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet peppers
- 29oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 small tub sour cream (for topping)
- 1 small bag shredded cheese (for topping)
- 1 bunch cilantro (chopped) (for topping)
In a large pot, over medium heat the olive oil and minced garlic for about 2 minutes. Once heated, add onions and stir until they caramelize and become semi-translucent which takes about 5 minutes.
Add the ground beef into the mixture and mix well until cooked through.
Add in the serrano peppers, black beans, kidney beans, cumin, red chili powder, and garlic powder. Once mixed, add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low heat to medium low cover and simmer for 25-35 minutes.
Serve by topping with scoop of sour cream, shredded cheese, and chopped cilantro.
Calories: 403kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 1067mg | Potassium: 582mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2158IU | Vitamin C: 57mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 4mg